Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Glock distrust...

Like many, my initial introduction to GLOCK was through the media, discussing the "Glock 7" that would go through x-ray machines undetected. At the time, I'd been carrying a Sig P226, because that's what the SEALs carried - it had to be good! But, at the same time, I was finding the P226 to be heavy, and prone to rust (I was living/carrying in WA state at the time). A fellow Infantry officer brought his "toy gun" (G17) to one of our range dates, and I was pleasantly surprised with the capacity, weight, and general shootability. When, in 1998, the LGS that ate a huge chunk of my take home pay got G19s, I bought one of the first one in the state, and started carrying/shooting it.

But, I wasn't ready to go whole hog. The trigger sucked (compared to the Sigs, Berettas, and 1911s I was used to). It "felt" cheap, and "pointed wrong." It couldn't compare in shootability and accuracy to the 1911s I was inclined towards at the time. I sold the G19, bought a series of other pistols, looking for "the one;" but always ended up back with that pesky G19. I was eventually "issued my first divorce" and transferred to AZ, toting a Colt 1911 the whole trip. Once I got down there, I got into competition shooting at the local level in a BIG way - and IMMEDIATELY found out that my beloved Colt wouldn't feed FMJ reliably when introduced to the tiniest amount of grit, and that loading 7-round magazines into a skinny magazine well sucked. Somehow I ended up with a G22 (because you know 9mm isn't enough to knock down steel), and I proceeded to shoot about 100K rounds, almost ALL hand-load lead flat points, through that pistol over the course of 18 months. And, since AZ was Open Carry only then, the size of the G22 didn't bother me.

Next was a move to TX, back in the bad old days before legal CCW, but when concealed carry while "traveling" was OK. The G22 was too big for that application, but the G23 was "just right," and we all KNEW the 9mm was a popgun for wussies, while the .40 S&W JHP was a tiny little model of Mjolnir. Right up until the day when I found out that hot handloads and early-model G23s don't mix - resulting in a destroyed magazine, a magazine release that flat disappeared, and a stingy-ouchy hand. Obvious fix - get the new HK USP.

THAT lasted about three months, at which point I traded the HK off on a P228, which I traded off in about a month for another G23. Which I happily carried for years, on legal CHLs, until I got out of the Army and into Federal LE. At which point the availability of FREE 9mm brought me back to the G19 (off duty only at my first "Sig only" agency, and later both on and off duty when Glocks became authorized and approved).

And now, here I am, 27 years later, with a Gen4 G19 on my hip, and STILL looking for the "next great gun" that will (unsuccessfully) turn my attention away from the ugly duckling that just flat WORKS.

I'd like to say I'm older and wiser, but, clearly, I'm just older...
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 09-29-2015 at 11:32 AM.

LSP this post should be in a magazine somewhere.

I wasn't old enough to buy a firearm when Glocks hit the market. I remember a news story on NBC nightly news about this new plastic firearm that was going to ruin the world and kill everyone in sight of it. This new plastic Glock could be snuck past any and all security because it was, you know, plastic.

Luckily I had family members that were able and willing to make sure news stories like that didn't stick with me.

Sent from my grey matter using telepathy.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Very cool thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hated Glocks with at least a mild passion. Their trigger felt like something on a caulking gun, the grip angle was wrong and besides--.45's. (Which is what us old service types called the 1911). I bought a G19, but barely shot it. Tried other things but eventually went back to the 19, put it through some hard tests, and after 10,000 rounds without a problem (admittedly, I kept it cleaned with a small amount of lube) realized that I'd never had a pistol like this before. So I bought a G17 which worked equally well.

I can't love Glocks. And all good handguns are compromises. But the 9mm Glocks might be the best overall compromise anyone has made to date.

When I went through the Academy we were issued revolvers. After you passed FTO and got off probation you could purchase a SIG, go through a two day transition school, and carry a SIG on duty. I initially went through the school with a 220. I later purchased a 228 and carried that.

Then, as an agency, we tested several different semi autos for a duty weapon. The range had them to shoot which included SIGs, Glocks, and boat anchor S&Ws. Officers voted on which gun they wanted as a duty weapon. The SIGs won hands down, followed by Glocks, and then Smiths. Not unsurprising the Captain in charge, completely disregarded the evaluations and voting, decided we would get Smiths. If you were carrying a SIG you were grandfathered as were Officers with revolvers who wanted to stick with them. During this period I purchased a Glock 23 and began shooting it a lot.

