Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USSOCOM Safety Message for EOTech Sights

Site Supporter

USSOCOM Safety Message for EOTech Sights

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/09/30...ystems-eotech/

While there is a great deal of information in the SOUM, two glaring issues stick out. The first is the reliability of the HWS in extreme temperatures, referred to as “Thermal Drift”. The PMO has noted a +/- 4 MOA shift at -40 Deg F and 122 Deg F. Second, is the concern over the claim by EOTech that their HWS are parallax free which was the subject of a previous Safety of Use Message from the same office issued 16 March, 2015. In this case they noted between 4 and 6 MOA parallax error depending on temperature conditions. Despite the PMO working with EOTech to rectify the issues, they still have not been resolved.
    EOTech Updates User Manuals
    EOTech seems to have officially backed off their previous claims regarding operational temperature ranges as well as parallax free attributes. Upon investigation, we noted that EOTech had changed the public specs for their HWS. Specifically, they published new manuals in June, 2015 which are available from the individual product listing pages on their website.
    We've experienced issues with our agency EO-techs for some time. Not all of them but enough that i'm eagerly awaiting our new H-1's.

Eotechs have always sucked, and have always had issues. None of these problems are new. Glad they are finally doing something about it.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Can someone summarize why EOTechs have been so popular amongst high-end end users, despite the fact that they seem to be near-universally loathed? Is it just the price, or...?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Can someone summarize why EOTechs have been so popular amongst high-end end users, despite the fact that they seem to be near-universally loathed? Is it just the price, or...?
    • It's issued (so it's free!), and most guys don't really know better.
    • The reticle is fast, accurate, and pretty versatile (use the bottom hash of the 65 MOA circle for CQB distances, center 1 MOA dot for longer range shots, or so I've always been told).
    • It's made in the good ole You Ess of Ayy.
    • Larger FOV.
    • There is a factory FDE option.

Also note that some of the detriments of the EoTech family, like battery-life and long-term durability, aren't as big an issue for the guys issued them, since they have batteries for free and can usually swap in a new sight if one goes tits up.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-30-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Every one of the handful of the Iraq and AFG SF combat vets I personally know say "whatever" regarding its warts and prefer the EOT above all other. None of them operated in -40 AFAIK. But they mostly say they liked it for its speed regardless of contorted body position.

One said he'd just put a new set of batteries in every day for a spell in Iraq as his favorite started using up its batteries fast. He didn't care.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-30-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Every one of the handful of the Iraq and AFG SF combat vets I personally know say "whatever" regarding its warts and prefer the EOT above all other. None of them operated in -40 or 122 AFAIK. But they mostly say they liked it for its speed regardless of contorted body position.

One said he'd just put a new set of batteries in every day for a spell in Iraq as his favorite started using up its batteries fast. He didn't care.
    I know one on here that is not a fan
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I know one on here that is not a fan
    Yes I've seen FredM share his status about those. I get that they have shortcomings and not everyone is a fan. But they sure have their fans.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Eotechs have always sucked, and have always had issues. None of these problems are new. Glad they are finally doing something about it.
    I had an EOtech way back when I first got in tbe game, didnt even put 1000 rounds through the rifle before it gave me issues, noped out of it real quick.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Love the reticle, hate everything else about it.

Unless there's another ice age, thermal drift at -40 is never going to be a problem for me. I'm not really an EOTech fan, but I like the 1 minute dot/circle reticle. I preferred the original Holosight.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List