Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LCR in .38 Special or .357 Magnum?

Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin View Post
    Actually, you are completely correct. This was a raging subject on RugerForum, with the contenders being a bunch of SP101 users who were arguing over which was better for CCW'ing .357 magnum loads, the 3 1/16" or the 2 1/8". After a bunch of testing was done it was determined that a .357 fired out of the 2" or less barrel offered less acceptable ballistics out of the shorter barrel than .38's out of the same. 3 1/16" SP101 was discovered to be the bare minimum acceptable for .357 magnum usage, and then only really with the heavier 158 and 180 loads. Even with the 110's and 125's, too much propellant was escaping in barrel blast for the rounds to reach advertised velocities.

If you want a snub, get it in .38. Anything else is a waste of money.
    Long Tom,

Thanks for the insight from the Ruger discussion. What would you say then about gettng the LCR .357, but only firing .38 +P through it?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax17 View Post
    What would you say then about gettng the LCR .357, but only firing .38 +P through it?
    If you want the extra four ounces of weight, then go for it.

Apart from the extra weight, is there any reason not to get a .357 model and fire .38's from it? I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that firing .38s out of the larger .357 cylinder causes the .38's to be less effective due to gas escaping or something like that? Is there any truth to that?

Again, weight aside...

all revolvers have gas leakage after the bullet leaves the chamber and passes through the forcing cone.

the mechanical disadvantage of firing shorter cartridges through a revolver cylinder is the longer distance the bullet jumps,("Bullet Jump" being the term for uncontrolled bullet acceleration before the rifling is engaged.)

Quote Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
    all revolvers have gas leakage after the bullet leaves the chamber and passes through the forcing cone.

the mechanical disadvantage of firing shorter cartridges through a revolver cylinder is the longer distance the bullet jumps,("Bullet Jump" being the term for uncontrolled bullet acceleration before the rifling is engaged.)
    Would the "bullet jump" from a .38 round fired from a .357 cylinder cause the .38 to reach unacceptable ballistics?

No, the only realistic concern with shooting .38 out of a .357 is the buildup of combustion byproduct in the chambers ahead of where the .38 shell case ends (.38s are shorter in length than .357s). If you get a lot of this buildup (a lot), you can experience overpressure when you go to shoot .357 out of the gun again.

even this concern is more esoteric than real, but it's good policy to shoot 357s first if you practice with both, and to clean the cylinders after firing .38.

If you only shoot .38 out of a .357, you can ignore all this... but clean your gun anyway, because it loves you!

Sounds good, thanks for the advice everybody! Think I'm going with the .357 model.

I put a cylinder-full through a .357, and can't imagine the abuse on the receiving end is much worse that what the shooter experiences. I'd rather have a .38 and actually shoot the thing for practice, than have a .357 that I never want to shoot.

Color me obtuse, but given the above discssion, and DocGKR's very detailed link, If I wanted a lightweight, fielded, effective BUG, I'd personally choose one of the Glock subcompacts-probably the G26 in 9mm, or, if I wanted closet to .357 Magnum performance, I'd go with using something like Winchester 127gr +P+ cartridges in the G26, or by going with a G33 in .357 SIG.

I'm no expert, but I believe that tests have demonstrated significant issues arising with the ultra-lightweight S&W snubs, along the lines of the transmitted recoil impulse wrenching bullets from the cartridge casing, essentially tying up the gun after the first round.

Don't get me wrong; I like revolvers, but my interest level is for those with 3-4 inch barrels, and I'm unlikely to prefer a revolver for back-up use. As an earlier poster recommended, I think it makes a tremendous amount of sense to stick with the same platform for both primary and back-up guns.

Best, Jon

User Tag List