Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .300 Blackout upper options

.300 Blackout upper options

My heart wants Aero.

but my wallet prefers DSG (cheaper than Aero with BCG). My best friend JL Bourne has the DSG and says it runs reliably and shoots accurately.

Palmetto doesn't seem worth the savings over Aero nor the price increase over DSG.

Rock River is on crack if they think that this is a sane price.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-03-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    #RESIST

We have three 9 inch AAC uppers, and like them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Way too expensive for a dirty poor person like me

Staring real hard at the Aero and a BCM BCG.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Way too expensive for a dirty poor person like me

Staring real hard at the Aero and a BCM BCG.
    What's the word on the Aero uppers? My 300blk accuracy thread has gone nowhere, so I'm still swimming through the sea of online research. I was all but set on buying a 16" Noveske barrel and putting it in a BCM upper I have, but the Aero upper is only $50 more. I have spare BCG's and charging handles already, so the $450 Noveske pill is hard to swallow vs.the $500 Aero upper, but I can't find much about them in terms of proven or expected accuracy or long-term reliability.
    Last edited by StraitR; 10-03-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    I would do the DSG over the Aero unless you want a specific hand guard. I'm fond of aeros uppers and lowers but I don't know how many of their other parts they actually make.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    What's the word on the Aero uppers? My 300blk thread has gone nowhere, so I'm still swimming through the sea of online research. I was all but set on buying a 16" Noveske barrel and putting it in a BCM upper I have, but the Aero upper is only $50 more. I have spare BCG's and charging handles already, so the $450 Noveske pill is hard to swallow vs.the $500 Aero upper, but I can't find much about them in terms of proven or expected accuracy or long-term reliability.
    Anecdotally, the word is that they are tops just like their lowers. I need to research optimal barrel twist, barrel construction, and rail options before making an impulse informed purchase.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It has been a while since I've seen a 9" AAC upper in stock anywhere. Looks like AAC is finally starting to get their products flowing again though, so perhaps we'll see some of these uppers soon.

It appears that the BCM KMR in .300 Blackout is coming soon...might be worth waiting for. BCM recently posted a late October ETA with 9", 12.5", and 16" uppers. If they're priced like their 5.56mm KMR line it should be reasonable. The new aluminum KMR rails weigh a touch more but the price has dropped.

Here's Pat Rogers BCM 9" KMR-8A 300BLK...

I've been resisting the .300 Blackout rabbit hole for a while now, but a friend's AAC upper has got me interested. It'll need a can though...
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-03-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Grammar and english and stuff
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

pws or go home

#pistonmasterrace
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Anecdotally, the word is that they are tops just like their lowers. I need to research optimal barrel twist, barrel construction, and rail options before making an impulse informed purchase.
    I've got the twist info down. 1:7 is where the industry is heading as a whole, no matter the barrel length. I even read a blurb from AAC designers that when they SAAMI spec'd the round they listed 1:8 twist, but wished they would have put 1:7. As a matter of fact, all AAC 300blk barrels are now 1:7, and they no longer offer 1:8.

As far as gas system, anything less than 16" needs pistol, but 16 can work with either pistol or carbine. That said, it seems that the consensus is that pistol length in a 16", like 1:7 twist, seems to offer the best reliability across the huge range of bullet weights for both sub and supersonic ammo offerings. While AAC does still offer 16" carbine gas guns, most others including Noveske have moved to pistol.

Aside from always buying CHF CL barrels in the past, I got nothing on barrel construction. Anyway, that's what I've come up with so far.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I've got the twist info down. 1:7 is where the industry is heading as a whole, no matter the barrel length. I even read a blurb from AAC designers that when they SAAMI spec'd the round they listed 1:8 twist, but wished they would have put 1:7. As a matter of fact, all AAC 300blk barrels are now 1:7, and they no longer offer 1:8.

As far as gas system, anything less than 16" needs pistol, but 16 can work with either pistol or carbine. That said, it seems that the consensus is that pistol length in a 16", like 1:7 twist, seems to offer the best reliability across the huge range of bullet weights for both sub and supersonic ammo offerings. While AAC does still offer 16" carbine gas guns, most others including Noveske have moved to pistol.

Aside from always buying CHF CL barrels in the past, I got nothing on barrel construction. Anyway, that's what I've come up with so far.
    Furiously pounding the Like button.
    #RESIST

User Tag List