Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock Striker Life Expectancy

The major problem with striker tips is firing ammo with lead free primers--this can cause premature erosion and breakage.

Otherwise, as noted above, Glock OEM strikers are generally NOT an issue.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 10-05-2015 at 11:43 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The major problem with striker tips is firing ammo with lead free primers--this can cause premature erosion and breakage.

The link below was a story from 2013 where a local SO had some erosion issues. The cause was never confirmed ammo or the strikers. All the guns were inspected in any event.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/05/13...lock-handguns/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

I'm aware of one large Northeastern PD whose Glock strikers were eroding badly, courtesy of the lead free training ammo they were using. I'm guessing there is something about the primer cup's construction that causes this to take place.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I don't see it very often. In fact if we look at parts life in a Glock the striker gives me lesser concerns about maintenance schedules than many other parts in the Glock. I do however monitor the tip of any firing pin on a normal maintenance / user level inspection and teach this to all students. One of my Gen4 G17's which is a very early serial number is pretty much my own personal test mule. Small sample of just one pistol that I abuse, but overall it is my favorite Glock that I own. It has seen ~90K and may hit 100K by the end of the year. So far I have changed the ejector, extractor and RSA @25K to fix some issues problematic to early Gen4's, and around 75K changed striker and trigger springs to play with some combo's but everything was still going at that point. Right now same striker. I did polish internals which included the rear of the striker. Again this is only 1 pistol. I do however have a large number of Glock pistols to track, however they are fairly new in their lifespan.
    I'm going to guess that Glock doesn't provide a pass/fail specification on striker length or minimum/maximum breechface protrusion, do they? That kind of tech information would be valuable for an agency and its armorers.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    . . . and RSA @25K
    You changed the early production RSA at 25K rounds? That would have been the notorious "unmarked" .40 weight RSA would it not? We have a couple of them still running great in two of my son's Spring of 2010 Gen 4 G17s. I know one of them is around 12K rounds and is tight.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

At my last team, we had issued G19s from the 2005ish timeframe that went through 7-10K rounds/year on a light year. We replaced RSAs annually, everything else, "as needed." We finally just gutted the guns and rebuilt with all new OEM parts in 2012, I would guess the average pistol had 50-75K rounds through them at that point. None of the strikers I replaced ever had issues with light strikes, and none of them looked significantly different from the new strikers we installed...

YMMV, and anyone on here will tell you I'm the furthest thing from a GLOCK fanboi - that's just not a part I would expect to see failing in the average shooter's lifetime...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'm going to guess that Glock doesn't provide a pass/fail specification on striker length or minimum/maximum breechface protrusion, do they? That kind of tech information would be valuable for an agency and its armorers.
    Hey Wayne, there is no pass / fail spec or gauge to measure protrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    You changed the early production RSA at 25K rounds? That would have been the notorious "unmarked" .40 weight RSA would it not? We have a couple of them still running great in two of my son's Spring of 2010 Gen 4 G17s. I know one of them is around 12K rounds and is tight.
    Yes it was the early non marked RSA and old style ejector. I was having btf issues from about 1500 rounds all the way until I made the change. I intentionally ran the pistol that way until the change right at around 25k. I shot a video where I ran 60 rounds with the original parts then swapped the RSA and pulled the ejector and ran 60 more rounds. For my pistol the new RSA and ejector solved the issue.

User Tag List