Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Nichols holster, belt, mag carrier

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Red Nichols holster, belt, mag carrier

I've wanted a Red Nichols holster ever since I saw his work on High Noon Holsters. I kept waiting for the Sigs to make the gun list, as it was Glocks and 1911s only for quite awhile. About the time he listed the P226 he stopped importing to the US through High Noon. (Red retired to Australia) I tracked him down in his semi-retirement via cyber-stalking....err, finding some forums he was a member of, and he agreed to make some gear for me. At this time he is offering his line up to current LEO's only.

This is a design he calls "Beat the Devil" and is an avenger style holster. He made it to fit both my P226/P220 AND my P229. I was not sure it would work well, but trusted Red knew his craft enough that if he said he could make it work he could make it work. It works. Perfectly. Retention and draw is perfect with them both. It is truly phenomenal work. Leather body, kangaroo lining (because why not kangaroo?) and ostrich leg trim.. The pictures with the stone background are Red's that he took before he shipped it to me. The much suckier indoor pictures are my own with a real gun and magazine in them. Since Red's in Australia now, even his access to pretend-guns is limited, which unfortunately keeps his list of available guns lower than more makers.

Now check this out with the belt laid flat. It's not just cut straight and call it a day. It's got a curve built in so it actually follows the line of your hips by rising slight on both sides. That's attention to detail. I really dig the "dress belt" thickness up front and the "gun belt" thickness everywhere else, it'll wear fine for suits for work or for jeans off duty.

The belt slots on the holster are cut so as to leave a lot of 'meat' around them, not just a big punch out. It makes it much more resistant to sliding around, even if you push slightly forward on the gun as you draw so it 'pops' forward as it clears. It also keeps the grip in tight but allows a full grip easily.

This is 100% by far the best OWB holster I've ever had. It's sexy, it's functional, it oozes quality, and I'm WELL satisfied I got more than my money's worth. Red's guarantee makes me chuckle a bit, but also shows how much he stands behind his work.

My holsters are guaranteed for normal use for the working life of its maker. During that time, if your holster is or becomes unsuitable to its safe use with your specified pistols, please send along proof of its destruction for a full refund.
    Red's given me permission to pass along his contact info to any CURRENT LEO ONLY who is interested in ordering from him at this time. He's working on setting up a way to import more easily and open up to the general public, but at this point he must remain low volume and has settled on CLEO as his way to do that.

I've got a bit more time with the belt now, including a range day and a day on duty. I didn't know what to expect from a curved belt, but it blew me away. I can wear it looser than a straight cut belt and it stays in place better. Usually once I hang my Sig, spare mag, radio, and badge on my belt I have to hike it back up every time I get out of the car, almost like a duty belt. With this curved design with it going up and over the hips it's like its glued in place. I expected nothing other than cosmetics from this design, I mean it's just a belt so who figured there'd be any meat left on the bone of belt design? It's ridiculous how much better it is, especially with a lot of weight on it.

Curved belts have been around for a long time, and all the better makers offer them. I haven't had a straight belt for over 20 years now, and they were around long before then.

Having said that, the rig looks very nice! Do you know what the thought was about leaving the trigger guard exposed at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Having said that, the rig looks very nice! Do you know what the thought was about leaving the trigger guard exposed at the bottom?
    I do, because I was also curious and asked the same question. Red's response:

"....the hole at the trigger guard is an aesthetic solution to a design, and a production, problem. From a design standpoint, my current range incorporates a spacer behind the guard, that I call a "twister", that forces the grip to lay parallel with the wearer's torso. That in turns forces all the pocket for the guard into the outermost layer of holster. On the Glocks that's a lot of pressure. And my moulds are made, not of cast aluminium but of softer plastic. So -- the hole, which I use on the SIGs and on the H&Ks when I used to build for them; but not on the 1911s. Got lemons? Make lemonade by adding water and sugar...."

That is a beautiful rig congrats!

Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Site Supporter
    Gorgeous rig! Any idea where/who sells curved gunbelts?

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Gorgeous rig! Any idea where/who sells curved gunbelts?

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    Other than Red, I don't.

Milt sparks I believe.

Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Milt sparks I believe.

Rick
    They do sell one, but it's a constant curve. More of a long bow shape, whereas the Nichols belt is more of a recurve bow shape, if that makes any sense.

Off the top of my head and in my closet, i have contoured belts from 5Shotleather, Milt sparks, Kramer, Fist, Andrews (On the way), Del fatti and Alessi.
    Last edited by SLG; 10-08-2015 at 08:28 PM.

User Tag List