Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nyeti/Tamara...this is all y'alls fault.

Nyeti/Tamara...this is all y'alls fault.

Bought myself this (no dash 686) for a graduation present. Even though I'm 100% in the Glock corner, I've always wanted a custom "fightin" revolver.....which is what I intend to turn this one into.

Good-looking gun.
    I skipped the L-frames for Ks and Ns.
    Sometimes I think I made a mistake there.

No lock. Nice. IMO K frames are too little to enjoy magnum loads but the L isn't bad. You'll love that. Hang onto it. It seems departed L frames are some of the most regretted sold guns.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    Good-looking gun.
    I skipped the L-frames for Ks and Ns.
    Sometimes I think I made a mistake there.
    I am sort of in the same boat. While I have a bunch of "L"s, I really like either the AK's as true .38 guns and the N's as pure magnum guns. Where I really like the L frames is as 5 shot .44 specials.

With that being said,great looking gun and will likely be a joy to shoot, especially with .38 practice loads. Anytime I can help being an enabler, it is a good day.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Anytime I can help being an enabler, it is a good day.
    You have no idea of the havoc you are wreaking on our bank accounts!

In all fairness to the 27s and 28s, the L frame is probably the best 357 Smith has ever built. I shoot full bore 357s in mine and it is highly accurate and comfortable to shoot. Heavier calibers require N and larger frames.

I also have a Model 69 44 Mag built on a L Frame it speaks greatly to the inherent strength of the frame.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 10-07-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add data

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    In all fairness to the 27s and 28s, the L frame is probably the best 357 Smith has ever built. I shoot full bore 357s in mine and it is highly accurate and comfortable to shoot. Heavier calibers require N and larger frames.

I also have a Model 69 44 Mag built on a L Frame it speaks greatly to the inherent strength of the frame.
    The heavy .357 loads pioneered by Keith and Skelton will beat an L frame to pieces. If you're sticking to factory loads other than the Buffalo Bore then an L frame will last a lifetime.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post

The key is how many .357's. I was around in the days of many agencies who regularly trained with and shot .357 Magnum in high numbers had major issues with the 686's. San Bernerdino County Sheriff's comes to mind. I recently was going to buy a .357 5" model 27 that was apparently a former Dallas PD gun that lived on full house .357. I could tell because there was enough flame cutting in the top strap that was the depth of a big paper clip wire. Lock up was great and timing was on. You would not see this with an L frame. For an individual, you will likely be fine with an L frame. For a .357 magnum only agency back in the day not so much.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 10-07-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Nice find! In the frame behind the crane, where the serial and model numbers are, is there an "M" stamped? This would indicate that the gun had been through the recall for the fp bushing.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I recently was going to buy a .357 5" model 27 that was apparently a former Dallas PD gun that lived on full house .357. I could tell because there was enough flame cutting in the top strap that was the depth of a big paper clip wire. Lock up was great and timing was on. You would not see this with an L frame. For an individual, you will likely be fine with an L frame. For a .357 magnum only agency back in the day not so much.
    How many rounds was the DPD qual course?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List