Thread: I need Help with my practice with the VP-9

I need Help with my practice with the VP-9

I need some assistance with practicing my shooting specifically with the VP-9. For some odd reason I am not as consitant as I want to be. I do not know what people's schedules are like in NOVA but if I am going to try and make it to ESS twice a week for the next few weeks while it is a little slow for me. Mostly during the week. Weekend is devoted to my wife for the next 5 months.

Anyone have any drills that I can do? It think it is a mixture of the sights and trigger right now. Sights are Meprolights and the trigger is just standard. I just want to get better like I am with my Glock 19 and Beretta 92 Elite II. I know two different systems there but I can call my shots.

I am shooting low and to the right with the VP-9.

Thanks.

Also if anyone can watch me with my shooting and give me pointers it would be appriciated.

I am like, the last person to give any advice, but I will tell you what I've done over the last two years, first with an M&P (3,600 ish rounds) then with my VP9 (400 ish rounds since March.)

I preface this by saying meeting with, and getting an evaluation from, a good coach will shorten this process considerably.

Size the grip correctly

I experimented a lot with the grip panels on the VP9 before settling on M back and S sides. I used Paul Sharp's grip video, as well as Bob Vogel's, to refine this.

Paul Sharp Video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F6KjE6Ic5ds

Bob Vogel Video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc

Grip Hard

No, harder than that. . Sort of kidding, but gripping very very firmly seems to isolate my trigger finger more.

Balance a nickel / penny / dime

Putting a coin on the slide might be a party trick, but it allowed me to learn the muscle memory of isolating the press from the grip.

Ball and dummy

Inserting a few Tipton snap caps into magazines at random helped me avoid a flinch at the break.

Wall drills

Lastly, many thousand dry presses, with proper form, staring with two eyes on the front sight. I also found this thread by Jay very helpful:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....dated-07-21-15

When I started in 2013, my gun was "off" low and right (I'm a lefty) as much as a foot at seven yards. Today, I can get 9 of 10 rounds centered on a B-8 at 25 yards.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to other expert opinions out there.

Rich
    Last edited by RJ; 10-02-2015 at 01:18 PM.

I had to grip the VP9 differently than my other guns due to the location of the slide release and it happened to improve my shooting as well. All I did was flag my shooting hand thumb, pushing it straight up to where it's almost touching the slide. At the same time apply opposite (downward) force with your other fingers. It's almost like you're fighting muzzle rise but ya know, all the time. Works for me but YMMV.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List