Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to handle stupid comments from the RO

Site Supporter
    Try practicing F.F.P. It can help with perspective. FFP = If you are not Feeding Me, Fucking Me, of Paying My Mortgage, I don't care what you think about me.

When the rso interrupt me to tell me, "You know, it won't fire like that."
    I would say thanks for reminding me, ( very nicely) rack the slide and yell "BANG, BANG" as loud as I could !
    I find as I get older my sarcastic smart ass comes out naturally. I do like to mess with people that need to be messed with.

Carry on and keep up the good work !

Mike

Years ago, the range I was on (outdoor) had big steel frames and the backers were plywood. If the backers weren't set in just right, they would fall off the hangers in the middle of a hot range so you'd be stuck waiting to shoot again.

So my friend and I are taking turns on a shotgun with slugs, and right after a cold range where we hung a brand new paper target on the backer, I put a slug through it and the backer drops. The RO insists that I've shot the frame and proceeds to tell the other shooters around me that this is what happened. The way the backer dropped, it was propped against the frame on the ground and the target was completely visible, with a clean HALF INCH HOLE in the middle of the paper. But whatever, guy.

Some ROs are just like that.
    Last edited by mc1911; 10-05-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    A prolapsed rectum is no joke. Especially not to the EMTs I had to send, who ended up pushing it back in. Eek!
    ummm TMI

For the most part I ignore all ROs at the range. They typically only serve as a distraction, not anything of value. Yes I want to be safe, if I'm being safe leave me alone, if I am not, stop me.

The worst incident I ever had with an RO was when I showed up at the range, a bright-eyed bushy-tailed 21-year old with a new 1911. As I pulled it from the case and began loading magazines the RO walked by, "You know that thing is gonna jam when you need it most, right?" - I smiled and loaded the gun. I proceeded to fire 250 rounds of ball and JHP without a single failure from GI-spec magazines, while cleaning the center out of the target at 15 and 25 yards. After awhile, the RO came by again, "Just remember kid, you can shoot fine on the range, but it'll get you killed on the street." I smiled at the RO and then said, "I don't recall asking for your advice or your opinion. If I wanted an asshole's opinion, I would've asked you when I walked in." That was the end of having ROs bother me at the range.

-Rob

i have had tons of people come shoot without sights on their rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    As an RSO, I see two sides to this.

Take the stupidest thing you've ever seen someone do with a gun.Multiply that times every open day of business, and you've got a rough approximation of what an RSO sees.

To gather the impact of what that statement means, my last shift I saw a guy with three girls shooting a HiPoint 995 carbine .

Minus a rear sight.
    Yeah, the girls thought it was a hoot too when I pointed it out. He didn't for some reason.

On the other side the stupidity isn't confined to one side of the range counter. I'm ashamed to admit my coworker at the range carried a 92FS with the hammer cocked in a SERPA.
    Shift before last a customer's un-lubed Beretta(different guy and gun) was repetitively stovepiping in the hands of his female shooting companion, so with the intent on helping address the problem I asked the where the gun lube was .

"There's a can of WD40 right there kid "

The stories here (on both sides) sure make me glad that the small amount of time my range requires me to act as an RO has been uneventful. I'll occasionally have conversations with people about what they're shooting, etc, but it's always been polite and non-problematic on both sides, as far as I can tell. Not being a pain in their ass, not insulting them, and not insulting what they're shooting may have something to do with it. Even the few people I've had to caution about safety stuff have been pretty cooperative and polite. I guess I've just been lucky.
    Last edited by olstyn; 10-05-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    ummm TMI
    I don't know about TMI, but definitely TMR!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

So Saturday dawns cool, and I decide to zip over to the range to try out the press out vs. index debate. And to check my new ear pro out.

Get to the three yard line, and set up almost all the way to the right with a couple of FAST targets to shoot at.

So I am working my way slowly through a couple boxes of ammo, when sets up to my left nice older couple, with what looks like college son and gf.

Older lady starts to take shots using her revolver; I'd guess a .38 special. Her husband is helping her out with sensible sugestions, and providing good advice (I can't help hearing this; the MSA ear pro is excellent.)

So anyway, about her second or third group, over comes an older gray haired paunchy RO, and proceeds to 'advise' her about her grip on the revolver. You can kind of tell husband is Not Thrilled with this.

So RO ambles off, and I overhear Husband railing to wife, basically saying these fricken' ROs need to MYOB unless safety is involved, that if they need advice, they will damn well will ask for it.

I am wandering by at this point, and basically give him eye contact and reach up to give him a high five and a smile.

After a slight hesitation, guy breaks into a grin and gives me a smack and a nod.

Same range. Husband and wife were not members. I doubt next year I will be either.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-05-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

My question is, are these kind of comments typical of Range Officers?

Should I have said something back, or to the Rangemaster controlling the range?

Or is this just to be expected, and I should HTFU and get on with life?

Thanks...
    If you don't like it, become a Range Officer, and set a better standard for the rest to follow.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List