Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressed subgun for HD use?

Site Supporter

Suppressed subgun for HD use?

I am considering options for a suppressed weapon for home defense and would like some feedback.

Based on research so far, there is really not a good hearing-safe option for a rifle caliber since subsonic .223/5.56 is a no-go and subsonic .300 BLK ammunition that expands is pretty much non-existant(?).

Sig's new 9mm subgun may hold some promise, with subsonic 9mm ammunition widely available. I realize 9mm projectiles may be less safe for use in a home than 5.56, but really any effective weapon poses a risk with missed shots.

A shotgun loaded with #1 buckshot holds some advantages, but is still very loud especially indoors.

So I ask, is there merit to the idea of a supressed pistol-caliber carbine for HD use? I have no experience with suppressed pistols, so I wonder if the handling characteristics are greatly affected by the weight of the can up front -- would a suppressed carbine handle better than a suppressed pistol? It would not be terribly difficult or expensive to set up one of my current handguns for suppressor use.

Thanks for any input.

Personally, I'd be inclined more towards adding something like the AWC Abraxas II for $500 to a 9mm pistol than I would starting down the black hole of subguns, suppressed or otherwise. My feeling is that, while some manufacturers may not have gotten the memo and continue to release new versions, the subgun has fallen largely out of favor meaning support for them can be dicey. Not to mention one tax stamp vs. two, overall financial investment in a completely new, different, firearm, etc.

The Thompson Machine Poseidon is another excellent micro can.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Plenty of cops have touched off shotguns, ARs, .357 mag, etc. indoors without measurable hearing loss. You ain't shooting a ton of shots. To me, the hearing loss argument is overrated and usually just an excuse to buy something "cool" to play with.

I *want* noise. I can't prove it, but I strongly suspect muzzle blast has a strong psychological impact on the target. Given that even a fatal shot is not an immediate stop, I want that impact.

Site Supporter
    There have also been cases of one shot in the right circumstance producing significant loss or tinnitus. I keep my electronic muffs by the significant HD gun. Of course, if I have to use the one I carry around the house in an emergency - that's life. The muffs are for the noise at night and time to put them on circumstance.

Site Supporter
    I keep electronic muffs close to my current HD gun as well -- just in case I have time to put them on in an emergency.

I already have moderate to severe hearing loss and tinnitus in one ear, I often find myself thinking about ways to best protect what I have left -- which has led me to this line of questioning.

I appreciate the input so far.
    Last edited by Robinson; 10-05-2015 at 11:55 AM.

300BLK with 110gr or 125gr bullets. 9" AAC upper with a 308 Suppressor, hearing safe. 300BLK does a very good job of consuming the propellant in the bore, so you do not get a loud AR-15 like you do with a 10.5" 5.56 upper. 300BLK is also very effective with those bullets inside 150 yards, good velocity and terminal effect (much better than 9mm or .45ACP). You get a firearm that you are familiar with (AR-15), reliable magazines, affordable and compact. SBR or pistol lower, each has disadvantages. 16" rifle is workable without a suppressor, but can be unwieldy with a 308 can attached. Mount a sling and a light, you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    300BLK with 110gr or 125gr bullets. 9" AAC upper with a 308 Suppressor, hearing safe. 300BLK does a very good job of consuming the propellant in the bore, so you do not get a loud AR-15 like you do with a 10.5" 5.56 upper. 300BLK is also very effective with those bullets inside 150 yards, good velocity and terminal effect (much better than 9mm or .45ACP). You get a firearm that you are familiar with (AR-15), reliable magazines, affordable and compact. SBR or pistol lower, each has disadvantages. 16" rifle is workable without a suppressor, but can be unwieldy with a 308 can attached. Mount a sling and a light, you are good to go.
    My understanding was that there are still no expanding/fragmenting sub-sonic 300 BLK loads, is that correct?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My understanding was that there are still no expanding/fragmenting sub-sonic 300 BLK loads, is that correct?
    There are companies who claim to offer expanding subsonic rounds, but I have not seen much published information resulting from testing or critical analysis. Without confidence in the performance of the bullet I would rather stick with either supersonic or a pistol round for suppressed use I guess.

I may be out of my lane here, but here's my take:

First I'll offer up the expert opinion of DocGKR with regards to pistol calibers in general:
    NONE of the common service pistol calibers generate temporary cavities of sufficient magnitude to cause significant tissue damage.
    So why, then do we still all carry around pistols? Presumably the answer is size as it relates to concealability and practicality of transport. When talking about a long gun (sub-gun being a "rifle" platform) why would we then limit ourselves to an ineffective round? Using a handgun for home defense does have some defend-able virtues: one-handed firing, concealability (when answering a suspicious door knock, that may turn out to be the police or friendly neighbor asking to borrow an egg), and familiarity of that is what one carries all day every day and regularly trains with. But since we're talking a carbine platform and not a handgun platform, we lose those benefits. Therefore, if we're going to use a carbine platform, why not use a caliber that offers the most ballistic benefit? That pretty much brings us to a 5.56 caliber AR15 type. As far as "hearing safe" when suppressed, I understand what the numbers say, but in reality, a suppressed 5.56 SBR indoors is still better than an un-suppressed pistol or shotgun and (arguably) far more effective by having greater capacity, the ability to defeat armor, and a ballistically-effective cartridge.

Bottom line, we don't use suppressed pistol caliber carbines because if we're going to have a carbine, we might as well have a more effective round.

They have a lot of CDI factor, but they fall short pretty much everywhere else.
    Last edited by ASH556; 10-05-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List