Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NYPD and the Glock 17 ?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    No way for me to check… because the NYSP guys showed up sans firearms. I shit you not. So we issued them Sigs and duty leather for same. I asked one of them why in the hell didn't they bring their pistols??? He said their brass wasn't sure we would allow them to carry; so they sent them anyway, unarmed.

Simply unbelievable… but true.

Holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I heard some pretty bizarre firearms related stuff in my 35 year police career, but limiting the G17 to a 15 round mag is certainly near the top.
    The debacle with P99 and the NJSP that Farnam detailed in his quips is even more amazing. IIRC, the Colonel ordered the 16 round magazine to be reduced to 15.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    When NYPD switched to G19's in the early 90's, they limited the mags to 10 rds.
    Yup. it took a new Mayor and a new Police Commisioner to change it - some guy named Giuliani.

Site Supporter
    The white one is the "original" NY trigger spring. The black one is even more stiff. I have a few examples of both, that came in a box of parts Glock sent to us in 1994. From talking with both NYSP and NYPD people who were here for Katrina, I was told that the New York trigger was developed at the request of NYPD. According to those guys, at that time NYSP used the standard coil trigger spring.

No way for me to check… because the NYSP guys showed up sans firearms. I shit you not. So we issued them Sigs and duty leather for same. I asked one of them why in the hell didn't they bring their pistols??? He said their brass wasn't sure we would allow them to carry; so they sent them anyway, unarmed.

Oh... I believe it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The debacle with P99 and the NJSP that Farnam detailed in his quips is even more amazing. IIRC, the Colonel ordered the 16 round magazine to be reduced to 15.
    Couple things on this one. I think they were actually transitioning from HK P-7 M8s to the SW-99s not the actual Walthers, which is why they were quickly replaced with SIG P-228s.

Regarding the magazine thing - there was an actual reason behind this. I'm not sure if it is still in effect but at that time the New Jersey state Attorney General's office had issued a legal opinion stating that state and local officers could only possess magazines greater than the state imposed 15 round limit while on duty. So if you were a New Jersey police officer issued say a Glock 17, you would be required to leave the gun at work or switch to 10 round magazines for off-duty carry.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-02-2015 at 10:37 PM.

When the ridiculous NY SAFE act was passed (after hours in an "Emergency Session" called by the Governor, and allegedly only people known to be in support were invited), I was in the middle of a trial at the Southern District of NY. Speaking with the contract security officers there, who work for the US Marshal's, all of whom are retired NYPD officers, they were directed by their "boss" (contractor) to download their G19 magazines to 7 rounds.

I have several retired NY LEOs that have 10-round magazines that they are required to download to 7 rounds while carrying under HR 218...

I'll check through the NYPD connections to get the skinny on the G17s, though.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    When the ridiculous NY SAFE act was passed (after hours in an "Emergency Session" called by the Governor, and allegedly only people known to be in support were invited), I was in the middle of a trial at the Southern District of NY. Speaking with the contract security officers there, who work for the US Marshal's, all of whom are retired NYPD officers, they were directed by their "boss" (contractor) to download their G19 magazines to 7 rounds.

I have several retired NY LEOs that have 10-round magazines that they are required to download to 7 rounds while carrying under HR 218...

I'll check through the NYPD connections to get the skinny on the G17s, though.
    I've been to one world's fair, a picnic, and a rodeo and that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In NJ, unless one is an LEO for an agency in NJ and on duty, off duty cops and out of state cops can not have magazines exceeding 15 rounds, period. Cops wanting to carry their G17 home have to swap to ten round mags before leaving work. Back when the G17 was more commonly carried this led to a lot of guys carrying G19s off duty, not exactly a horrible choice.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In NJ, unless one is an LEO for an agency in NJ and on duty, off duty cops and out of state cops can not have magazines exceeding 15 rounds, period. Cops wanting to carry their G17 home have to swap to ten round mags before leaving work. Back when the G17 was more commonly carried this led to a lot of guys carrying G19s off duty, not exactly a horrible choice.
    And don't get me started on off-duty no-JHP ammunition in New Joisey. I actually had folks ask me for .40 S&W FMJ ammunition for "off duty" carry. I pointed out to them in our policy where we're reasonable expected to be armed at all times, so we're TECHNICALLY never carrying a firearm "off duty."

Hopefully this will never become an issue. Sometimes NYistan sounds almost reasonable...

The white one is the "original" NY trigger spring. The black one is even more stiff. I have a few examples of both, that came in a box of parts Glock sent to us in 1994. From talking with both NYSP and NYPD people who were here for Katrina, I was told that the New York trigger was developed at the request of NYPD. According to those guys, at that time NYSP used the standard coil trigger spring.

The NYSP were a class act. I wasn't happy when they left. I remember watching them load their units onto trailers and head back north.

JR1572

User Tag List