Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing new sight on HK P30

I'm buying some straight eights for my hk45 and was planning on taking them to a local gunshop to have them installed. They are the oldest and biggest gun shop in my area (Charlotte, NC). A few of the "gunsmiths" I talked to at the shop hadn't heard of Heinies....

Should I be worried? They looked at them on the website and said they could install them. Anything specifically related to these sights that are unique?

Thanks

WOW! Through Heinie that is going to run me around $220.00! If I order the sights through Brownells I should pay around $105 (including shipping). I live near Neil Keller from Kustom Ballistics, I wonder if he would install them for me for like $50 or so?

Todd, stay away from tools! That is horrible, horrible, horrible.

I was hoping for someone to chime in that such and such sight tool would work but it doesn't look like that is a posssiblity. I will call Kustom Ballistics and see what they say and if that is a no go I guess I will pony up the dough for Heinie. Does anyone know if Heinie does the install will they be pretty much set up for POA/POI? Those factory sights sure do suck but wow, $220!

Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    WOW! Through Heinie that is going to run me around $220.00! If I order the sights through Brownells I should pay around $105 (including shipping). I live near Neil Keller from Kustom Ballistics, I wonder if he would install them for me for like $50 or so?

Todd, stay away from tools! That is horrible, horrible, horrible.

I was hoping for someone to chime in that such and such sight tool would work but it doesn't look like that is a posssiblity. I will call Kustom Ballistics and see what they say and if that is a no go I guess I will pony up the dough for Heinie. Does anyone know if Heinie does the install will they be pretty much set up for POA/POI? Those factory sights sure do suck but wow, $220!
    Brownells doesn't list the heinie for the hk45/p30 last time I checked, how can you get them?
    Chemist.

Brownells will special order from one of their regular suppliers. Just call customer service and tell them the supplier part number. I have always done so as LE and they are very accommadating.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    Brownells will special order from one of their regular suppliers. Just call customer service and tell them the supplier part number. I have always done so as LE and they are very accommodating.
    You must have talked with the right person because when I called Brownells they said they couldn't get them.

Let me know what your experience is with Neil because mine wasn't all that great but that was ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Battling with a steel punch isn't exactly what I had in mind, though.
    If that's bad, you really don't want to see the Meprolights on my USPc after my local smith quoted me as much to install them as I'd paid for the sights.

They're on, they work, but they put up a fight getting there. Not exactly my finest home gunsmithing moment either way.

We are diminished
    Bah. If I wanted pretty, I'd shoot a 1911.

Our group has come to depend on a mill to install sights. We just took an old bit and made a sight pusher out of it and clamp the slide into the mill. It's a simple task to push the sight in using the mill arm. Sometimes a little filing is neccessary but other than that it is a smooth set-up.

I have done a few sight jobs on various H&K products, yes even p30s. I don't often install Heinie's on H&K's, but I wouldn't think it would be any different than installing the meprolight n.s.

Instead of using a steel punch try using a brass punch on the sight. It won't cause those nasty craters in the side of your sight, or potential your slide. Brush of the excess brass with a brush or solvent, I use a clp. You might have to punch it a little harder, but you wont run the risk of damaging anything.

Last I recall H&K doesn't use the same type of method like Kahr arms or Springfield Armory to install there factory sights.

As for the sights, if you are a guy that gets mad at the way the sight looks with the crater marks, which you already stated you don't care, I would use maybe some g96 or aluma blue on your sights to reduce the chance of glare created by those dents and dings.

Quote Originally Posted by Makso9 View Post
    Instead of using a steel punch try using a brass punch on the sight.
    I actually knew that. I just already had a steel punch set and was too impatient to order brass punches.

User Tag List