Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie questions

Rookie questions

My son and I are just starting out with USPSA and IDPA and I would like some advice on gear that is needed. The single most important thing I guess is the pistol. Seeing that we are just starting out I am trying to keep the cost down. I m looking at the Taurus 24/7 and the SW SD9VE both being 9mm. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Thanks, Jay

Do you already own any pistols?

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

I'd avoid anything by Taurus. If you're looking at keeping costs down, the CZ P07 / P09's will get you into the game w/o breaking the bank.

No I don't have any equipment at all yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Do you already own any pistols?

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba

Here's a working starting point:

G34 with 5 magazines.
    G17 or 19 work if you want a bit more practical in the mix, but the 34 does really well in Production and is IDPA legal. Glocks are very easy to find parts/gear for and simple to work on.

Stay with the stock trigger (DIY polish if inclined) until you have at least a few matches under your belt.

Change the sights to something like the Dawson Fiber Optic front. Plain black rear. There are a few decent other manufacturers.

Decent stiff belt, 1.5" width. Galco actually makes a decent leather one. There are a few decent nylon options also. Don't really need a dedicated race belt system if you're just dipping your toe into the pool.

3x Ready Tactical magazine pouches. These are nice because they take up little space on the belt.

If you want to shoot both sports, look for an IDPA approved kydex holster. I personally use Dark Star Gear, Raven, and Blade-Tech. Make sure you order 1.5" belt width compatible loops/mounting systems on your gear.

Highly recommend some training before the first match, especially if you don't have pistol shooting experience. On your first match, let the folks in charge know that you are new, they should help you out in getting some guidance/help during the match.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Site Supporter
    - Glock pistol
    - Wilderness Instructor Belt
    - Bladetech Kydex Outside the waistband

Use it stock, shoot a bunch, and figure out how you want to roll. Nothing is high speed or the best but it's a quality start.

Good safety glasses and hearing protection, I'd spend over a 100 on each. I am a big fan of Surefire ear plugs under Electronic hearing protection.

Welcome and enjoy.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is: don't skimp on the guns.

You can buy used if you are on a budget, but don't compromise on quality. Get either 2 of the same gun or a long slide/full size or full size/compact combo of compatible guns. Like a G34 and G17, G17 and G19. CZ P09 and 07 are good options as mentioned above.

They have better resale value if you decide it isn't for you, and if it is for you you won't wind up angry about throwing money away on cheap guns when you want good ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome Jay.

I'm just starting out too; my first match is a USPSA Steel Challenge in two weeks.

Great advice in this thread.

My gear FWIW will be, from head down:

- MSA Sordin Pro-X
    - Surefire EP4 plugs
    - Champion Over-spec ballistic Wrap around eye pro
    - Cheap ball cap

- Ares Aegis belt
    - Blade tech OWB holster
    - Blade tech dual mag pouch
    - Blade tech single mag pouch

- Heckler and Koch VP9 with Trijicon HD yellows (it's my do-it-all, only handgun, so has to work for me)
    - Six magazines

Also, we have a group buy going on ear pro, let me know if you are interested. Prices are good through 10/31:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Sordin-Ear-Pro
    Last edited by RJ; 10-04-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Jay, post your location (generally). A bunch of us old timers are more than wiling to let new folks go hands on with our gear.

FWIW, around here, used Glocks (3RD GENs) are fairly inexpensive....

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    - Glock pistol
    - Wilderness Instructor Belt
    - Bladetech Kydex Outside the waistband

Use it stock, shoot a bunch, and figure out how you want to roll. Nothing is high speed or the best but it's a quality start.

Good safety glasses and hearing protection, I'd spend over a 100 on each. I am a big fan of Surefire ear plugs under Electronic hearing protection.

Welcome and enjoy.
    This right here. If you keep your eyes peeled you can get a used glock for a song (I've been seeing some good deals on used Beretta 92s and Px4s as well). Also if you don't mind shooting a true DAO I've seen new SIG P250s sell for under 300.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List