Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: El Faro

From this morning's Miami Herald. Sadly I don't think there is a lot of hope left at this point.

http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-ne...e37787241.html
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

No, I don't think there is much hope for them left. I pray their death was swift and merciful, because some of the ways to die at sea are painful and brutal.

I have to admit this has drawn my attention because I have a bit of personal connection to El Faro and her sisterships. I thought her silhouette looked very familiar and a conversation with my dad last night confirmed what I thought.

El Faro and her sisterships were originally built for Transamerican Trailer Transport in the early 70s for the roll on/roll off trade between east coast ports and Puerto Rico. My father began working for TTT in PR back in the late 60s and rose through the management ranks to achieve high level executive positions at TTT, Navieras de Puerto Rico, and Crowley Maritime.

While working as TTT's Operations VP, one evening after work he took me aboard one of the company's ships pierside in San Juan harbor at the container terminal. I must have been 8 to 10 years old at the time and was just completely awestruck by what I saw. An incredible long, sleek, all white ship, gleaming in spotlights as loading and onloading went on through the night. Touring the bridge and meeting the master was just something that blew me away, and probably was the spark that started my fascination with seamanship, navigation, and engineering. Eventually that led me to Annapolis, a commission as a line officer, and duty at sea for almost all of my active duty service.

Transamerican eventually ceased operations, with some of its ships absorbed by Navieras de PR (the state gov's owned container service). Navieras eventually was shut down and its ships sold off. Some I think went to Maersk Lines, and evidently some were bought by TOTE Marine Services.

I don't remember the name of the container ship that sparked my intense love of the sea and of ships, but if I remember correctly, there's a 1 in 4 chance that she was what eventually became El Faro.

It's so very sad for this old sailor to know that one of the ships that draw me into the maritime life is now gone, and with her 33 souls.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 10-06-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks for sharing. I never served, but my immediate family includes one LtCdr (ret) and one E9 (ret), USN.

I am sorry for the loss of life, and hope and pray they are in a better place.

User Tag List