Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NYPD and the Glock 17 ?

That 15 rds requirement for the 17 is the kind of stuff that has gotten the NYPD's firearms program in trouble before, but hey, if it wasn't invented at Rodman's Neck, it don't count for beans.

Site Supporter
    Lazy and abusive towards their firearms are not traits exclusive to the NYPD but is often accurate.

Site Supporter
    Our COF is designed around 12 round mags - we just have our Glock 17 shooters load 12, but I'm not trying to qualify 1,000 officers per week like NYPD either.

I heard some pretty bizarre firearms related stuff in my 35 year police career, but limiting the G17 to a 15 round mag is certainly near the top.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I heard some pretty bizarre firearms related stuff in my 35 year police career, but limiting the G17 to a 15 round mag is certainly near the top.
    When NYPD switched to G19's in the early 90's, they limited the mags to 10 rds.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    When NYPD switched to G19's in the early 90's, they limited the mags to 10 rds.
    Were they ten round magazines filled to capacity, or 15 round capacity magazines with ten rounds loaded?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Talking about the uniformity of magazine capacity and such: The whole "NY-#" naming scheme is very interesting too. I didn't know much about it beyond the Glock springs, but then I got to reading some official NYPD text on it somewhere. It gave the impression that the NYPD thinks that all their guns---the Glock, the Sig, the S&W, and maybe even all the authorized off-duty guns---have the same trigger. And that's what they now call "the NY-2 trigger". It was kinda mind numbing reading that.

I find it strange that they allow such drastically different gun choices, but then get so hung up about trying to make sure the triggers are the same...only to totally misunderstand how many elements make up a trigger and how futile of an effort it is to have both a Sig and a Glock with the same trigger. If they care so much about uniformity, they should just issue everyone the same gun and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Were they ten round magazines filled to capacity, or 15 round capacity magazines with ten rounds loaded?
    I don't remember anymore, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Talking about the uniformity of magazine capacity and such: The whole "NY-#" naming scheme is very interesting too. I didn't know much about it beyond the Glock springs, but then I got to reading some official NYPD text on it somewhere. It gave the impression that the NYPD thinks that all their guns---the Glock, the Sig, the S&W, and maybe even all the authorized off-duty guns---have the same trigger. And that's what they now call "the NY-2 trigger". It was kinda mind numbing reading that.

I find it strange that they allow such drastically different gun choices, but then get so hung up about trying to make sure the triggers are the same...only to totally misunderstand how many elements make up a trigger and how futile of an effort it is to have both a Sig and a Glock with the same trigger. If they care so much about uniformity, they should just issue everyone the same gun and be done with it.
    There are some very special people involved in weapons/tactics/training/procurement in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I think they had the black ones before that. There was a black and a white which were discontinued in the 1990s.
    The white one is the "original" NY trigger spring. The black one is even more stiff. I have a few examples of both, that came in a box of parts Glock sent to us in 1994. From talking with both NYSP and NYPD people who were here for Katrina, I was told that the New York trigger was developed at the request of NYPD. According to those guys, at that time NYSP used the standard coil trigger spring.

No way for me to check… because the NYSP guys showed up sans firearms. I shit you not. So we issued them Sigs and duty leather for same. I asked one of them why in the hell didn't they bring their pistols??? He said their brass wasn't sure we would allow them to carry; so they sent them anyway, unarmed.

Simply unbelievable… but true.

User Tag List