Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: MRO vs. RMR for carbine?

My wife and I were shooting carbines this afternoon. With her glasses, as co pared to contacts, she found both a T1 and T2 to be very misshaped, and enough so, it negatively impacted her ability to shoot small groups at 50 and beyond (which normally is easy for her). She then tried the RMR on my Benelli, and saw a very nice shaped dot.

While not as rugged as a T1/2, makes me want to mess with a RMR some on a carbine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

When I zero my T1/T2, I usually flip up a rear aperture iron sight. I find it really helps refine the dot, particularly when I'm trying to focus on a small target for groups.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I'm just a guy. My gunning experience is as someone who likes to gun game and play run-n-gun, so take this as you will.

I've tried the RM08G (12.9MOA Green Triangle), RM01 (3.25MOA always on LED) & RM06 (3.25 adjustable LED). For comparison, I've also had time behind both the R1/H1 & the T1, the Comp M4S and to a lesser extent the Aimpoint PRO.

I found the Comp M4S to have the best dot, tracked the best and allowed me to shoot the most accurate at distance.

I found the RMRs and their very restrictive FOV to give me 'tunnel vision'. I found the dual illuminated reticule useless, which was really disappointing because I've never had a problem with my dual illumination TR24 or TR25. I was able to be more accurate with the RM06 when I could dial the brightness down; the compromise was speed at tracking the dot. I also hate that they're all "absolute cowitness" height (I don't shoot with irons much because of this) which causes me to crane &strain my neck. I find optics setup at the lower 1/3 cowitness height to be a much more natural position for me to come and shoot from.

I have an astigmatism and have given up with red dots, I'm spending my money on LPV optics now.

I think Pat MacNamara runs an RMR atop his carbine as the primary optic. He may be done with being sneaky and such, but I'm pretty sure he uses the crap out of his gear still. I had an 06 left over after trying it as an offset on my 18" AR. When I built a second lightweight carbine I bought an ADM Mount for it as a place holder of sorts till my MOS arrives. So far so good, but then I'm no carbine expert not do I run the crap out of my gear. I didn't find the FOV limiting and actually prefer it over the T1/2. For some weird reason those things make me feel like I'm looking through a straw (most likely due to lack of experience as I've only borrowed them). I wouldn't feel under equipped unsung one. Not sure what happened to the emitter during a rain storm though.

User Tag List