Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How much ammo is enough

Site Supporter
    Twice in the last decade, in training, I've had a magazine somehow spontaneously eject itself from the gun during the draw. Both times were quality guns, in quality holsters, FWIW. Shit happens.

Watching my mag arc through the air towards what would have been the bad guy's feet convinced me that it's worth having a spare on the belt, no matter how many are already in the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    It remains to be seen whether retirement will prompt any changes in the load-out.
    Retirement didn't change my load-out… still a pistol and one spare magazine, maybe a second spare if forced to go to New Orleans or some other cesspool.

What changed was my mind-set. That oath you took? So did I; and its a two-way street. When you retire, you become a nonentity. All the support elements afforded to a working employee involved in an OIS, such as they are, are now gone. You are on your own, buddy. And if the realization of that knowledge doesn't make you re-think your priorities, then I suggest you think again… and again.

Retirement is great. You're still observant; you're still suspicious; you still have the means to ensure your safety. But you no longer have the obligation to deal with the average oxygen thief; unless he happens to choose you.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Retirement didn't change my load-out… still a pistol and one spare magazine, maybe a second spare if forced to go to New Orleans or some other cesspool.

What changed was my mind-set. That oath you took? So did I; and its a two-way street. When you retire, you become a nonentity. All the support elements afforded to a working employee involved in an OIS, such as they are, are now gone. You are on your own, buddy. And if the realization of that knowledge doesn't make you re-think your priorities, then I suggest you think again… and again.

Retirement is great. You're still observant; you're still suspicious; you still have the means to ensure your safety. But you no longer have the obligation to deal with the average oxygen thief; unless he happens to choose you.

Yes, I agree; priorities WILL certainly change, thankfully. The collective citizenry are not, thankfully, my children, and it will be so very nice to be relieved of that burden.

Ok, I'll walk the plank of honesty and solitude here. While I'll agree with the notion of, "it depends", one thing is becoming evident, there is a direct correlation between the amount of ammo I carry going down relative to my age going up. While I still carry a 19 with dedicated regularity, I'm leaving the spare mag at home more often than not these days. The only exception is when I'm carrying a 43, there is always a spare mag on my person. That said, I don't even go out to get the mail in our quiet rural community without a pistol, and often have the 43 or J-frame on me irregardless of dress, even when lounging around the house.

Most often it is one spare magazine for semi-autos on my person. In the car, I keep about half-a-dozen in the emergency bag in the trunk. That bag also has a blow-out-kit, a fairly extensive first aid kit, a spare knife, a spare flashlight, and a spare holster (usually of a different variety, in case I need a different kind of concealment option).

-Rob

Site Supporter
    For EDC, a Glock and an extra mag. The Glock is a 26 or 19 most of the time. In the car, there is an extra hi-cap G17 mag. In the emergency bag in the back, I've also put a 25 round box of quality 9, 38 and 45 for the various guns I might have with me.

Glock 26 w a spare in my pocket. That's 21 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    For EDC, a Glock and an extra mag. The Glock is a 26 or 19 most of the time. In the car, there is an extra hi-cap G17 mag. In the emergency bag in the back, I've also put a 25 round box of quality 9, 38 and 45 for the various guns I might have with me.
    I'm being a wisenheimer but what's a hi-cap 17 mag?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I'm being a wisenheimer but what's a hi-cap 17 mag?
    Hello! My name is Gabe and I am also a wisenheimer.

He didn't say hi-cap 17-round mag. He said 'extra hi-cap G17 mag.' A standard G17 mag has a 17 round capacity. I'd interpret a 'hi-cap G17 mag' to be a 31 rounder. I'd interpret an 'extra hi-cap G17 mag' to be a 31 rounder with a plus-capacity basepad. If we assume OEM, then an 'extra hi-cap G17 mag' would be a 33-rounder. Or potentially more if we are talking an aftermarket plus-capacity basepad. Or maybe he meant he had an extra, hi-cap G17 mag, in which case we are back to the 31 rounder, and he has more than one of them.

So there's your pedantry for the day, from one wisenheimer to another!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

After 12 pages I'll answer the original question (how much is enough?) in one picture:

Name:  M61_Vulcan_on_pedestal.gif
Views: 243
Size:  55.8 KB

(Note: Individual results may vary)
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List