Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO vs. RMR for carbine?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    To the original question, the MRO is the superior optic for a carbine on paper, as it has an enclosed emitter and is cheaper than the RMR.

The only problem for me is that in the two MROs I've handled, there is noticeable distortion (magnification?) in the sight picture, more so than with the RMR, which already has some; my Aimpoint T1 exhibits no noticeable distortion, FWIW. I do agree that the dot is round and well-defined; I use corrective lenses (not sure if I have astigmatism in my right eye, if I do, it's quite mild, as my prescription only has toric lenses on my left eye), and the T1 looks like a comma, though the RMR is also nice and round.
    +1 on the distortion/magnification. I've witnessed this with the samples we have in the shop as well as much more severe blue tint than the Aimpoint.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    +1 on the distortion/magnification. I've witnessed this with the samples we have in the shop as well as much more severe blue tint than the Aimpoint.
    That is what I have been hearing as well. I was pretty excited for this optic, now I am going to make sure to check one out instead of just ordering it.

I'm not sure I would recognize this distortion. What does it look like and what does it do?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I must admit, the reports on the distortion/fisheye have given me pause. The MRO interests me (particularly the consistent reports of a round dot, as my T1 appears somewhat distorted to my eye) but I'll need to inspect a sample before I commit.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

A co-worker bought an MRO last week, and had it delivered at the office. We only looked through it for a few minutes, but we both agreed that it had clear magnification at 50 yards, and I would guess about 1.5x based on what that looks like through my TR24. It has a blue tint, but not unbearable, and mostly around the edges like my T1. The dot was nice, love the FOV as well as the adjustment knob on top (more positive clicks than my T2), but not a fan of the exposed windage/elevation screws, even if flush mounted.

Time will tell on durability, but Trijicon has a good track record. I think he paid $450 from Optics Planet with absolute co-witness. Either way, I'm glad to see a worthy competitor to the micro series in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm not sure I would recognize this distortion. What does it look like and what does it do?
    Basically the image from your left eye and your right eye will not mesh very well, as they're slightly different. Jumps out to me immediately, and definitely fucked with me a little. I'm sure it's something that can be trained over without too much issue, and it's a non-issue if you're one of those people that closes one eye to use a red dot (which is technically the wrong way to use them, I suppose). IIRC, there was a very noticeable blue tint, but I have that same issue with my RMRs, and the tint issue doesn't really bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Basically the image from your left eye and your right eye will not mesh very well, as they're slightly different. Jumps out to me immediately, and definitely fucked with me a little. I'm sure it's something that can be trained over without too much issue, and it's a non-issue if you're one of those people that closes one eye to use a red dot (which is technically the wrong way to use them, I suppose). IIRC, there was a very noticeable blue tint, but I have that same issue with my RMRs, and the tint issue doesn't really bother me at all.
    Thanks! I did not notice that with two eyes open but maybe my brain adjusts for it based on monovision contacts for years.

I was also struck by how the body/tube of the sight seemed almost ghost ring like and the field of view seemed wide open.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have both...

The RMR is pretty damn good, difficult to say anything bad about it, but its not designed (in my opinion) to be a dedicated rifle optic, especially on a 16inch gun.

The MRO I still have to put some time behind, though initially its pretty much the Aimpoint killer they market it to be, in my eyes and at first impression, only time will tell what happens.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Aimpoint's pricing and lack of technological advances have made their market share ripe for the plucking. My next RDS will be the Primary Arms Advanced Micro. Follow that link and you can get it with a mount for $200 out the door (Prime). 5 year battery life and I just had a conversation yesterday with one of the world's top carbine trainers on his experience with these things and his reports were absolutely positive.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-09-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Aim point's pricing and lack of technological advances have made their market share ripe for the plucking. My next RDS will be the Primary Arms Advanced Micro. Follow that link and you can get it with a mount for $200 out the door (Prime). 5 year battery life and I just had a conversation yesterday with one of the world's top carbine trainers on his experience with these things and his reports were absolutely positive.
    This is the new version right?

The older version sucked really badly...I still have one that works...sometimes...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List