Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 325 Thunder Ranch VS 625

Site Supporter

S&W 325 Thunder Ranch VS 625

Hi I have had the .45 ACP wheel gun bug for a long time, I'm selling off some safe queens to fund a purchase. I'm leaning towards the 325 TR, I like lighter weight and the options for rails and lights etc. I've handled a few 625s and they are nice as well. if I end up with a 625 (either PC or JM) I'm sure I can handle the carry weight, I carry a Beretta 92 and have carried full sized 1911s and K and L frame revolvers as well.

So does anybody have a 325 TR? If so what kind of holster are you using?
    I can find a lot of reviews for the 625s but not many for the 325.

Thanks
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 10-20-2015 at 08:56 AM.

I prefer the 625's or 25's. I have a few of them, and they are all excellent. For my money, the steel guns are the way to go, unless we're talking about 442/642's. They just hold up better, long term. If that's not an issue for you, then no worries. I'm certainly not saying the scandium frame will break or something, but they really weren't designed for lots of shooting. I think the steel guns look classier as well, and if you're going to carry a revolver, why not do it in style?

I have a Sparks SS2 and a 5 Shot IWB that I am playing with for my N frames. Both work very well for behind the hip carry, and I don't notice the weight, even after a long day.

I agree with SLG. I have a number of Scandium revolvers and their analogs in stainless. The stainless guns are far easier to shoot, and seem more durable in heavier calibers. A Scandium .45 is actually quite jumpy, and it only gets worse with .44.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ditto above. I I have one of the 327's with moon clips and it is a great .38 special gun. For .357 Mag, I move to the steel versions and the 627's are great shooters. For .45, go with the steel version.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    You could go with a 1917 cut to 4" or one of the newer 4" 45 acp revolvers (m22 or m21). They would be lighter than the 625's. I may be way off base but I would not worry about the low pressure round of the 45acp as being to hard on a alloy n frame. My 396ng, 329pd and night guard all were nice shooting standard pressure 44sp and 45acp fmj is just a little more than 44sp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd happily take a 4" 1917. Where and how much?

I have a Colt M1917 that was cut down to 4", re-blued and adjustable sight installed. It still has it's "United States Property" marking on the underside of the barrel. What a sweet shooter it is with some Pachmeyer grips.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I have a Colt M1917 that was cut down to 4", re-blued and adjustable sight installed. It still has it's "United States Property" marking on the underside of the barrel. What a sweet shooter it is with some Pachmeyer grips.
    Show off.

Site Supporter
    SLG pm sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the responses, if I could find a 22-4 that wasn't $1200+ I would jump on it. I see some of the 1917 models on GB, but even getting one for $450 and then having the barrel chopped puts me in the same ballpark price wise as a 625 JM. So I'll keep look see what I can find.

User Tag List