Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a ransom rest?

Making a ransom rest?

Got a RMR on the way so next is sighting it in. I was to use a ransom rest to eliminate all human error. I also want to see how accurate my gun is. The only problem is I'm not spending ransom rest money. I want to build something. My plan is to use a bench vice and some sort of something to hold the gun.. Anybody have any ideas? I was thinking some thick hard foam clamping down on the gun. I notice the ransom rest lets it kinda spring back a little.. Do you think it would be bad to have it so tight that it really didn't move? Damage the slide? Any ideas are welcome. Hope this isn't to low class for the forum ole hillbilly ransom rest

Alternative to Ransom Rest

I'm new to this forum, but thought this might be interesting to those contemplating the purchase of a Ransom Rest.

I made this machine rest
    Name:  IMG_5490.jpg
Views: 5354
Size:  51.2 KBName:  IMG_5492.jpg
Views: 3891
Size:  61.0 KBName:  IMG_5502.jpg
Views: 3857
Size:  58.3 KBName:  IMG_5484.jpg
Views: 3524
Size:  40.2 KBName:  IMG_5503.jpg
Views: 3388
Size:  70.2 KB
    a number of years ago, using two industrial ball bearing pillow blocks on a fabricated steel base. It includes both windage and elevation adjustments, and uses two adjustable Chevrolet valve springs and leather washers to control the absorption of the recoil. I estimate that I have about $125 invested in it. It is quite heavy (30 lbs. or so) and easily clamps to any sturdy shooting table. I made a set of dies to stamp out the leather washers, although the ones in the unit have lasted for years.

Regular Ransom grips can be used, or your own grips can be easily milled out of 3/4" plywood to save money.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've often read that a real Ransom Rest isn't actually repeatable enough to evaluate the accuracy of the most accurate handguns and loads.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Ransom Rest repeatability

I’ve never used a Ransom Rest per se, so I can’t speak for it. However, I have put six .38 specials in one oblong bullet hole at 50 ft with a 3 1/2” barreled S&W model 27-2 using the home made wooden inserts shown. The stability of the shooting table and the ammo choice are big factors when using one of these, though.

If you put a pistol in a bench vise and crank it until the pistol will not move under recoil, I think you're going to be really sad about what happens to your frame.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Above rest with Smith mounted

When using wooden inserts, an additional aluminum side plate was used.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FWIW, I would not trust any machine rest to shoot to the same point of impact as my hands...

I dont believe its purpose is to shoot to the same point as your hands, but to test guns and loads for mechanical accuracy by eliminating human holding error.

I also feel that clamping the gun tight in a vise is not a good idea. Its also not going to allow you to change the intended point of impact. Maybe you could move the target to get it on?

Reading the reviews on the midway site, most mention that the rest is best used on a solid concrete bench, some sued heavy steel pipe set in concrete with heavy steel plates to mount the rest on. Anything that can move is going to mess up your results.

id love to have a Ranson to mess with to test guns and loads. Geek sort of thing I guess. Id also love to have an XP100 pistol capable of shooting groups at 300 yards that most shoot with pistols at 25, with really good guns and loads. Another geek thing.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-01-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Got a RMR on the way so next is sighting it in. I was to use a ransom rest to eliminate all human error. I also want to see how accurate my gun is.
    Just saying...

True.

Both final zeroing and testing for mechanical accuracy may not both be practical with a ranson type, though our intrepid builder of rests may be able to answer that question better.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.

User Tag List