Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's almost 2016, and I want an AK 47

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I hopothesized that if I shot 10K rounds through the gun and simply tossed it in the garbage after that number of rounds I was money ahead on shooting anything else available at the time. The infatuation didnt last that long, however.

I just cleaned my corrosve stuff with Shooters Choice and never had any trouble at all. Have cleaned a pristine 1903-A3, an H-K 91 and a couple others shot with corrosive ammo that way with no ill effects.

Shooter's Choice used to have a high ammonia content. That is what cut the primer salts in the corrosive ammo. Now that the enviro-nazis have gotten their hooks into gun solvents (Hoppe's was the first to cave, IIRC), I doubt you'll find anything so effective offered as an OTS product.

Butch's Bore Shine still has a slight amount of ammonia (at least, the last bottle I bought did), but nowhere near that of the original Shooter's Choice; that was some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

I like all sorts of things, just some more than others.

It was hard to resist when the 5.45 commie ammo was $109/1000. You cant begin to reload anything for that price. It was a flirtation in any event. When the luster faded, off it went. Fun while it lasted.
    I'm kicking myself for not getting an AK 74 and a boat load of 7n6 before the import ban. There's still a lot to like about the caliber, but damn, paying double what it was 18 months ago sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK-Buy

It really depends, if you were to go with an AK Pistol. Great caliber for a short barrel.

It hits hard and they're super reliable. It's not so much a matter of brand; it's more about Cast OR Forge.

Of course, price is always key.

It's also about picking one that either you like for looks, 'furniture'

or making into a Tact-Shooter.

Don't go into it for $1k and expect to have CASH on hand for accessories.

Best be it either a Quad Picatinny or something that has room for decent ammo.

How 'nice' would it be to purchase some (Bear) Russian Ammo and throw it down.

Either way, mags are VERY Distinct and it just adds to the fun.

Try Circle-K for some ideas

Well I waited too long to decide and now WASRs and O Paps are both unobtanium, at least at Atlantic. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay AR 15 money for an AK, so that may be that.

Thanks a lot, Putin.
    Last edited by Mitch; 10-19-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Well I waited too long to decide and now WASRs and O Paps are both unobtanium
    A local shop still has WASRs, but they're like high $500s now. A few on gunbroker near that price. They're out there, still.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=516411389
    http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=wasr+10

I wouldn't pay that for one. Even an Atlantic "QC'd" sample or one I got to handpick. But you can if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd be interested to hear thoughts too. I like the look of a pre-magpulled AK for shooter purposes.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I'd be interested to hear thoughts too. I like the look of a pre-magpulled AK for shooter purposes.
    Blain from Atlantic returned my email and said he'd pick the DDI, but that they were pretty much equal.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Blain from Atlantic returned my email and said he'd pick the DDI, but that they were pretty much equal.
    Interesting. I wonder how much of that is just "I don't want to admit to owning a Century" and/or "please buy the more expensive one I sell".

If all things are truly pretty much equal, I'd save $75 on the rifle and spend it on ammo and mags.

I'm behind the times on this, but what's the word on all these barrel nitride treatments instead of chrome lining?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    A local shop still has WASRs, but they're like high $500s now. A few on gunbroker near that price. They're out there, still.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=516411389
    http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=wasr+10

I wouldn't pay that for one. Even an Atlantic "QC'd" sample or one I got to handpick. But you can if you want to.
    I agree completely. I'm not paying that for a wasr. Now I think I just have to decide if I want an ak bad enough to pay arsenal prices, and if I do that I'm getting an slr 107 or 104. I'm really unsure about that, though. $1000 is just tough for me to swallow for an ak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List