Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Index vs press out

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Oh god you guys, those stick figure pictures are terrible. Don't have shirts made out of that crap.
    oh ya buddy. Gonna wear it to dinner and everything

I'm more of a cross between a pure press out and index draw. It might be closest to figure 04, but leaning towards 01. The sights get in front of my vision just a bit earlier than a straight index draw and I'm a bit better at cleaning up my sight alignment. For me, I find it works best for my Orangutan 35" long arms. This gives me the best compromise between speed and accuracy.

I've never videoed it or anything to make detailed comparisons, but in my mind my draw stroke path is the same whether I'm primarily relying on index or doing a press out. My vision is the weakest link in the speed chain, so my speed gets modulated depending on what i'm trying to do - max speed on a larger target, it's probably more of an index because the gun outruns my eyes and gets corrected at the end as needed. If I'm drawing to more precision target, I need better visuals so I slow down and get on the trigger a little earlier (but with good enough sight picture that I'm confident in getting on the trigger). Either way, I try to make the gun travel in a path best described to me in one of the first classes I ever took - "scrape the glass" (I think the instructor was a cohort of everybody's favorite Wayne Dobbs', too; if so, small world). Imagine a horizontal plane of glass between your eyes and the target - try to slide the gun down the underside of that glass as you punch out towards the target, and don't break the glass by swinging the gun up through it.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    need a tiger on those stick figures...pure comedy gold

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Oh god you guys, those stick figure pictures are terrible. Don't have shirts made out of that crap.
    Because this is the Internet and a gun forum, I will point out the stick figure is terrible because his holster does not allow a full combat grip, and he should bend his knees more and get a higher grip. He's also not wearing range approved ear and eye protection.

The only thing semi-useful I will add is I *thought* I was doing the path Avery recommends. Then I was video'ed. I wasn't doing what I thought I was doing. Seeing it on video in slow-mo made it impossible to argue with, and for sure what I "felt" like I was doing was not what I was doing. Knowing that helped me out quite a bit. I really thought I had something to add to that, but I was just distracted by pumpkin pie, so....yeah...I forget. Oh, the front sight. I found it very difficult at first to find the front sight until near the end of the presentation because my eyes were naturally drawn to the rear sight as the gun moved. That was it. The slight tilt helped me until I taught my brain what I was looking for and could ween myself off of it. I didn't mind the tilt, but I had the habit of shoving the gun too far when snapping it out of the tilt. Now, pie time.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I've never videoed it or anything to make detailed comparisons, but....
    Anyone who does not own Coach's Eye is wrong. Getting a workable version is like $20, and easily worth ten times that.
    Last edited by Chance; 10-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Some say you should only have or use one draw stroke or only one gun, that Hicks law and more tricks in the bag hurt you in either speed in your decision process or speed / efficacy in your outcome. I agree that perhaps for those with limited time and resources this may be a good idea and I adhere to this when teaching newer shooters, but for those with the time and resources, depending on their shooting genre, more draw types can be of great benefit. I will also say that I agree that what works for one person, does not automatically translate to another.

I have more than one draw type and video in various situations shows exactly this. I use a variation of what might be considered a classic "muzzle up" press-out (not as exaggerated as Todd's press-out), to a muzzle level press-out, to a hybrid index-press-out, to a pure index. Situation dictates the draw type and I do it without conscious thought and I appear to be just as proficient with whatever the automatic selection I make. Holster location is also a factor however clear differences can be seen in person or on video, especially when slowed down.

Video can be invaluable. I am mostly self taught and I used video heavily to do the overwhelming majority of my learning / self remediation process with shooting.
    Last edited by Surf; 10-02-2015 at 11:59 PM.

I asked two different people to watch my drawstroke this past weekend, and it seems I'm having the best results with a sort of hybrid.

Essentially an indexed draw to a mid-extended high ready, and a short press out from there. In the more speed oriented drills I would begin my string firing the first shot from my index point and the continue outward to extension. For the precision first shots I was refining and firing at full extension.

I think I am fortunate to have a very strong natural index, though. I'm going to do some first shot comparisons this week now, because of this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    I want a Mr_White stick figure shirt.
    Group buy?
    In for two. But only if they have leopard print sleeves.

I haven't checked the latest rule book revision, but out of curiosity, does IDPA require a press out, index draw, or some hybrid, and do you have to be flat footed when you do it?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List