Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pinning the trigger as a technique for difficult shots

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Funny about Ernest, as my recollection was YVK telling me that Ernest was advocating it for difficult shots.

I don't pin for follow through on the shot that just happened, but to stop myself from resetting in recoil on the hard shots, as I want to flip and press in one continuous motion.
    That might not be the reason but I'd venture to say the fact that you're seeing best results with pinning means the bullseye style follow through is keeping you from disturbing the gun that tiny bit more for best precision.

Pinning definitely works for me on precision shots too. I'm also less worried about recoil control on long shots knowing that a quick follow up shot is less important than a perfect trigger release.

I've gone back and forth on a slow reset then pausing before firing vs. a continuous reset-press roll and think the reset-pause-press works better for me but really want to get the Apex barrel in my M&P to improve the signal to noise ratio on my precision shooting before I make a decision.

I grew up shooting bullseye. We always pinned the trigger until the sights settled. That was more for safety though. The trigger on the model 52 I normally shot was extremely light. Not pinning it was a recipe for rounds over the berm.

Trying to learn to shoot fast has been difficult for me because it feels really unnatural to release the trigger during recoil.

Sent from my grey matter using telepathy.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Lots of high zoot IPSC shooters pin the trigger on difficult shots. I do it, but I don't like it because of the time factor and because pinning the trigger means my trigger control and vision are out of sync.

I do it to some degree on difficult shots, it's second nature to me. The slower, more difficult and deliberate shots I always pin the trigger on recoil. I generally try to reset the trigger as fast as the gun settles back, but for pure accuracy work I don't mind taking my time.

I shoot a ton of longer range stuff with my pistols and is a regular part of my routine. Normal shooting I will reset during recoil and there will be no audible "click" of the weapon resetting. With more difficult longer distance shots, I do not reset under recoil. I probably don't "pin" the trigger for very long perhaps like many here may be discussing, but I will definitely not reset the weapon as fast and you will hear the audible "click" of the reset.

My Glock 17 Gen4 comes very close to my Classic Sigs, but I will mention that my P320 produces some amazing results, best of my Sigs. I have about as much confidence in my P320 at distance as I do with my favorite long range shooter, my 2011 STI Tac 5.0.

Interestingly, and with odd timing - this was posted at: http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/10/01/tr...isconceptions/ today - edited to the applicable portion...

"The Click of Fail

To fire more than one shot we have to reset the trigger, releasing the trigger to travel forward enough to re-engage the firing mechanism of the handgun. On a double action revolver resetting the trigger means letting the trigger come all the way forward again so you can fire the next shot. On most semi-automatic pistols it means letting the trigger move to a little beyond the reset point and then very quickly removing whatever slack is left so the next shot can be fired.

Unfortunately a lot of people get the reset wrong. Invariably when I’m on the range with Glock shooters I will encounter what I call The Click of Fail. The shooter will fire their pistol and then pin the trigger to the rear of the gun as the weapon cycles, waiting to reset until the gun has settled again. Then they will slowly let the trigger back out to the reset and fire the next shot. Usually the trigger reset is done more slowly than the actual trigger pull. That means I hear something like:

BANG……..*click*BANG…….*click*BANG……….*click*BANG

The results on target are usually pretty ugly.

Resetting the trigger is something we have to do before we can fire the next shot. That’s it, folks. It does absolutely nothing for us apart from that. There is absolutely no reason to reset the trigger in a slow and deliberate manner because it doesn’t mean a damn thing to actually firing the next shot. It’s like going to the airport. You don’t want to be in the airport, you just have to deal with that horrible place so you can get to your destination. Nobody wants to hang around the airport unless they are so lonely that they look forward to having TSA “agents” fondle their genitals. Belaboring the reset is even worse than hanging around the airport because there’s absolutely no chance of even a cheap thrill.

Learn to reset the trigger as the gun is cycling/recoiling. Doing so gives you more time to work the trigger properly and deliver the next shot with more precision. Waiting until the gun comes back to rest to reset the trigger and THEN trying to pull the trigger often contributes to attacking the trigger and anticipation, especially when a timer is involved.

I know there are some instructors out there who actively teach a slow reset of the trigger, but those people are wrong. Nobody shoots like that in any endeavor where time is of the essence, be that a competitive environment or a gunfight. I’m not in favor of teaching techniques that fall apart when the timer comes out or bullets start flying."

I don't have a dog in the fight either way, just pointing out a public contrary opinion...

psalms, I think most of us agree more than desagree on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I do it to some degree on difficult shots, it's second nature to me. The slower, more difficult and deliberate shots I always pin the trigger on recoil. I generally try to reset the trigger as fast as the gun settles back (or simply as fast as possible, while cycling, for fast shooting), but for pure accuracy work I don't mind taking my time.
    Edited for clarity...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Interestingly, and with odd timing - this was posted at: http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/10/01/tr...isconceptions/ today - edited to the applicable portion...
    I don't have a dog in the fight either way, just pointing out a public contrary opinion...
    That guy is a jerk...I wouldn't listen to him.

I have encountered that as an issue time and time again on the range...and just last weekend SLG and I were in class with some folks who found that they were performing poorly because of having been taught to pin the trigger through the reset. I think that's horrible instruction that sets people up for failure.

The people talking here are, by in large, much more skilled and if they find it helps them under a specific set of shooting circumstances I'm certainly not going to tell them it's wrong. I've never pinned the trigger to make a long range shot. I always reset the trigger with my typical technique (as the gun is in recoil) and it's worked out good for me so far.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    I personally pin and reset for Glocks and TDA pistols. For DA revolvers, it makes no sense and for 1911s, it doesn't provide any benefit.

When shooting a match, I pretty much don't know what type of trigger control I use so I wing it and try not to throw any shots.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

I got much better at the timed and rapid fire portion of bullseye pistol matches when I learned how to reset on recoil without rushing into the next shot.
    For me, keeping everything inside the 9 ring during timed fire (25 yards, B8 target, one-handed; 20 seconds per 5 shot string, twice, for 10 rounds total), was pretty good. Keeping everything inside the 8 ring during rapid fire (same as above, but in 10 seconds) was pretty good.

This is what it looks like:

*apparently I suck at embedding video... [fixed --Tom_Jones]

If pinning the trigger is what the individual needs to do to achieve their best results, it is what it is. I'm not going to say that my mediocre bullseye trigger-control technique is better, just that it was developed to work within a specific game, with a specific accuracy requirement. I learned it from guys that do really well in that game. That said, they (and I at the time) had the ability to work on that specific technique for quite a while.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 10-11-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: embedded video
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List