Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shootings and Data-Free Zones

Mass Shootings and Data-Free Zones

This thread has the potential to be highly inflammatory - If you have thin skin and/or strongly held opinions - you may want to not participate in this thread.

I have said around here a few times, how one of the things that bothers me, fundamentally, about both anti and pro-gun arguments is the lack of quantifiable data. We know such data should exist, but the vast majority of the time it doesn't. Well here is an interesting report on Mass Shootings from 2000-2013 funded by the FBI and conducted by researchers at Texas State University.

A word on Texas State - It is part of the Texas State University System - the third largest university system in the state of Texas, behind the University of Texas System, and the Texas A&M System. Classically, Texas State has done excellent science in its biology, agriculture, and physical sciences programs. They are not world-renowned, but they focus on high quality research, usually on a limited budget. Although, it does of course have a bit of a liberal slant, I've seen some of the least biased political science research come from this institution. So, selecting researchers to do this work for the FBI is probably as close to non-partisan political research as can be done.

Here is a link to the report: https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...-2000-and-2013

I wanted to cull out some key points for this report that underscore why I think rhetoric should be toned down and a focus on actual data should be done. You may not like my interpretations of the following points.

Name:  FBIPie.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  45.4 KB

The above figure is found on page 13 of the report. It's important to note that if we combine classic "gun-free zones" (educational institutions, houses of worship, government and health care facilities) only 40.7% of the shootings occurred in these places. Now, while that number is very significant, it does not support the narrative that shooters deliberately choose gun-free zones to carry out their attacks. Nor does the following quote taken from the conclusions (Page 20):

Though this study did not focus on the motivation of the shooters, the study did identify some shooter characteristics. In all but 2 of the incidents, the shooter chose to act alone. Only 6 female shooters were identified. Shooter ages as a whole showed no pattern. However, some patterns were seen in incident sub-groups. For example, 12 of 14 shooters in high school shootings were students at the schools, and 5 of the 6 shooters at middle schools were students at the schools.

In addition, research results identified some location categories where victim targets were more readily identifiable, in part because of the shooters’ connections to the locations. For example, in businesses generally closed to pedestrian traffic, 22 of the 23 shooters were employees or former employees of the involved company. In other instances, the location category appeared less significant than the victims targeted. For example, in 15 (9.3%)
    of the 160 incidents, the shooter targeted family members. And in 15 (9.3%) of the 160 incidents, the shooter targeted his current, estranged, or former spouse or his current or former girlfriend.
    If we look at both of these instances, there is little to support that less gun control OR more gun control would have prevented these shootings. In fact, the most logical conclusion is that we are failing to either assess, provide, or support individuals with mental health and personal issues. This is far more likely to be the cause of these issues. I suspect these are frequently the locations were people feel most marginalized in their lives. To me this indicates a far more serious problem with society, culture, and mental health than it does a gun problem.

This is precisely why I support these studies. Data do not lie, in this particular instance the bulk of those targeted in these shootings were known by the shooter, not chosen at random, and no laws support or not support armament would have likely prevented these shootings from occurring. The only argument that could be made is that intervention by people with guns ended the shootings sooner. The data exists in this report to determine that, but it is not assessed. I will conduct the analysis in the near future and report back.

So, here we go, why data is important.

-Rob

Data sucks!

There, just trying to get the butthurt out of the way.

Looking forward to people's thoughts. Good thread idea, Rob.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Some of the high profile shootings in commercial areas were "gun free" also like the Colorado theater shooting.

So suppose that 40% gun free is actually 45%. Or leave it at 40.

Since the internal workings of the shooters' minds are not very well understood entirely - it seems that one cannot draw the following conclusion "it does not support the narrative that shooters deliberately choose gun-free zones to carry out their attacks." I don't see those figures really undermining the narrative that gun free zones make attractive venues for mass killings.

100% of those 40 or 45% might be exactly because of the gun free zone temptation and only a portion of the rest.

I'll hit the link to see if they layer in the number of casualties for different venues and the amount of armament taken to different venues to see if there are any patterns to that also.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-02-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Last edited by 41magfan; 10-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    To me, the point isn't whether criminals seek out gun-free zones but rather that if there are armed citizens in a given location then there is a higher likelihood that the shooter will be stopped earlier. Elimination of gun-free zones may or may not reduce the number of mass shootings, but armed citizens in a given location would almost certainly reduce the body count.

Site Supporter
    I would just add my observation that a very significant portion of the "Commerce" slice is "gun free" so I would say that way more than 50% of the shootings are in gun free zones. It would be interesting to do a survey of the members of this forum and see how many can carry at work without fear of termination or other dire consequences. In my case, I worked for the US military and was not allowed to carry at work or anywhere on DOD property. I have worked and now work large civilian employers and I would be instantly terminated for carrying. Of course someone will point out that "concealed is concealed" but I choose my career and job over the chance of termination.

I think that by and large shooters choose places that have meaning to them. The school they go to, the work place they were fired from, the religious institution they blame for something, the government official that "wronged" them. Secondly I think they choose by what they think will have the highest psychological impact i.e., "If I kill a bunch of people here people will really pay attention to me now."

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    To me, the point isn't whether criminals seek out gun-free zones but rather that if there are armed citizens in a given location then there is a higher likelihood that the shooter will be stopped earlier. Elimination of gun-free zones may or may not reduce the number of mass shootings, but armed citizens in a given location would almost certainly reduce the body count.
    That is precisely what I will seek to investigate. As I stated, the report should have adequate data within it to address this question. Unfortunately, the total elapsed time for a shooting event is not contained in the report. But the number of victims is. I will investigate the correlation of the number of victims vs. the mode of incapacitation of the shooter.

Null: There should be no statistical difference between the number of victims killed/wounded and mode of incapacitation of the shooter.
    Alternative: There will be a significant statistical difference between the number of victims killed/wounded and the shooter being incapacitated by bystanders. With a reduced number of victims when bystanders/potential victims intervene.
    Alternative 2: There will be a significant statistical difference between number of victims killed/wounded when the shooter was incapacitated by being shot by a police officer/civilian/etc.

To give you some numbers from the report: 21 shootings total were interrupted/ended by intervening individuals. Only 6 of those 21 involved shooting the mass-shooter. To make comparisons fair, I will randomly draw from shootings where the shooter committed suicide 21 shootings and then compare. This isn't an entirely fair comparison, because of the factors of different environments. So, if it appears that a pattern is being driven by the environment, I will to randomly draw shootings with a distribution of the different environments matching the distribution of environments where the 21 interrupted shootings occur. To give you guys some other perspectives, I will run simulations of these events and determine if any of the patterns are statistically different than random. I will run the statistical simulations in R and I will provide a detailed analysis of them soon.

In the interest of professional and full discretion. I may choose to hold off publicly posting these data if they turn out to be particularly interesting and submit the results to a peer-reviewed, open-access, journal. At which point, I will make the results and data available to everyone.

-Rob

First beer is on me Rob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I don't think the argument should be phrased as "more gun availability would reduce incidents or negative outcomes of 'mass shootings.'"

For me, there is an argument from the first person -- "I have the right to have the tools available to protect me and mine" -- that is enhanced by the existence of these sort of incidents, and that argument is independent of whether less firearm availability would reduce the number or negative outcomes of incidents.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List