Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How much ammo is enough

How much ammo is enough

For CC when out and about.
    How much ammo do you carry daily. (in the gun and reloads reported separately)
    If you go to an area that has lots of easy targets...ie a mall or. area of public gathering where most are likely to be unarmed and unaware. (high value area of opportunity)
    How much ammo do you carry. (in the gun and reloads reported separately)
    Is there anywhere you go that automatically you carry extra ammo or a larger capacity firearm.
    How much ammo do you carry. ((in the gun and reloads reported separately)

I can't help but think that a dedicated and capable individual at the right moment at the right time could have made a huge difference at any of the mass shootings
    whether it be one shooter or multiple shooters.

LL's excellent post on the Westgate Mall https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....te-Mall-attack is what prompted me to ask this question. I find it ridiculous 4 guys could maim or kill so many people without being stopped.

And the Westgate mall shooting makes me think some long range shooting practice with a pistol might be a very good routine to add to range sessions. By long range I mean past 25 up to 100.

Next time you are in an open public setting look and see what is the longest shot you could conceivably make.

What about sighting options? At further ranges I cant make those shots with iron sights quickly anymore because of vision issues. With body armor so readily available a head shot might be the best option.

I consider this just an opening post. I hope to see some good information
    Last edited by UNK; 10-03-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Pretty much what I normally carry with various swaps when needed for specific dress codes or clothing requirements.

Always have an extra magazine on me and at least one straight blade. I have also gotten into the habit of carrying a CAT-T in a random pocket (especially if I have a jacket).

I almost always have a bag in my car with at least 2x more mags, more med-kit stuff, cuffs, gloves, and whatever else I need for that specific area. Sometimes I'll bring a rifle in a bag, sometimes I won't, depends on where I am going.

Re; westgate incident - guys with AK47's are probably not people you want to engage by yourself with just a pistol. It is one thing if you have the element of surprise and know for a fact you'll get at least two or three of them before the last one responds, but who knows in those situations. Trunk guns and/or bag guns seem to be the answer for that but who wants to carry around a rifle/pistol-caliber rifle on their back all the time and sometimes you might not be able to get to your car to get your rifle/shot gun.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Re; westgate incident - guys with AK47's are probably not people you want to engage by yourself with just a pistol. It is one thing if you have the element of surprise and know for a fact you'll get at least two or three of them before the last one responds, but who knows in those situations. Trunk guns and/or bag guns seem to be the answer for that but who wants to carry around a rifle/pistol-caliber rifle on their back all the time and sometimes you might not be able to get to your car to get your rifle/shot gun.
    Yes thanks. I get that engaging with a pistol in any situation is not the best choice. Carrying a SAW might cause too many problems.

to Quote Don Rumsfield "As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

sometimes leaving might not be an option
    Last edited by UNK; 10-03-2015 at 03:52 PM.

HK45 + 2 spare magazines (31 rounds) regardless of my activity. Also always have a light on me and a leatherman, not that the knife in that thing is worth much of anything. I don't carry a fixed blade as I have exactly zero knife fighting training or skills. Also don't carry medical equipment on my person, although that's on my list of things to change.

Got an AR in the car as well.

Also Voodoo_Man: they make newer grenades now
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Yes thanks. I get that engaging with a pistol in any situation is not the best choice.

to Quote Don Rumsfield "As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

sometimes leaving might not be an option
    Of course, I did not mean to advocate running away or not engaging, given the circumstances if you were in the westgate mall at that time and you see one of these guys, by all means start taking shots at him. Worst thing you can do is run away. Of course if you do not have cover, surprise or time, you have to rely on force (violence of action) to turn the tide in your favor, against 4 guys w/ AK47's when you have just a pistol and maybe 30 rounds, means you better have your shit together.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    HK45 + 2 spare magazines (31 rounds) regardless of my activity. Also always have a light on me and a leatherman, not that the knife in that thing is worth much of anything. I don't carry a fixed blade as I have exactly zero knife fighting training or skills. Also don't carry medical equipment on my person, although that's on my list of things to change.

Got an AR in the car as well.

Also Voodoo_Man: they make newer grenades now
    TQ's are cheap and pretty concealable.

They make newer grenades? Seriously?
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Of course, I did not mean to advocate running away or not engaging, I didn't intend to insinuate that given the circumstances if you were in the westgate mall at that time and you see one of these guys, by all means start taking shots at him. Worst thing you can do is run away. Of course if you do not havte cover, surprise or time, you have to rely on force (violence of action) to turn the tide in your favor, against 4 guys w/ AK47's when you have just a pistol and maybe 30 rounds, means you better have your shit together. That is definitely worst case scenario

I hope you are not trying to say that Die Hard was fake.

Of course, I did not mean to advocate running away or not engaging, given the circumstances if you were in the westgate mall at that time and you see one of these guys, by all means start taking shots at him. Worst thing you can do is run away. Of course if you do not have cover, surprise or time, you have to rely on force (violence of action) to turn the tide in your favor, against 4 guys w/ AK47's when you have just a pistol and maybe 30 rounds, means you better have your shit together.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I hope you are not trying to say that Die Hard was fake.
    Even Detective McClain carried an extra magazine...or ten...
    VDMSR.com

For my sighting assistance I have purchased a laser/light which is at JRC's right now. My next step is to take a look at RDS to see if they are viable for me.

I am particularly interested to see what is the spread of the laser dot at longer distance in relation to POI.
    Last edited by UNK; 10-03-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Yep, but if all you've got is pineapples I wouldn't feel that under-grenaded.

I don't change what I carry based on where I'm going: 92F +2mags, .380 BUG +1 (if I leave anything, it's the spare BUG mag).

It doesn't take a fortune teller to see that there will be a Westgate here sooner or later.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List