Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Early Glock distrust...

Quote Originally Posted by 0119 View Post
    Did then, still do. Bought one, no thanks glad its long long gone. Plastics not the problem, like my FN's. Striker fire is a problem, maybe I'll eventually think its o.k. maybe. The distrust is gluck. Why would anyone with common sense ever consider a gun designed by an appliance maker with no experience making/designing firearms. A range toy at best.
    Just a hunch, but maybe it has something to do with a 25+ year track record of reliable success in a product? Or maybe, just maybe it is the direct result of MILLIONS and MILLIONS of units scattered throughout the world with great success. Or maybe millions and millions of people know something you don't.

The typical american is....cheap. Cheap will always win with us. Even if we have to replace frequently. Just like the law enforcement agencies who have to replace their glucks every 5 years as gluck recommends them to do. A 5 year service live, some gun!
    Care to provide a reputable source for your claims?

I don't seem to have the level of experience you have when it comes to Glock's. I've only been an armorer for 20 years. I've only inspected thousands of guns. I have only trained and qualified thousands of cops using Glocks.

Did then, still do. Bought one, no thanks glad its long long gone. Plastics not the problem, like my FN's. Striker fire is a problem, maybe I'll eventually think its o.k. maybe. The distrust is gluck. Why would anyone with common sense ever consider a gun designed by an appliance maker with no experience making/designing firearms. A range toy at best.
    Your responses on this thread are totally out of kilter with other very experienced users and participants on this forum. While I'm not a Moderator, I'd suggest that that you take a hard look at the experience and substance of other participants here. Since you've only been a member here since August, we'd also appreciate you sharing your experience and credentials to provide us with a background with which to assess the validity of your comments. This is not your run of the mill "fanboi" forum here.

Best, Jon

The typical american is....cheap. Cheap will always win with us. Even if we have to replace frequently. Just like the law enforcement agencies who have to replace their glucks every 5 years as gluck recommends them to do. A 5 year service live, some gun!
    I'm cheap, in part because money comes dear. But this board isn't filled with cheap people like me--a lot of the folks here have spent large sums on handguns and while many like HK's or SIGS or 1911's better, very few of them agree with your view of the Glock. Even those who really dislike it will agree that it is a remarkable handgun. Given that many of them are top-notch shooters that might tell you something.

As for me, I'm getting old, my vision is slowly going and my arthritis is getting worse. But I've been shooting since the mid-60's and while I'm not a great shot like so many people here, I've put a lot of rounds through handguns and my view is that the 9mm Glocks are the best overall, do-everything design out there. They might not fit your needs, but it is a truly great handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I'm cheap, in part because money comes dear. But this board isn't filled with cheap people like me--a lot of the folks here have spent large sums on handguns and while many like HK's or SIGS or 1911's better, very few of them agree with your view of the Glock. Even those who really dislike it will agree that it is a remarkable handgun. Given that many of them are top-notch shooters that might tell you something.

As for me, I'm getting old, my vision is slowly going and my arthritis is getting worse. But I've been shooting since the mid-60's and while I'm not a great shot like so many people here, I've put a lot of rounds through handguns and my view is that the 9mm Glocks are the best overall, do-everything design out there. They might not fit your needs, but it is a truly great handgun.
    I agree, and your second paragraph described me.

I'm an LE guy that has carried S&W (3rd Gen, SW99, M&P), Sigs, 1911's, and Glocks. I have the luxury of working for an agency with a very liberal firearms policy and huge amount of support/training compared to some departments. I've been a department armorer for twelve years and am currently a firearms instructor and on the committee that makes choices regarding our guns and how they're deployed.

I currently carry a Glock 17 (older Gen3) for everything.

My experience in the matter basically mimic Jeff's, so I'll link his article here:
    http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...-glock-why-9mm

My last service gun was a several thousand dollar custom Colt 1911. It worked flawlessly (and still does). I absolutely love it and based on emotion was very hesitant to stop carrying it. I put a little over 25,000 rounds through it in a five year period. It is a magnificent gun, but when it comes right down to it, the Glock 9mm is lighter, holds twice as many rounds, is much less intensive and cheaper to service, and I shoot it just as well. I also don't worry as much about detail stripping it after being out in the elements. It doesn’t have the same panache as my 1911 did, but at this point in my career and life I really don’t care.

People get wrapped around the axle about why Glock is so successful in law enforcement and having been in the industry for a bit I’ll sum it up like this: They simply offer the best product, at the best price, with the most factory support.

No, Glocks are not perfect and they have certainly had issues like the whole debacle with WML’s on G22’s. The thing about Glock is that by in large they are responsive. If a department starts having issues a phone call to a factory rep usually ends up with them responding personally to the department to try and handle the issue within the next couple days. They have enough reps to go around and generally they provide excellent customer service. When it comes time to swap out current guns for new ones (whether the department has a five or ten year policy like many do) they offer buy-back through distributors and make the swap pretty seamless and cost-effective.

My department is a S&W agency and has basically been for the past century (and I don’t see it ever changing). I won’t bad-mouth S&W as their product and service is closely behind Glocks, but it isn’t quite there. They don’t have quite the number or reps and their rep’s support from the factory isn’t quite the same as Glock’s. Sigs are great guns, but they go through factory LE reps at an incredible pace and the service varies region-to-region. Glock’s is great across the board.
    Last edited by KevH; 10-09-2015 at 10:48 AM.

You literally do not know what you are talking about nor can you back it with citable data. Please consider learning more.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    They have enough reps to go around and generally they provide excellent customer service
    Your whole post is excellent, but I wanted to quote and agree with this part. In my area, many of us have personally met the Glock Reps, and more importantly, they exist, we can call them, and they can help us with any of the parts/service we need. A lot of us shoot Glocks and it's extremely convenient to do so, partly because of the support available from the Reps and factory. If another type of gun has a problem, help will be much harder to come by. I have heard there is an S&W Rep in the area, but have never met him. I haven't even heard of the existence of any other factory rep that physically exists here. Glock support is a phone call away for us.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I hate Glocks for varied reasons.

But I shoot them consistently well (for my level of skill).

Mine go bang whenever I want them to. They are easily serviced, tuned or modified to my liking. Parts are cheap. Mags are cheap. Accessories are everywhere.

Seriously... Aside from hating them, what's not to like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I think some people certainly like to hate them...they're like ugly dogs, they still love you, but part of your relationship is you telling them they fell down the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 10-14-2015 at 03:23 PM.

User Tag List