Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 Advanced Kit - Initial Impressions

Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 Advanced Kit - Initial Impressions

Product Description

The VanGuard 2 Advanced Kit is a capability upgrade to our venerable VanGuard 2 minimalist IWB holster. Unlike traditional IWB holsters, the VG2 covers only the trigger guard of your weapon. This unique design eliminates the bulk of a traditional holster, while providing a level of safety and security not attainable by simply sticking a pistol in the waistband of your pants. The VG2 Advanced Kit’s inclusion of the RCS CLAW takes this system’s concealability to the next level, by leveraging the grip of the pistol close to the body, while still allowing for a clean, repeatable draw.

The VanGuard 2 Advanced Kit with the RCS CLAW can be equipped with either a Tuckable strut with overhook or Tuckable strut with soft loop, to allow you to choose the best belt interface system for your carry and mission type. This combination is adjustable for ride-height and cant, is fully ambidextrous, and is the ultimate in deep concealment technology when combined with our proprietary tuckable struts.

Store Page

Background

When I was just starting out, I knew enough to know that how my dad carried his guns (strong side hip, OWB or occasionally IWB in a hybrid-type holster) didn’t work for me. I came to the conclusion that AIWB was the best way to go for me for concealment purposes, so that’s where I headed.

The VanGuard 2 was the first holster I bought. I liked it because I was more than a little nervous about stuffing a live gun down the front of my pants. The reholstering method mitigated that fear. The VG2 remains one of my favorite holsters despite its down sides – convenience comes at the price of requiring a low ride height due to a lack of grip tuck features.

Why I Bought It

Despite the Eidolon not working out for me, the claw feature on that holster worked rather well on my frame. My thought was that the addition of the claw would minimize the biggest downside of the VG2 (ride height vs. concealment compromise), and if nothing else it allows me to have a potentially good backup holster as well as something that’s easy to carry when I’m being lazy. Also, I’m a self-confessed Raven junkie, I think they make some cool shit, and the Advanced Kit is new and exciting.

Initial Impressions

With the caveat that I've only had this thing for a day...

It’s a VanGuard 2 with a claw bolted on. The retention feels exactly like my original VG2. The soft loop is of the typical RCS quality. It gives a tight fit on both of my G19s, as expected. Fit on my SIRT pistol is slightly looser once attached.

To adjust ride height, Raven has moved away from the VanGuard 2’s system of holes on the strut in favor of a long slot. What that means is that the user is no longer stuck with a series of pre-determined ride heights. If that’s not enough adjustment, you can also move the strut down another quarter of an inch (just as you could with the Eidolon’s belt attachments). One notable difference with the VG2 Advanced Kit is that the lowest ride setting basically allows for a full-firing grip. This does come at a slight cost in the concealment department. However, despite this, the VG2 Advanced Kit seems to conceal better than the original -- especially when moving around. Using the claw to push the grip into the stomach makes a noticeable difference. It looks like the claw could be retrofitted to existing VG2 shells. However, a new soft loop strut would be required.

Belt bulge is basically non-existent, which can be important for those with smaller frames. Comfort seems good with the caveat that I've only been wearing this thing for a few hours. The original VG2 will sometimes poke the inside of my right thigh due to the one-handed belt-hooking feature. Fortunately, this holster shows no signs of doing that.

As with the original, the VG2 Advanced Kit lacks a tuck feature. On my body it's no substitute for, say, a JM Custom Kydex AIWB or a Keeper when it comes to concealment. Having said that, it still does its job -- a tuckable, easy-on-easy-off holster -- quite well. As compared to the original VG2, I really like not having to sacrifice concealment for a full firing grip.

Comparison Pics

For reference, I am 5’7 and 165lbs with a bit of a gut. The polo is relatively tight-fitting. Gun is a G19 with OEM 15rd magazine inserted.

Original VG2, soft loop at the top-most position (lowest ride).

---

VG2 Advanced Kit, soft loop at the top-most position (lowest ride).

