Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a Bear Skull in Gatlinburg

Found a Bear Skull in Gatlinburg

So I was hiking around in Gatlinburg, TN this weekend and happened across a partially intact black bear skeleton. The skull was terrifying. It is insainely thick & dense beyond the nasal cavity. I now fully understand why you need "enough" gun in bear country.

Not sure how old this bear was or how it died. The skull was pretty big though & looked like it came from an adult.

Need pictures.
    #RESIST

A bear skull is one of the coolest Euro mounts there is. Pure predator.

Very cool find! Thanks for sharing. I love hiking in the Smokies. Never seen a bear there.

Would .40 cal FMJ be a reasonable load for black bear? Would a hot 9mm FMJ work?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Need pictures.
    Unfortunately I didn't have my phone with me...so no pics
    Last edited by WDW; 10-06-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Very cool find! Thanks for sharing. I love hiking in the Smokies. Never seen a bear there.

Would .40 cal FMJ be a reasonable load for black bear? Would a hot 9mm FMJ work?
    I have no idea. I'd lean more towards a hard cast .44 magnum

Not to be a Dick but a Black bear skull is not impressive. Good accurate 22lr shot to the head will do the job. I kill blackies with 223, 75 gr PPU Match.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post

Think it's less if you shoot it in the face will it die and more if you shoot it in the face will it stop.
    Generally speaking if you shoot a bear in the face it will stop. By all accounts, anyways.
    Interesting video on how NOT to deploy bear spray.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Not to be a Dick but a Black bear skull is not impressive. Good accurate 22lr shot to the head will do the job. I kill blackies with 223, 75 gr PPU Match.
    I'd be impressed to see one. My brother has one from a bear hunt in Idaho, I think it's pretty cool.
    #RESIST

A griz skull is much bigger and thicker, but still basically shaped the same. Either way, it is a very cool looking skull.

User Tag List