Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Sentinel MkIII blade + trainer + sheath - group buy

Did everyone get their blades?

I just received the next version of the knife yesterday. A big improvement over the first one in terms of design. Some pics and then a little more detail.Name:  20160120_184705.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  52.1 KBName:  20160120_185209.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  26.0 KBName:  20160120_185521.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  27.2 KB

Top pic shows the original with the new one. New one on top.

Second pic shows a small Halloran Pikal in the middle. This is a shorter version of the Pikal that I designed and that Tom Halloran makes. Note how wide and beefy the handle appears compared to the other two. I prefer a solid grip on the knife. Please note that I stole heavily from Southnarc's designs, and spoke to him before I went ahead with the knife.

Third pic shows a prototype pikal that I designed before the Halloran and was made by another maker. Note that though the grip shape is pretty different, it is also big and beefy.

Anyway, this new knife from Sentinel is much better. Bigger, beefier handle, better hand stop, better rat tail, much better sheath. No rust when it arrived, but it still isn't as sharp as it should be. Fit and finish is a little worse than the original knife, but again, well within what i would consider acceptable for a $150 knife.

The one problem for me is that the blade is on the wrong side.:-) Not sure what I'll do about that at this point, but I have been carrying it for the past two days, so something will need to happen. Overall, I do like it. A few small changes and it would be exactly what I prefer. It carries well, surprisingly so, because as it comes from the maker, the sheath rides pretty high. Makes for both a more difficult draw as well as an easier draw. I like it.

New one looks great. Still waiting for my first one to come from the group buy.

Quote Originally Posted by I29alpha View Post
    New one looks great. Still waiting for my first one to come from the group buy.
    Seriously? Have you contacted him? Let us know what happens. I'll send you mine if you don't get yours.

Very generous of you. I have been in contact with him and we are trying to work it out. He says the tracking said it was delivered but I haven't seen anything yet. I'm hoping it didn't get snatched from the porch (small town, house set way back from the road). We've exchanged a few emails but I haven't heard back from him since last week. I'm sure it'll all end well. Thank you very much for the offer as well, greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I just received the next version of the knife yesterday. A big improvement over the first one in terms of design. Some pics and then a little more detail.Name:  20160120_184705.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  52.1 KBName:  20160120_185209.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  26.0 KBName:  20160120_185521.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  27.2 KB

Top pic shows the original with the new one. New one on top.

Second pic shows a small Halloran Pikal in the middle. This is a shorter version of the Pikal that I designed and that Tom Halloran makes. Note how wide and beefy the handle appears compared to the other two. I prefer a solid grip on the knife. Please note that I stole heavily from Southnarc's designs, and spoke to him before I went ahead with the knife.

Third pic shows a prototype pikal that I designed before the Halloran and was made by another maker. Note that though the grip shape is pretty different, it is also big and beefy.

Anyway, this new knife from Sentinel is much better. Bigger, beefier handle, better hand stop, better rat tail, much better sheath. No rust when it arrived, but it still isn't as sharp as it should be. Fit and finish is a little worse than the original knife, but again, well within what i would consider acceptable for a $150 knife.

The one problem for me is that the blade is on the wrong side.:-) Not sure what I'll do about that at this point, but I have been carrying it for the past two days, so something will need to happen. Overall, I do like it. A few small changes and it would be exactly what I prefer. It carries well, surprisingly so, because as it comes from the maker, the sheath rides pretty high. Makes for both a more difficult draw as well as an easier draw. I like it.
    Thanks for writing this - glad you like this one better. When you say the blade is on the wrong side, are you referring to the chisel grind being left sided, or that it isn't a pkal blade? Additionally, you an adjust the height of the clip with the other rivet holes. I'm not sure if you tried that to adjust the ride height. I like mine to run a little high, but there should be room to adjust.

Let
    www.sentinelconcealmentgear.com

Matt, can you please reply to my PM and email that I sent.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SentinelGear View Post
    Thanks for writing this - glad you like this one better. When you say the blade is on the wrong side, are you referring to the chisel grind being left sided, or that it isn't a pkal blade? Additionally, you an adjust the height of the clip with the other rivet holes. I'm not sure if you tried that to adjust the ride height. I like mine to run a little high, but there should be room to adjust.

Let
    I meant "wrong" in that it isn't a pikal. As far as the height, as I said, I thought it was too high but it works well and I like it. I certainly saw the adjustability of it, I just don't actually want to change the height at this point. I'm on the road, but will respond to your email when I get a few more minutes.

User Tag List