Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 Advanced Kit - Initial Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I see no reason to have this over say a JM Custom with the new belt loop that doesn't require threading. Custom Carry Concepts also has this clip.
    Does everything an athletic build needs in an AIWB without a huge bulge on the waistline.

Eidolon didn't work for me, but I love this thing.

Original VG2 tucked the gun in (note the claw on the strut), but since I'm not fat anymore I really just need the butt tucked. This does the trick without having a giant suppressor sight channel printing like the Eidolon (which was worse when the pad was removed; catch 22 as the pad hurt to wear).

I'm going to convert all of my strutted VG2s to this config.
    Last edited by Trajan; 10-06-2015 at 01:39 PM.

I see no reason to have this over say a JM Custom with the new belt loop that doesn't require threading. Custom Carry Concepts also has this clip.
    I think you need one of those for training at minimum.

I can see one serious reason, personally, to want a VG2 claw kit for carry: no colostomy bag, tumorous belt growth sticking out. I'm not skinny. I've got the over-30 and doesn't try too hard small roll, and even a less aggressively wedged holster will often give me the ugly belt bulge.

It's not a huge deal, the gun is totally hidden... But the bulge annoys the kitten out of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supposedly they are going to sell kits to retro the original Vandguard 2.

They claw also happens to fit the Phlster line of holsters, so I will probably take that for a spin when available.

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    One thing re: the VG2 as a trigger guard cover.

As a nightstand gun, I really don't like leaving the gun with their trigger exposed. One thing I do with the VG2 is add a small loop of paracord to it. This allows me to clip a flashlight to the sheath (you can do it on the soft loop as well but it results in a very inconsistent "draw"). This does two things for me: 1) protects the trigger, and 2) makes me put a flashlight in my hand to get the gun working.

They work great for carrying guns to/from the range as well. Since I have a practice gun I pretty much never unload my carry gun. Take the carry gun off, snap the VG2 on, put it in my bag, and start working with my practice gun out of my carry gear.

I don't know that the claw is a substitute for a good belt wedge for me, as the Keeper hides better on me even if I take off the foam tuck wedges. It does tend to keep my stomach from pushing the grip outward as I move around, however, which was the biggest problem with the VG2 for me. But again, on my frame, the amount of tuck is still less than on a holster with a good belt wedge.
    Cool tip. Dude, you have crushed this thread and it's not to 3 pages yet.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Does everything an athletic build needs in an AIWB without a huge bulge on the waistline.
    I'm 5'11 and 194lbs and the JM Custom George disappears on me. So does the Shaggy.
    #RESIST

Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 Advanced Kit - Initial Impressions

Queue time is zilch and the belt bulge is almost nothing. That's about it. The advanced kit allows me a higher ride and master grip vs the original. On my frame it conceals a 19 better than most (don't carry one though). I've had issues in the past with loops printing but a small single loop is negligible IME. It's a niche item for me.

ETA: I have a George and I love it but the belt bulge is even smaller with this thing. Also, I have another George on order because they're a better all-around holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 10-06-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

I'm 5'11 and 194lbs and the JM Custom George disappears on me. So does the Shaggy.
    BF%?
    You've got 15 pounds on me. Isn't the George a minimal wedge design?

How do you get rid of the belt bulge? Chest and waist measurements? What size shirt do you wear?
    Last edited by Trajan; 10-06-2015 at 09:40 PM.

I was able to work some live fire draws with it this morning. Nothing super awesome. Target was the black zone of an NRA B-8 bull at five yards.

VG2 Advanced:
    1. 1.41
    2. 1.39
    3. 1.36
    4. 1.39
    5. 1.44

Compared to my Keeper:

1. 1.32
    2. 1.35
    3. 1.35
    4. 1.31 -1 (high, approx. 1" above the circle)
    5. 1.36

Small test, but I'm not seeing huge performance loss when using it. It's definitely more conducive to a consistent draw than a standard VG2 w/ low ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    Supposedly they are going to sell kits to retro the original Vandguard 2.

They claw also happens to fit the Phlster line of holsters, so I will probably take that for a spin when available.
    This right here is what has me excited. I've been carrying with a Phlster holster lately, and they could really benefit from some additional grip tucking.
    Last edited by BK14; 10-09-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    This right here is what has me excited. I've been carrying with a Phlster holster lately, and they could really benefit from some additional grip tucking.
    If you follow him on Instagram he posted some pics.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

User Tag List