---

Original VG2, soft loop set up to allow a full firing grip with the soft loop in the hole second from the top.

---

VG2 Advanced Kit, soft loop set up to allow a full firing grip with the soft loop in the hole second from the top.

---

Keeper set up how I like it (lots of tuck, about an inch of clearance between the grip and my belt).

---

VG2 Advanced Kit, belt bulge

Site Supporter
    Somewhat interested in one of these. I've had a VG2 for a few year's and can count on one hand the number of time's i've used it. For me, a G17 or 19 conceal's much better in an actual AIWB holster, even though it's bulkier. With a smaller frame I really need the tuck. Mine mostly goes with me when I travel as something to carry a gun in should my primary holster become damaged.

I love it. I always keep a VG2 in my vehicles, in bags, etc. Most of the time I have one within arms reach in case I need it. This certainly enhances its use to carry a gun but not enough consideration gets made as a trigger guard cover.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

On got the email on this the day my Eidolon was delivered. I don't have enough time with the Eidolon yet but the VG2 advanced is on my buy list. I don't know if they'll ever build one for a j frame or 43 but I would be interested in testing one for each.

Sent from my grey matter using telepathy.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks for posting.

I decided to not buy one, yet, specifically because I want to focus on getting the Eidolon(s) that I have used and reviewed.

While I like the "claw" - if that's what we are calling it - I do not like it on the Eidolon at all.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'll echo that I find the VG2 super versatile. Anytime I travel I pack it as I've found it useful in situations that my Eidolon won't work for me. I primarily use my VG2 in business casual mode when I need to were slacks and a tucked shirt. My biggest complaint about the VG2 is the lack of a way to tuck the pistols butt in and the Advanced seems promising in that regard. I've got one ordered. The claw on the Eidolon makes a huge difference for me that other quality holsters can't seem to provide for me personally. I wish RCS would expand the gun makes and models these are available for, G43, Sig P239, Shield for instance.
    Last edited by MD7305; 10-03-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    That's not what we are calling it. That's what Raven calls it on both the Eidolon and VG2.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

One thing re: the VG2 as a trigger guard cover.

As a nightstand gun, I really don't like leaving the gun with their trigger exposed. One thing I do with the VG2 is add a small loop of paracord to it. This allows me to clip a flashlight to the sheath (you can do it on the soft loop as well but it results in a very inconsistent "draw"). This does two things for me: 1) protects the trigger, and 2) makes me put a flashlight in my hand to get the gun working.

They work great for carrying guns to/from the range as well. Since I have a practice gun I pretty much never unload my carry gun. Take the carry gun off, snap the VG2 on, put it in my bag, and start working with my practice gun out of my carry gear.

I don't know that the claw is a substitute for a good belt wedge for me, as the Keeper hides better on me even if I take off the foam tuck wedges. It does tend to keep my stomach from pushing the grip outward as I move around, however, which was the biggest problem with the VG2 for me. But again, on my frame, the amount of tuck is still less than on a holster with a good belt wedge.

I see no reason to have this over say a JM Custom with the new belt loop that doesn't require threading. Custom Carry Concepts also has this clip.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    As a nightstand gun, I really don't like leaving the gun with their trigger exposed. One thing I do with the VG2 is add a small loop of paracord to it. This allows me to clip a flashlight to the sheath (you can do it on the soft loop as well but it results in a very inconsistent "draw"). This does two things for me: 1) protects the trigger, and 2) makes me put a flashlight in my hand to get the gun working.
    Hmm I kind of like that idea.

They work great for carrying guns to/from the range as well. Since I have a practice gun I pretty much never unload my carry gun. Take the carry gun off, snap the VG2 on, put it in my bag, and start working with my practice gun out of my carry gear.
    Yep this similar to my typical use for the VG2 as well.

One thing I really like about them is it gives me a cheap option that could work as a left-handed holster in a pinch if I ever incapacitated my right arm/hand, without a need to purchase a dedicated lefty holster that I hope to never use.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List