Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Wheel-gun Deals ?

Great Wheel-gun Deals ?

O.K. there are some guns posted by folks here that are things of beauty. Objects which deserve our admiration (and our good natured envy of their fortunate owners ). - This thread is at the other end of the scale, and for the inner cheapsake/bargain hunter in us. If you were advising a cash strapped young college kid as to a great deal in a revolver, what would you suggest ? (College kid is a nephew.) I won't be any more specific than this, so to get as many suggestions as possible. - - A few years ago I bought several police and armor car company trade-in S&W M10 and M64 revolvers. They had some character marks on the outside, but they all have that great old S&W trigger and shoot very well. All of them were purchased for $250-275 each, but they are quality firearms despite their modest price.

Your suggestions on great revolver bargains that my nephew might find today would be greatly appreciated. -
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    O.K. there are some guns posted by folks here that are things of beauty. Objects which deserve our admiration (and our good natured envy of their fortunate owners ). - This thread is at the other end of the scale, and for the inner cheapsake/bargain hunter in us. If you were advising a cash strapped young college kid as to a great deal in a revolver, what would you suggest ? (College kid is a nephew.) I won't be any more specific than this, so to get as many suggestions as possible. - - A few years ago I bought several police and armor car company trade-in S&W M10 and M64 revolvers. They had some character marks on the outside, but they all have that great old S&W trigger and shoot very well. All of them were purchased for $250-275 each, but they are quality firearms despite their modest price.

Your suggestions on great revolver bargains that my nephew might find today would be greatly appreciated. -
    Thanks
    Keep looking for police trade-ins. They come up from time to time. Also keep an eye on local gun shops. Some of them don't know what they have or just want to move things quickly.

Okie John

S&W K-frames (LE trade-ins or not) are still sound purchases, though the prices can be a bit inflated these days. They're still out there if you're patient; I screwed around and missed out on a 99% Model 10 4" HB recently for $350 .... it languished in the classified section of a local Forum for over 2 weeks before someone finally snatched it up.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I saw one fairly good deal at a gun store last weekend.
    Unfortunately for my revolver collection, I was mired to the hubs in a
    Browning Hi Power deal at the time.
    I don't think it will last till I round up some more gun cash.

Has anyone had or seen actual results from the RIA .38 revolver? Cheap.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

When I get really good deals the key is find them at unexpected places. Always look at your shops for that something different with a used tag on it. Something that just seems out of place. Also, you have to always be looking, and prepared to pounce quietly and emotionless when you find a deal. When I find something that looks like a steal I ll have the store clerk pull out a couple other guns with what I really want. I will ask what the clerk thinks of the guns I have selected to see if they know what they have, and to sometimes get some background on how they acquired it. This will often save me from surprises, and I can tell if the store has priced it based on the information they have, or if they really don't know what they have. Also, with some really good deals it is because the gun is perceived to be damaged. I got one recently that was a steal because the action was horrible and the gun didn't feel right and was hard to operate. I recognized the condition and jumped on it. After I got all the tons of gummed up WD40 out of it, it turned out to be a great deal.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    When I get really good deals the key is find them at unexpected places. Always look at your shops for that something different with a used tag on it. Something that just seems out of place. Also, you have to always be looking, and prepared to pounce quietly and emotionless when you find a deal. When I find something that looks like a steal I ll have the store clerk pull out a couple other guns with what I really want. I will ask what the clerk thinks of the guns I have selected to see if they know what they have, and to sometimes get some background on how they acquired it. This will often save me from surprises, and I can tell if the store has priced it based on the information they have, or if they really don't know what they have. Also, with some really good deals it is because the gun is perceived to be damaged. I got one recently that was a steal because the action was horrible and the gun didn't feel right and was hard to operate. I recognized the condition and jumped on it. After I got all the tons of gummed up WD40 out of it, it turned out to be a great deal.
    Are you sure you weren't a NY cop?

Ruger -Six series revolvers were underpreciated/underpriced on the market for years, but while good buys certainly still can be found, the market slowly seems to be waking up to their value, with prices seeming to rise over the past year or so.

Assuming no abuse (and realistically, it's pretty hard to terminally abuse a Ruger revolver), I still think any of the -Six series are good. While ostensibly Ruger no longer supports them, 1) I'm not sure that that's totally true, and they may actually situationally be supporting them, assuming the requisite parts needed are still on hand; and 2) To quote Jerry Kuhnhausen, not much really tends to go wrong on these revolvers-William Ruger typically over-engineered and over-built them.

Best, Jon

The trade in K frames are still around sometimes. I picked up a pair of model 15s for 250 each just 3 months ago. They're ugly and have armory numbers electro penciled on, but they work well and have great triggers.
    Found a bobbed model 60 at the same shop for 275 a couple weeks ago; used j frames seem to go fairly cheap.
    Last edited by scott; 10-06-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Has anyone had or seen actual results from the RIA .38 revolver? Cheap.
    I have been told that they have their problems, but that isn't first hand knowledge. Based on a RIA 1911 I got, I wouldn't be surprised if they are 500 round lifetime guns or something like that. Fine for someone who buys it and puts it away in a drawer--not so good if you're going to shoot it much. Again, however, that is only a surmise.

User Tag List