Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pinning the trigger as a technique for difficult shots

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    During a recent class we on purpose moved the front post in the notch all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, then low, then high. All shots for me were still in the A zone at 7 yards. It just proved to me that I needed to get a better trigger technique and it wasn't about sight picture for me.
    Quick side note, since I always had the wrong impression about this when people talked about it until I experimented myself:

If the target remains aligned with the front sight during such misalignment, yes the shots will still be -0 or A zone.

If the target remains aligned with the rear sight during such misalignment, the shots will be way off.

Personally, when I draw too fast and have misaligned sights, it's because the front sight is in the wrong place, while the rear sight is roughly correct. Anatomically this makes sense since the rear sight is right over the grip, whereas the front sight is way out on a stick essentially, being steered around. In this case, the misalignment demo isn't particularly relevant and is actually quite misleading. The moral of the story is that the alignment of the front sight with the target is paramount. The rest of sight alignment is auxiliary.

I never pin the trigger back and always reset it under recoil (Glock or 1911). There were times where I would experiment by consciously try to shoot slow fire bullseye groups and pin the trigger back to wait for the gun to finish recoiling before resetting and pressing, but I found that didn't noticeably improve my accuracy over resetting under recoil and fully pressing the trigger again.

Might just be trick of the day, but I did it with great results on steel at 50, support hand only, at Gunsite Wednesday. And, as recently as a few hours ago, 10/10 on an eight inch plate at 20, support hand only. For me, gets rid of any anticipation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Might just be trick of the day, but I did it with great results on steel at 50, support hand only, at Gunsite Wednesday. And, as recently as a few hours ago, 10/10 on an eight inch plate at 20, support hand only. For me, gets rid of any anticipation.
    Now I feel like we are talking about something else, unless I previously misunderstood, which may have happened.

TGO told me many years ago to reset very fast when shooting one handed. It was the only thing he couldn't fully explain, but he felt it really helped. I have found that to be true.

User Tag List