Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PF crowdfunding a .300 upper for MattO

PF crowdfunding a .300 upper for MattO

Title edited as LittleLebowski is personally leading a crowd funding effort to get MattO something he can hunt with. He just had a kid, is working full time, and also going to school.

I am considering purchasing a "large" bore (i.e. > .30) rifle for hunting and general purpose long gun use. At present, I only own 5.56 carbines which are illegal to hunt with here in VA. I will say up front that I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on this. I realize not setting a specific figure isn't exactly helpful, but this is still a concept I'm warming up to and so I would therefore call this a psuedo "budget" gun project; take from that what you will.

Several issues that complicate things are: 1) I'm left eye dominant and shoot all long guns/bows, etc., left handed, 2) have a (potentially irrational?) desire for iron sights on any long gun, along with the option to use a red dot or scope, and 3) though not necessarily a priority, the option to add a suppressor would be nice. I can't imagine I would need to shoot beyond 200-250 yards here in VA, so I'm not looking to spend the coin on a super long range option.

Options I have been considering are as follows:
    • Lever Action: Classic, decently hard hitting, ambi controls for the most part. Slight concern about Marlin safety or lack of safety on Winchester.
    • Bolt Action: I like bolt actions, but left hand actions are few and far between and even fewer with iron sights. The Ruger GSR is intriguing, but I've heard reports of sloppy bolts and marginally useful front sight, though it could be used suppressed which is nice.
    • Garand: Both my grandfathers carried one, classic appeal, but heavy, likely limited to iron sight use and may need to tune ammo or the gas plug.
    • Shotgun: I'd like to acquire a shotgun at some point, so another option would be to just get a 590 or 1301 and find slugs that will group out to 75-100 yards. The range limitation on this option might be
    • 300 BLK AR: I've been interested in getting an SBR for quite some time, so an option that could serve double duty as a hunting/home defense platform would be attractive. This avenue also provides the option of using a suppressor, though from what I've heard lefties, suppressors and AR's aren't always a good mix as far as gas to the face goes.

I've spent a bit of time thinking about this and am reaching the analysis paralysis point, so I thought I'd turn querying those with much more long-gun experience than myself.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Very hard to answer, without understanding how you prioritize features, as your choices run the gamut of long guns.

A possibility would be to buy an older Marlin 336 in 30-30, assuming you want equal or greater than .30 caliber (your post said greater than .30). Good to your distance, left friendly, cheap ammo, hunting and practical, iron sight and optic friendly, accurate enough, and reasonably priced.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Would the 300 blk have to be an sbr? If not I think all you would have to do is grab a 300 blk upper and slap it on one of your existing lowers, as long as the barrel is 16inches?

Like this:

Ive had bad luck with my Marlin 30-30 in terms of accuracy. Best groupings ive pulled off are 4" at 100 yards. That is "fine" for a 200 yard rifle, but it still gives me little confidence in hitting the target where I intend to hit it.

You might consider the CZ527 in 7.62x39.

Or if you want to make this a "project" consider getting a bolt gun without sights and adding them later. In the interim you could run a micro red dot

Can you elaborate a bit more about your feelings about the safety (or lack of) concerns with the Marlins and Winchesters? What each have/had for safeties varys by their vintage. Either would work for a medium range, deer capable rifle, and are probably more similar than not in most regards, again, depending on vintage.

Many seem reluctant to add decent iron sights to bolt actions. I base my choices on what action/gun I want, then make it up how i want them, which sometimes means having a ramp screwed and sweated (yes, both in most cases) on the barrel, and the receiver drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, at least for backup to a scope, or for summer (carry around) use, that is, not actively hunting per se. I inletted under the butt pad on one or two for the receiver sight slide. The Lymans have push button releases. Once zero'ed, and the stop screw run down, the slide can be removed and stored, and easily replaced for use.

Some people dont like to make a project out of their gun, or tinker with them. I enjoy it a bit, and really enjoy making something how it seems best suited for my use, rather than carrying it around and always wishing it was different. Once you get them how you like them, it adds to the enjoyment of using them. I think GJM can appreciate that thought, as well as many pistol or AR carbine users.

ETA: Just saw Jerrys post. Many lever actions can benefit from both a little tuning/troubleshooting, and load work or trying different factory loads. Relieving tension or pressure in the stocks or forends, mag tubes, and other things can make a difference. Some may never shoot well, for whatever reason, many will shoot pretty darned good. I dont know if anyone has figured out a definitive way to tell without doing some things with them, but if you like the general type, its probably worth tinkering with.

Article about accurizing lever actions in the link. Theres other ideas on the subject also.
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/Default.htm
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-30-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Ive had bad luck with my Marlin 30-30 in terms of accuracy. Best groupings ive pulled off are 4" at 100 yards. That is "fine" for a 200 yard rifle, but it still gives me little confidence in hitting the target where I intend to hit it.

You might consider the CZ527 in 7.62x39.

Or if you want to make this a "project" consider getting a bolt gun without sights and adding them later. In the interim you could run a micro red dot
    CZ is s great choice. Taadski and I shot mine Sunday at 100. However, not a great lefty friendly gun.

PS, if my Marlin .336 only shot four inches at 100, it would be fixed or sent down the road.

Based on your criteria I would take a long hard look at a Ruger American Rifle.

It is inexpensive and will make a good hunting rifle. I got one for my old man in .243 due to some physical issues he has developed with recoil over the years. He is pleased with it.

It isn't much to look at but they offer them in a left handed model, although I do not know availability and pricing of the LH models they do exit. There are some different variations but a RH model can be had new for about $350-$400.

It is available in .308 and .30-06

It does not have iron sights so that is a minus.

Head down to VA Arms and take a look and ask what issues they have had with them and customer complaints, they will give ya a pretty honest answer as to issues they have seen.

I believe it was the Ruger American I read about. A guy bought one in 243 for a basic medium-long range shooting class. In the first box of factory shells, they had it zero'ed and made a stupid small group at 5 or 600 yards.

In lefty form with a useful lower power scope it could be the answer.

ETA: My mistake, it was at 650 yards.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=516765
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-01-2015 at 12:28 AM.

User Tag List