Thread: Quick magazine question for going into a ban state for a class.

Quick magazine question for going into a ban state for a class.

My apologies if this has been covered, just a question (with probably an obvious answer) and wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm looking at going to CA for a Defoor pistol class. I'm assuming that I need to buy neutered magazines, right?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I've been told by experienced competitive shooters that it is legal. I have not looked into it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I've been told by experienced competitive shooters that it is legal. I have not looked into it personally.
    I've heard it both ways from individuals I trust and I'm not sure what verbiage to plug into Google, either. I'll FB message Defoor and see what the guidance is.

I have no reservations buying the mags, I'll happily trade them to a CA shooter afterwards for a beer... or three.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Tree_Octopus View Post
    I've heard it both ways from individuals I trust and I'm not sure what verbiage to plug into Google, either. I'll FB message Defoor and see what the guidance is.

I have no reservations buying the mags, I'll happily trade them to a CA shooter afterwards for a beer... or three.
    That is my local range, PM me.

If you want to follow the law, you will need to only bring 10 round mags. I'm sure many people have done otherwise when visiting and not had an issue but your mileage may vary. Ironically there will likely be CA residents who have had high cap mags since before the state ban that will have high caps in your class. You should check out Calguns for Cal specific legal advice. Lot of good info here: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by IceDevil View Post
    If you want to follow the law, you will need to only bring 10 round mags. I'm sure many people have done otherwise when visiting and not had an issue but your mileage may vary. Ironically there will likely be CA residents who have had high cap mags since before the state ban that will have high caps in your class. You should check out Calguns for Cal specific legal advice. Lot of good info here: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Main_Page
    I bought 10 round mags for a CA visit.

Take it from me for what little its worth: dont be the dude checking his guns in at the LAX departure terminal with a banned 15 rounder in the case. You'll be fortunate if the LA based CS rep doesn't pass out in sheer psychological terror as it is.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I bought 10 round mags for a CA visit.

Take it from me for what little its worth: dont be the dude checking his guns in at the LAX departure terminal with a banned 15 rounder in the case. You'll be fortunate if the LA based CS rep doesn't pass out in sheer psychological terror as it is.
    I have travelled in and out of SFO with evil guns and magazines more times than I can count. I've never had one issue. (Airline of your choice) and TSA are there to (attempt) make sure the firearm is safe for travel and not to enforce Kalifornia gun laws. Given that there is no restriction on possession of magazines, I don't really see how LE would get involved. I of course recommend following the law, but the paranoia is in my experience unwarranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have travelled in and out of SFO with evil guns and magazines more times than I can count. I've never had one issue. (Airline of your choice) and TSA are there to (attempt) make sure the firearm is safe for travel and not to enforce Kalifornia gun laws. Given that there is no restriction on possession of magazines, I don't really see how LE would get involved. I of course recommend following the law, but the paranoia is in my experience unwarranted.
    LAX was a different story when I flew out. The airline rep at the gate damn near passed out ; she was visibly perturbed at the presence of my Berettas until I flashed my veteran ID . That factor combined with the quartet of LAX airport police nearby could have equaled problems if she made a fuss or said aloud "Why do you have a mega-death-kill magazine?" Not that she could have legally made much of a fuss as it was , but life's too short for misunderstandings like that .10 round mags and peace of mind beats 15 rounders and blood pressure meds.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

My thought is, why risk it? Just because a thousand people have safely gone before you doesn't mean you won't meet the CA gun deprived Cleeti ninja pissed off because the Raiders lost, hates you for owning cool crap with the extra scratch to play with it, and decides it's his day to earn a new TSA stripe on his sleeve and a pay bump.

A weekend in CA enjoying the weather with 10 round mags beats the same time with 15 rounders plus 10 years of MS-13 prison love and a perma-ban on ever owning firearms again.

User Tag List