Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Index vs press out

It is desirable in a WC BrigTac division. In WC CQB 45 Division, WC CQB 9 division, and WC 40 oz Compact division the triggers are at 3.5 lbs and occasionally transform pressout into pressouch.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    There are a lot of old discussions on PF on this subject if you do some searching. I don't want to come off as anti-pressout exactly. I do prefer the index/slight hybrid draw at this point but I think both can be done well and have plenty of potential. Hopefully members who are more current proponents of the pressout can cite their experiences for you.
    6/10 for subtle trolling.

(Just kidding...)

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    3/15/2016

I used to Press Out but, like Mr. White, I found it artificially slow. Brian Enos puts in his book this bombshell; To shoot welll you have to be able to put your gun on target and pull the trigger without disruption. No brainer right... I pull out my gun and point it as fast as I can. I guess you would say that's more of an "Index Draw."

Here's a vid of me shooting a Tripple Nickle in Duty gear.

My first shot is .98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4z0oFpErgc
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 10-03-2015 at 07:58 PM.
    A71593

Nice shooting nwhpfan!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    I used to Press Out but, like Mr. White, I found it artificially slow. Brian Enos puts in his book this bombshell; To shoot welll you have to be able to put your gun on target and pull the trigger without disruption. No brainer right... I pull out my gun and point it as fast as I can. I guess you would say that's more of an "Index Draw."

Here's a vid of me shooting a Tripple Nickle in Duty gear.

My first shot is .98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4z0oFpErgc
    Dat pouch clear doe...

I used to slap the piss off my pouches and now I just carry open top pouches, got tired of replacing them every year.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I like the theory of press out and that is always what I have done. I am figuring out that I don't do it that well though

Give me a 2 yard, grip and rip; where I grab the gun press out and slam the trigger and don't see the sights - I can get a hit in the low .8s. I can move my hands fast. But when I have to grab the same gun and press out at a 7 yard target and see the sights, my draws go to 1.25 in a hurry. I'm having a heck of a time decelerating at the end and have a little bounce (which is too much bounce) and then I have to steer the sights back on target before I press the shot. Lately, I have thought that I just don't see what I need to see and that I need to see faster so that I can shoot faster.

When I tried the elevator index, I stop the gun better with less bounce so I see the sights on target faster so I am faster. By the way, what happened to the YouTube video of Ron Avery that was posted in this thread?

I would prefer to push out, but looks like I am better to actually get the shot off with an index.

Thanks for the thread, it fits in nicely with what I am working on today.

Great thread.

Can we have some opinions on Clay1's point; namely, that there is no 'one size fits all' and it should depend on the type of shot (near? Far?) you are trying to make when doing a draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Great thread.

Can we have some opinions on Clay1's point; namely, that there is no 'one size fits all' and it should depend on the type of shot (near? Far?) you are trying to make when doing a draw?

I look at it like this;

On a square range where everything is static and predictable, you can do pretty much anything you want. Even if it's inefficient, it will produce decent results if you practice it enough. But, when you have no control of the circumstances or the environment, you'd better be able to present the gun efficiently by whatever method makes the most sense.

It's not totally unlike "ready" positions, where the environment and the particular circumstances will dictate where the gun belongs.

ETA: This is worth mentioning as well. Most folks, myself included, may think and may actually do certain things when the situation isn't critical. But, when the balloon goes up, a lot of what we think we do gets blurred by the demands of the situation.

One top dog I will not mention emphatically states he's does one thing - and he does in his training videos. But some critical review of match footage shows him doing something not quite so defined.

The only point I want to make about that disparity is the fact that in both cases he's producing good results, which is the ultimate goal.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-04-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Great thread.

IMO, there is no "one size fits all" at least as far as it works for me personally. For myself it very much depends on the type of shot or engagement that I am faced with. Distance, acceptable hit zone size, speed, environment all play big roles in my draw stroke. Very much situational dependent and at this point in my shooting I don't even think about the type of draw that I use, it just happens. We also need to consider that not everyone can perform a certain skill equally as someone else. Some things just work for an individual, where some things don't. I often tell my own students that what I say and what I do may be different. I explain that I teach what I feel is most beneficial or correct to the student. I do reinforce that as skills develop, each individual will start finding or developing their own twists to certain techniques and I will foster or encourage that as they progress. Unfortunately some instructors will not find this to be acceptable or maybe even deny that they don't adhere to what they are teaching. Some just don't realize they perform differently in a spontaneous situation.

"Video doesn't lie" is true. As I mention above you may often see people that may advocate certain things or only certain techniques, but then you may actually see them perform a bit differently in person or by watching their video's. They may do a controlled "demonstration" where they show the technique performed correct, but if you get a chance to watch them in a more spontaneous situation they perform a bit differently on perhaps multiple occasions / situations, where each engagement may be slightly different than the one prior. This is because a skilled shooter may have adopted their own variations to a base technique to make it work better for them. How many times have a I told someone, even my instructors that they had this issue in their own spontaneous shooting performance and they denied it. Then I shoot video and show them.

Bottom line, is that there are sound techniques or methodology that may be a known recipe for success when teaching new shooters, however we cannot deny the fact that as a shooters skill increases, more options may present themselves. These options may work better as a skilled shooter refines or adapts to their own unique style. Of course continued mentoring is a plus because not all tangents or paths that shooters take on their own are not always the best. Heck, I find myself doing things a bit differently now than I did perhaps a year ago. I am ahead of myself from last year skills wise and I hope to be even further ahead a year from now. I can bet that I will make more small refinements in the upcoming year.
    Last edited by Surf; 10-04-2015 at 12:54 PM.

User Tag List