Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great Wheel-gun Deals ?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I was on a pretty big revolver kick there for a while a few years back...not so much anymore. At the moment that same guy has in his safe (1) 586, (2) 29-2's, a 4" 57, a 6" 57 with German import stamps, a snub nickel 15, a pre 25 .45 ACP, an 8 3/8" 17, a 4" 15, and a 4" 66.
    Well, I can help lighten your load, or his, just let me know.

I sometimes find good deals on smaller local gun forums with classifieds.

If the pistol doesn't have to be S&W and it doesn't have to be a centerfire cartridge you can find some excellent deals on High Standard Sentinels in .22 and occasionally .22 Mag.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Best .22 wheel gun for virgin shooter

Greetings y'all. I'm brand new to this forum...glad it's out here. I'm not a pro by any means, so no disrespect intended if my question is far off from what this site/thread is for. I"m looking for an ideal fit .22 revolver for my mother. She has never ever fired a weapon in her life. I'm moving away from the area and would like to help arm her but also don't want to get her anything she can't handle. I'm partial to Smith and Wesson (I have 2 of the M&P), but would love some advice/feedback from more seasoned folks.

My thought process is for a revolver rather than a semi to help her avoid rubber-wristing and wheel guns tend to be overall more reliable. I was also maybe thinking DAO to avoid any possible confusion for her...make sense? Any feedback appreciated. Again, I appreciate y'all and am looking forward to learning all I can from this site.

Site Supporter
    Just to answer your specific question and not inject any editorial about caliber performance, I would suggest a ruger lcr22. The trigger is easier to pull than any S&W that I've owned. It has a nice sized grip from the factory and I would also suggest getting the crimson trace LG-415 or 415G. She will most likely never practice enough to learn to focus on the front sight under stress and the laser may help in that case since it is projected on to the threat if she's pointing it at them.
    They also make them in other low recoiling calibers 22magnum and 327 Federal (you can shoot 32 H&R and 32 S&W in this one) which would be a step up in power and also the 38special. Standard pressure 38spec isn't bad in the LCR particularly with the larger grips.

I would second APS-PF idea of the LCR .22. Better DA trigger and much more reasonably priced that the very pricey J frames with heavier triggers.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm a little late to the party, but, for the OP: when I *was* a cash-strapped college lad, I bought an overrun NY-1 NPYD spec model 64 K-Frame. Since it was my only center fire handgun at the time, I used it for everything from plinking, to HD, to bowling pin matches, to taking the top shot target at LFI-1.

I'm happy to report that essentially the same thing is still available at equivalent prices at J&G Sales with great regularity. JMHO.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdbaker2040 View Post
    Greetings y'all. I'm brand new to this forum...glad it's out here. I'm not a pro by any means, so no disrespect intended if my question is far off from what this site/thread is for. I"m looking for an ideal fit .22 revolver for my mother. She has never ever fired a weapon in her life. I'm moving away from the area and would like to help arm her but also don't want to get her anything she can't handle. I'm partial to Smith and Wesson (I have 2 of the M&P), but would love some advice/feedback from more seasoned folks.

My thought process is for a revolver rather than a semi to help her avoid rubber-wristing and wheel guns tend to be overall more reliable. I was also maybe thinking DAO to avoid any possible confusion for her...make sense? Any feedback appreciated. Again, I appreciate y'all and am looking forward to learning all I can from this site.
    I'd suggest thinking about a S&W Model 10, maybe one of the round-butt police trade-ins. It should be possible to find a set of grips that will hit her hand. If you want a laser, Crimson Trace makes everything from thinnish grips to over-molded ones. A Model 10 will shoot everything from mouse-phart .38 loads to +Ps. Hornady makes some fairly light-recoil self-defense loads for .38s.

A centerfire revolver will likely have a lighter DA trigger-pull than a .22 revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'd suggest thinking about a S&W Model 10, maybe one of the round-butt police trade-ins. It should be possible to find a set of grips that will hit her hand. If you want a laser, Crimson Trace makes everything from thinnish grips to over-molded ones. A Model 10 will shoot everything from mouse-phart .38 loads to +Ps. Hornady makes some fairly light-recoil self-defense loads for .38s.

A centerfire revolver will likely have a lighter DA trigger-pull than a .22 revolver.
    + 1 Yep - good advice. For my nephew I'm going to suggest a 38 Special K frame trade-in. No lock and nice, smooth trigger action on those.

It does depend on the hand strength of the person as to what will work for them, though.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 10-17-2015 at 08:58 AM.

User Tag List