Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rookie questions

Site Supporter
    Ear and eye protection are a must...I cheap out and do regular plugs under regular muffs...but get proper safety glasses.

As for guns....there are a lot of options. The Canik Tp9 seems to be a popular option for low cost shooters....personally, I'd go with a Glock...there are good prices for them online in various places. Then, a solid belt, a bladetech holster, four mag pouches and five mags. Maybe a set of sights if you need different ones.

Oh and a case or two of ammo helps too.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

you can pick up the smith optics aegis glasses for ~$20 right now, not bad for glasses meeting the MIL PRF 31013 standard

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/smi...colorFamily=01

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/smi...colorFamily=01

Other than that for a starter set

Glock 17
    Safariland 5197 holster
    Kytex mag carriers
    Wilderness belt
    Howard Leight electronic ear pro (I still wear plugs underneath)
    Last edited by pr1042; 10-04-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Here's a working starting point:

G34 with 5 magazines.
    G17 or 19 work if you want a bit more practical in the mix, but the 34 does really well in Production and is IDPA legal. Glocks are very easy to find parts/gear for and simple to work on.

Stay with the stock trigger (DIY polish if inclined) until you have at least a few matches under your belt.

Change the sights to something like the Dawson Fiber Optic front. Plain black rear. There are a few decent other manufacturers.

Decent stiff belt, 1.5" width. Galco actually makes a decent leather one. There are a few decent nylon options also. Don't really need a dedicated race belt system if you're just dipping your toe into the pool.

3x Ready Tactical magazine pouches. These are nice because they take up little space on the belt.

If you want to shoot both sports, look for an IDPA approved kydex holster. I personally use Dark Star Gear, Raven, and Blade-Tech. Make sure you order 1.5" belt width compatible loops/mounting systems on your gear.

Highly recommend some training before the first match, especially if you don't have pistol shooting experience. On your first match, let the folks in charge know that you are new, they should help you out in getting some guidance/help during the match.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    - Glock pistol
    - Wilderness Instructor Belt
    - Bladetech Kydex Outside the waistband

Use it stock, shoot a bunch, and figure out how you want to roll. Nothing is high speed or the best but it's a quality start.

Good safety glasses and hearing protection, I'd spend over a 100 on each. I am a big fan of Surefire ear plugs under Electronic hearing protection.

Welcome and enjoy.
    Combine these two posts and you're good.

If you shop around you can get a used Glock for the price of the new lower-tier guns you mentioned in the first post.

Also, avoid the temptation to buy something like a Fobus holster because you think it looks just like the Blade-Tech that was suggested. Save yourself a lot of headaches and just get thenBlade-Tech.

Just to try and further help...

Get this holster
    http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php...4#.VhJFd8LEyrU

These mag pouches (you'll want at least three for IDPA, four for USPSA)
    http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical...-p/rdt.103.htm

This belt (5-stitch)
    http://www.thewilderness.com/tactica...structor-belt/

Personally, I'd stay away from Glocks.

Too many other good options to limit yourself

In no particular order: Berettas 92 and PX4, CZ 75 and P-09, S&W M&P, SIG P226 and P320.....

Note that all my suggestions are full size pistols.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 10-05-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Since I had them already I competed with 1911s, Browing Hi-Powers and .41 Magnum M57 revolvers.
    If starting now I think I'd buy a full size S&W M&P in 9mm.

I have shot Glocks and DA/SA SIGs and Beretta M92s.
    They don't work for me as well as other makes. Lots of match shooters in my area run Glocks and SIGs and are
    happy doing so, however.

I think that, especially for someone starting out new, there's little reason not to start with the Glock, and lots of reasons to do so. Not everyone has special-snowflake tendencies early on. I do, however, think that the M&P would be a close second choice these days at it has become far more ubiquitous, and shares almost all of the same positive attributes of the Glock.

There is nothing "special snowflake" about guns that are not Glocks.

They are just not Glocks, which for many is a good thing.

OP- Keep it simple. Shoot the guns you have from the gear you have. Share, if you need or want to. At the match, focus on safe handling, safe movement, and good marksmanship.

My kids and I started with my G19s in simple kydex holsters and pouches, on some sort of riggers belt. Still similarly equipped we do well...and have a lot of fun.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I live in Stallings NC which is just south east of Charlotte NC.

Where are some good locations or websites to pick up a used glock, M&P or a CZ?

Any thoughts on the Sig P250. Retail is about $399.

User Tag List