Fast forward to a legal advisor who believed DA/SA autos were evil and pushed the agenda for DOA. We were issued Glocks. If you wanted to carry your personal SIG it had to be converted to DOA. I took a Glock and have been carrying them since.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 09-29-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Fix stuff
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Your post makes me feel old Steve...

My 1st Glock was a 2nd gen 17 that I bought just because. I shot it a couple of times then stuck in the safe and forgot about it. I felt unclean, like working hookers in New Orleans unclean. At some point, it was traded for some other toy that went bang. I soldiered on with SIGs, starting with 226s, then 220s and back to 226s for big guns and 225s for off-duty.

All was well until I fired SIG over a 226 that wouldn't keep the breach block in the slide without walking the HD pins every 200 rounds. This was a new gun, purchased through a law enforcement dealer in the late 90s. SIG's response was the gun needed either a new breach block or a slide........which they would be happy to sell me, the original owner and SIG armorer.

I was pissed and went out the next day an bought a new 3rd gen 17. I also MF-ed SIG every chance I got for years and sold every SIG I owned (stupid I know). My issue SIG P220 sat in the box, unused. The G17 morphed to a G34 and I was quite happy carrying Glock for many years.

About 2006 I purchased a CPO 226 for nostalgia and started shooting it a bit. Within a few hundred rounds, I was shooting it as well as ever, reconnecting with my inner SIG self. I purchased a new 226R and retired from LSP in 2008 with a 226 in my holster. The 226, for me, is the most naturally shooting pistol I've every carried.

Now, while I still have and shoot my SIGs, I am pretty much back to carrying Glocks all the time. I love SIGs, and shoot them pretty well. However, the lighter weight, scalable platform sizes, combined with an old injury/arthritis in my strong hand/trigger finger, have basically made Glocks my old man guns. If I could only have one pistol, it would be a G17.
    Last edited by LSP552; 09-29-2015 at 08:35 PM. Reason: auto correct sucks..

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post

My 1st Glock was a 2nd gen 17 that I bought just because. I shot it a couple of times then stuck in the safe and forgot about it. I felt unclean, like working hookers in New Orleans unclean.
    I've been to New Orleans...I don't think even a Hi-Point could make me feel THAT unclean.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post

That's because we ARE old.

I hear you regarding our "inner Sig self". I re-connected with mine... briefly... last year with a P229 Scorpion. Really nice piece, shot fabulously, but in the end its bulk and weight became more than I wanted to deal with.

I don't like Glocks... never did, really. But I'm astute enough to recognize that they are probably the best compromise, when all things are considered. That said, I'm going to keep carrying/shooting my HKs. Though the Bowie G19s are measurably smaller and lighter than the HK45C/P30/USPc 9mm, it isn't THAT much of a difference. And I don't have the wardrobe concerns you do; IOW, I can dress comfortably around the guns and not be concerned that I look like what I am... a FROG (Fat Retired Old Guy).

As for my wife... she resisted giving up her G19 and G26. Not because of any particular devotion to them, but because she don't like change either. But I got her hooked on the P2000... and when she picked up a P30, that was it. The girl has a .40 P30 and two extra magazines with her at all times. But she IS a woman, after all; which means a new purse every so often. We make an adventure out of new purse shopping; lurking furtively in the shadows of the purse department at Macy's, Dillard's etc., slipping the P30 in and out of various offerings, trying for fit and easy access.

You guys think selecting a holster can be difficult? Go purse shopping with a gun-savvy woman, and you'll discover the true meaning of the word difficult. But its actually kinda-sorta fun...

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I've been to New Orleans...I don't think even a Hi-Point could make me feel THAT unclean.
    Get a crome plated Hi-Point...

As I sit here and type this with a Glock 19 on my hip. I don't want to think of the money, time and effort I have spent trying to find that special gun that can take me away form my Glock 19. It truly is a "love-hate relationship".
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 09-30-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Or the ever-popular green Dura-Coat model.

The Firearms Section folks chipped in for one of those as a congratulatory gag present for a colleague when he graduated from NFEA. He actually uses it for a truck gun; sucker works fine with ball ammo.

User Tag List