Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NYPD and the Glock 17 ?

Site Supporter

NYPD and the Glock 17 ?

So for the past 20 years, the NYPD has authorized three primary duty guns, the Glock 19, the S&W 5946 and the SIG P226 DAO. Prior S&W and Ruger .38 revolvers were grandfathered as well.

I've heard NYPD is now either:

A) Adding the 17 as an authorized fourth option, or...

B) Making the 17 THE sole duty gun for all new recruits and grandfathering in the 19/5946/226 and remaining revolvers.

Im guessing 17s would be a Gen 4s? And I'm also guessing they will retain the NY plus trigger?

The P226 DAO has never been very popular but I'm wondering if S&W is no longer going to produce or support the 5946 and if that was a factor?

I'm also wondering if the decision for the 17 vs the 19 was driven by reliability concerns? As I've posted before, my agency currently authorizes the 17 and 26 as personally owned duty gun options. I was told the 19 is excluded for us based on reliability issues seen in previously issued Gen 3 19s and during testing of Gen 4 9mms.

What says the P-F hive mind ?

Ditch the stupid NY trigger, adopt the 17 Gen 4 across the board and call it good.

Bit of a tanget: Does anyone know the story of the NY trigger? Why is it so different from the regular trigger?
    Glock did not just make the tension heavier but change the direction the spring pulls and changed it to a leaf
    spring. The whole change is much bigger than just switching to a heavier version of the standard trigger.
    If you read the original safe trigger patent, they certainly expected to be changing trigger weights. The
    original trigger was designed to be very adjustable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Bit of a tanget: Does anyone know the story of the NY trigger? Why is it so different from the regular trigger?
    Glock did not just make the tension heavier but change the direction the spring pulls and changed it to a leaf
    spring. The whole change is much bigger than just switching to a heavier version of the standard trigger.
    If you read the original safe trigger patent, they certainly expected to be changing trigger weights. The
    original trigger was designed to be very adjustable.
    The original coil spring is a nominal 5.5 lbs, Glock then offered an 8 lb coil spring to further LE sales. The original NY Trigger (NY-1), the olive leaf spring, was developed at the request of the NY State Police for their Glock 17's. It also gives an 8 lb pull but the pull weight is consistent through the full range length of the pull like a revolver trigger vs the normal Glock trigger which has a light take up followed by reaching the full weight at a short "wall" at the end of the trigger pull. NYPD uses the NY-2, the orange leaf spring which gives a long 12 lb pull.

Are you certain the NYPD uses the NY-2 rather than the NY-1?

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I am.

I had (2) former NYPD G19's. Both came with the original black leaf trigger spring. They don't have a coil in them. Always interested to learn more about them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Yes, NYPD Uses the Orange NY-2. They were using them as of 2000 when I went to Glock Armorer school at rodmans neck. I think they had the black ones before that. There was a black and a white which were discontinued in the 1990s.

The NY State Police use the NY -1 or at least they did back when they had Glock 17s. I think they have 37s now.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-02-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    So now I'm hearing option C - the gen 4 Glock 17 will be the third option replacing the 5946.

I'm guessing S&W has stopped producing them, even on a limited basis ?

From a couple NYPD guys on another forum:

10,000 round test is what I have been told with the department's duty rounds ( currently gold dot 124 g +p) for service weapons. The idea is so the recruit can go his entire career without having the gun fail on him. Nypd cops are thought to be lazy and abusive toward their firearms( as many are) . I do not know if it applies to off duty guns. The Glock 17 will be approved according to the 20k instructors( moonlighting range instructors temp assigned to the " new deescalation" type training ). The smith is being phased out by smith and Wesson . The new recruit smiths were made in a different factory than the older ones. The Glock 17 approval is pending Glock supplying 15 round magazines for the gun instead of the 17 round so all the cops are on the same page.
    As I was retiring the job was testing the next generation Glock (with the angled extractor that had the chambered round indicator nub). During my last summer qualification all shooters on the line finished up and then were given the prototypes and fifty rounds to fire. Malfunctions and the prototype serial number were noted on each shooter's score sheet. RO said the goals was 10,000 rounds per EACH prototype and I saw 25 prototypes on the line that day. I was told there were many more prototypes in testing than that. That's a hell of a lot of ammo and testing.

Thus, both rookies and seasoned officers were shooting the gun for testing purposes Rodman's neck is an outdoor facility so you are shooting in all climates all year long.

In my opinion if a pistol survives all that the NYPD throws at it it's good to go.

As to a 15 round model 17 it's ludicrous to me, but the JOB has always required that all service weapons have the same magazine capacity. That's from the puzzle palace.

User Tag List