Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Uniform Carry at 1 or 2 o'clock experiences?

Question Open Uniform Carry at 1 or 2 o'clock experiences?

Hi guys,

I am experimenting with carrying my duty pistol at the 1 or 2 o'clock position on my uniform belt. It looks a little bit like the position most IPSC shooters have for their guns. I am trying this, because I wear my pistol concealed at the 1 o'clock AIWB. The next reason is, that we noticed that the worst disarming attend from behind is nearly impossible now or at least much easier to defeat.
    So my question is: has anyone already experimented with this position?

Thanks,

Frank
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-09-2015 at 07:56 AM.

No personal experience, but I have seen some female officers wear their holster farther forward.

Many of our Guard force at 8th and I have thier holster pushed forward like this while they are in dress blues, they don't have the arm mobility in the dress uniform to be able to draw from thier normal holster location , especially when also wearing a vest under the blues jacket.

A good friend of mine used to wear a Safariland 070 up front like that. Probably 1:30 or 2 o'clock. He's the only guy I know who could deliver sub 1 second hits on a 8x10 steel from 7 yards with that holster.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I'm close to two. The big thing for me is that it keeps the holster and magazine out of the seat bolsters and is a lot more comfortable for my lower back.

I've considered the gun grab thing, it might be easier to physically defend but, at the same time it makes that pistol a whole hell of a lot more visible. I think it's a wash in that regard.

Whatever works for you.....

As for IPSC/USPSA... Some divisions don't allow you forward of your hip bone so not everyone can carry at 1,2, etc.. Those that can, the reason they do is because they essentially place their gun where their arms naturally hang.... "Arms hanging naturally at sides" is a common start positoin. If the common start position was hands touching thighs, you'd see gamers move their holsters back... So if you can position your pistol basically right at your hand you have an advantage. Those guys often have reverse can'ts as well so that's something to consider.

Me, I shoot Production so I have to have my pistol no further than my hip bone going forward - and I do put it right there. Again, it puts my hand as close to the pistol as possible. So probably like 9:15 since I'm left handed. I carry a G34 in an ALS in uniform about the same place but I have to get in a car and stuff like that so too far forward would restrict that. But my draw at work could start from interview stance, the steering wheel, holding a notebook. I really don't know if from all those position the difference between 1,2,3 (9,10,11 for lefty) is really that much different.... especially with most duty pistol having a rearward can't.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 10-06-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    A71593

In uniform I carry a Glock 31 in a mid-rise thumb snap with a forward cant, so it ends up at right about 2 to 215. I can see people getting away with 1 or 2 carry in duty gear with a high rise but any thing lower to me would get in the way of your leg as your seated, IMHP...........Bill
    Bill

I carry mine around 2:00...maybe 2:30...works well with an interview stance. No issues.

I carry a P226 in a Safariland 075 (low ride 070) at about 2-2:30. The only reason it works is because the cant allows my leg to bend into the gap between the sight channel and adjacent OC pouch. I don't think this would work in a straighter drop holster like the 6360, which rides at about the same height relative to the belt.

-G
    Last edited by DpdG; 10-06-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

When in uniform, I carried a P226 in a straight drop GW Davis 4500 at the 2:30 (just in front of the hip). That later changed to a Safariland 200LS Top Gun. This model Top Gun was designed specifically for LSP and featured a true straight drop with enhanced thumb break. For me, this position offers the fastest presentation, especially if you factor in a bladed stance when dealing with folks.

User Tag List