Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How much ammo is enough

If you have decent vision it's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Suddenly I start thinking about just how much I might need an RDS or laser sight equipped pistol with a hard fit barrel...or at least some skill at 50 and farther

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Currently it's a G19 with a +2 baseplate, giving me 18 rounds of 124gr +P Gold Dot in the gun. Add a G17 mag with a +2 as a reload for another 19 rounds and that's me 90% of the time.

The other 10% is a Walther PPS with 7/8 rounds in the gun and another 8 as a spare, used when I've got to wear a belly band or, if I'm going to/from jiu jitsu, just the Walther (all I can get away with in gi pants).

I know that the odds of needing to reload are quite small. I also believe that, if I've fired my gun in self-defense, I'm already so far towards the wrong end of the bell curve that I no longer care about what's statistically likely.

This comes up every now and then.

Statistically, 5 rounds is "enough" for an average defensive shooting.

I prefer a double stack gun.....however many rounds that gives me, I don't really care. 13 rounds and I'm fine. If I have the option to carry more, I do (ex: putting a 15 round P30 or 16 round GPM mag in a P2000, or adding a Taran Tactical +5000 baseplate to a Glock). Carrying a spare mag is nice if it doesn't cause discomfort (JRC made some pretty wicked mag pouches for my sensitive self). At the same time, if my gun goes down and someone lends me a P239 with a single mag, I'm not going to lose sleep.

If I'm acting in an official capacity to effectuate arrests or protect an individual, I want at least two mags. If you're asking me to do such in fun places like Peshawar, I'd like 4 pistol mags and at least 4 mags for a carbine.........plus friends with guns. Some LMGs wouldn't hurt, either, nor would a Dillon Aero minigun on an armored truck.

So, answer is: it depends. I don't think it's productive to obsess over capacity or how many reloads you carry. Carrying a double stack pistol with a reload is probably going to give you enough fire for an active shooter.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I carry 1 primary gun, 1 reload for it. 1 BUG, 1 reload for it.

Total rounds can vary from 22 to 37.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This comes up every now and then.

Statistically, 5 rounds is "enough" for an average defensive shooting.

I prefer a double stack gun.....however many rounds that gives me, I don't really care. 13 rounds and I'm fine. If I have the option to carry more, I do (ex: putting a 15 round P30 or 16 round GPM mag in a P2000, or adding a Taran Tactical +5000 baseplate to a Glock). Carrying a spare mag is nice if it doesn't cause discomfort (JRC made some pretty wicked mag pouches for my sensitive self). At the same time, if my gun goes down and someone lends me a P239 with a single mag, I'm not going to lose sleep.

If I'm acting in an official capacity to effectuate arrests or protect an individual, I want at least two mags. If you're asking me to do such in fun places like Peshawar, I'd like 4 pistol mags and at least 4 mags for a carbine.........plus friends with guns. Some LMGs wouldn't hurt, either, nor would a Dillon Aero minigun on an armored truck.

So, answer is: it depends. I don't think it's productive to obsess over capacity or how many reloads you carry. Carrying a double stack pistol with a reload is probably going to give you enough fire for an active shooter.
    What mag pouch did he make you

Guess im bringing up the rear...p239 8+1, and a spare 8rd mag.

147gr HSTs

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Guess im bringing up the rear...p239 8+1, and a spare 8rd mag.

147gr HSTs

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Close with and destroy

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    What mag pouch did he make you
    A single OWB mag pouch with a narrow sweat shield which prevents the baseplate from digging into my side when worn against the skin. Superbly comfortable.

He also executed an idea for a horizontal mag pouch, and while it's of superlative quality and executed well, I don't think I'm a fan of horizontal pouches after playing around with it. I'll keep it in the toolbox just in case, obviously.

He's a true craftsman. If you have an idea, he will work with you and make it happen. Do not feel limited by what he has on his website......those are just examples of commonly ordered pieces.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A single OWB mag pouch with a narrow sweat shield which prevents the baseplate from digging into my side when worn against the skin. Superbly comfortable.

He also executed an idea for a horizontal mag pouch, and while it's of superlative quality and executed well, I don't think I'm a fan of horizontal pouches after playing around with it. I'll keep it in the toolbox just in case, obviously.

He's a true craftsman. If you have an idea, he will work with you and make it happen. Do not feel limited by what he has on his website......those are just examples of commonly ordered pieces.
    Thinking an aiwb reload....

95% of the time it's an HK VP9 w/15 round magazine, and two spare 15 round mags. On occasion I will only carry one spare mag; when I do, it's one with a Taylor Freelance extension and holding 19 rounds. The other 5% of the time it's a Shield with either the 7 or 8-round mag and one spare 8-rounder. I don't like carrying the Shield, as I shoot far better with a full-size gun, but it's appropriate for some activities, like washing the car.

User Tag List