Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How much ammo is enough

Recently the g19 and two spares.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    ...And the Westgate mall shooting makes me think some long range shooting practice with a pistol might be a very good routine to add to range sessions. By long range I mean past 25 up to 100.

Next time you are in an open public setting look and see what is the longest shot you could conceivably make.

I havent shot it near what many here have, but about 2/3 or 3/4 of what I've shot with it has been 2-300 yards. Just whats there and most interesting to shoot. The 19 was able to make 5-6/10 on the old 18" plate @ 300 shooting two handed. Would probably have to kneel to do it now.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-03-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Pretty much what I normally carry with various swaps when needed for specific dress codes or clothing requirements.

Always have an extra magazine on me and at least one straight blade. I have also gotten into the habit of carrying a CAT-T in a random pocket (especially if I have a jacket).

I almost always have a bag in my car with at least 2x more mags, more med-kit stuff, cuffs, gloves, and whatever else I need for that specific area. Sometimes I'll bring a rifle in a bag, sometimes I won't, depends on where I am going.

Re; westgate incident - guys with AK47's are probably not people you want to engage by yourself with just a pistol. It is one thing if you have the element of surprise and know for a fact you'll get at least two or three of them before the last one responds, but who knows in those situations. Trunk guns and/or bag guns seem to be the answer for that but who wants to carry around a rifle/pistol-caliber rifle on their back all the time and sometimes you might not be able to get to your car to get your rifle/shot gun.

@ 36:28
    "I had 14 rounds and it didn't quite cross our mind that we had small guns and they had big guns. A gun is a gun. At the end of the day is how good you are with it."
    Kenyan police officer.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=783_1...kCOSgkqG5Of.01

With a G17 or 19, on spare mag (17 for reloads) with a couple more in the truck or car. When I was carrying a P239, I'd carry two extra mags. Unless I'm in Indian country, and I don't go there since I retired, my general rule is one while carrying a double stack and two with a single stack.
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-03-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Worst thing you can do is run away.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I take care of myself and those with me. The sheeple are on their own.

I carry one gun and one reload. That may be as few as 10 rounds or as many as 30. That depends on where I am, what am I doing, or where am I going.

The notion that one cannot reasonably gauge risk factors depending on location is prima facie ridiculous and doesn't merit a counterpoint.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 10-03-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Usually a P2000; 14rds 147gr HST in the gun and a 15rd spare mag, occasionally a second spare if I have extra pocket space. (I need to get a couple pocketshields and set one up with an extra spare and spare light/knife)
    Sometimes a P30 with the same setup.
    Small percentage of the time a PPS with 7rds in the gun, 124gr +p Gold Dots and an 8rd spare. This is the going to work out, etc. gun.

That said, I am rarely without my silly Maxpedition manpurse if I am going to somewhere with any real exposure or for any length of time. It's got med gear, useful odds and ends, full size multitool, stuff like that. And an extra p30 mag, and a Sig P226 with 3x 18rd MecGars full of Gold Dots. The bag has just enough room left with all the gear in it to hold my iPad mini to uphold its cover identity.

If something goes way bad, I want a full sized pistol (if I happened to be carrying the PPS for some reason) or the ability to instantly arm a buddy or bystander if warranted.

So, on average I'd claim 29 rds. But if I'm going to the mall or for a walkabout you can add 15 more on top of another gun with 55 for it.

How much ammo is enough

Standard for me is a G19 with an extra 19 or 17 mag, sometimes with an extra mag thrown in around the silly season (Christmas crowds).

I know this is probably overkill as nearly every active shooter Sims/Airsoft scenario I've been involved in has been solved with 10 rounds or less, even the ones with several BGs, but...Nakatomi.
    Last edited by S Jenks; 10-03-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Guess im bringing up the rear...p239 8+1, and a spare 8rd mag.

147gr HSTs

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I'm basically right there with you - Walther P99c AS 9mm, 10+1 and 1 spare mag for a total of 21 rounds of 135 gr Hornady Critical Duty. I also carry a Kershaw Leek and a FourSevens QTL.

As to the questions in the OP regarding differing situations, the only times I carry less are when I'm going somewhere where guns are forbidden to civilians like me or if I'm planning on drinking (legal BAC limit while carrying in my state is .04%, so it's easier to just not drink if carrying or not carry if planning on drinking). The only time I carry more is when I'm headed to a USPSA match, and to be honest, most of the additional ammo is in a bag rather than on me; I don't find it terribly comfortable to drive with 4 mag pouches on my belt.

I freely admit that I'm not thoroughly prepared for a mass shooting/mall terrorist scenario. In that unlikely situation, if escape is not possible, then I guess it's game on with what I've got, but I'm surely not going to just sit around waiting to die.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Usually a P2000; 14rds 147gr HST in the gun and a 15rd spare mag, occasionally a second spare if I have extra pocket space. (I need to get a couple pocketshields and set one up with an extra spare and spare light/knife)
    Sometimes a P30 with the same setup.
    Small percentage of the time a PPS with 7rds in the gun, 124gr +p Gold Dots and an 8rd spare. This is the going to work out, etc. gun.

That said, I am rarely without my silly Maxpedition manpurse if I am going to somewhere with any real exposure or for any length of time. It's got med gear, useful odds and ends, full size multitool, stuff like that. And an extra p30 mag, and a Sig P226 with 3x 18rd MecGars full of Gold Dots. The bag has just enough room left with all the gear in it to hold my iPad mini to uphold its cover identity.

If something goes way bad, I want a full sized pistol (if I happened to be carrying the PPS for some reason) or the ability to instantly arm a buddy or bystander if warranted.

So, on average I'd claim 29 rds. But if I'm going to the mall or for a walkabout you can add 15 more on top of another gun with 55 for it.
    I'm not one who usually states that you have to own 3 copies of the same pistol, anything else is inefficient and will get you kilt on da streetz, ect ect. Also, FWIW, my household also shares a love for SIGs and HKs.

But I'd seriously reconsider carrying a 2nd different pistol with reloads which aren't compatible with another reload you're carrying in the same bag for a different pistol.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-04-2015 at 12:15 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

TGS,

I will not disagree with you. By year's end I intend to have another P30 to live in the bag and solve that problem. Or perhaps the VP9 will live there once it has been vetted.

I have taken reasonable precaution in that my mags are all color coded, so easily identifiable as to which gun they go with, and stored in separate compartments. As careful as I can be with what I have available now, with plans to streamline in the foreseeable future.

How much ammo is enough vs. how much ammo is practical to carry on one's person when there is almost zero likelihood that it will be needed.

One pistol with decent capacity is good. Pistol + 1 reload is gooder. 2+ reloads? Well, whatever floats your boat. This topic seems to come up a lot.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List