Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had to CC a .22 snub nose...

Site Supporter

If you had to CC a .22 snub nose...

...which would you choose if given a choice between the Smith and Wesson 317 (1.875"), the Smith and Wesson 43 C, and the new Ruger LCR-22?

Also, what is the reasoning behind your selection?

(I understand that a .22 revolver is a very poor choice for self defense; I'm just trying to get educated answers to this specific question.)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Le Français; 12-16-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Why? (my message is too short)
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    Just out of curiosity (a somewhat trivial motivation, admittedly). This seems like a good place to get educated opinions.

If I had to carry a .22 snub it would be the Charter Arms Pathfinder three-inch that is already on hand.
    Shoots well and handles several types of .22 shells OK.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm not sure I'd trust an old 43 for CCW. Between doubts about how well the old alloy cylinder would hold up to modern hyper-velocity .22 ammo (and If for some reason I had to carry a rimfire, it'd have Velocitors or Stingers or suchlike in it...) and the fact that old S&W rimfire chambers are invariably tighter than Dick's hatband, which can make for sticky extraction, I believe I'd have to pass on carrying one.

The 317's have uniformly wretched triggers that can't be lightened much without compromising ignition reliability (which would be made even worse when I bobbed the hammer spur for CCW) so I guess that leaves the Ruger (*ptui!*) by default.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The efficacy of .22 in a self defense role

I know an extremely well known and respected instructor that carries a Smith .22 magnum J frame as a font pocket back-up -- believe it is a model 351. He is a put it in the eye socket kind of guy and likes the extra two cartridges.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 12-23-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: put this post back into it's original thread so that GJM can have a Merry Christmas. :-)

IME, the S&W M63 (8 shot) is rapidly proving to be a great little J frame. I don't have a lot of rounds through it, but the trigger is very nice* and accuracy is better than I can hold.

* I shot 150 plus rounds the day after I purchased the M63 as I thought the trigger may have been too light. I'm a bit shy of 500 rounds so far.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm not sure I'd trust an old 43 for CCW. Between doubts about how well the old alloy cylinder would hold up to modern hyper-velocity .22 ammo (and If for some reason I had to carry a rimfire, it'd have Velocitors or Stingers or suchlike in it...) and the fact that old S&W rimfire chambers are invariably tighter than Dick's hatband, which can make for sticky extraction, I believe I'd have to pass on carrying one.

The 317's have uniformly wretched triggers that can't be lightened much without compromising ignition reliability (which would be made even worse when I bobbed the hammer spur for CCW) so I guess that leaves the Ruger (*ptui!*) by default.
    This is the 43 C I'm referring to. Is it really that old? http://www.budspolicesupply.com/cata...ducts_id/10718

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    This is the 43 C I'm referring to. Is it really that old? http://www.budspolicesupply.com/cata...ducts_id/10718
    Whoah! I had no idea they'd revived that catalog number!

The O.G. Model 43 was an alloy-frame/alloy-cylinder Airweight version of the regular Model 34 Kit Gun made from '54-'75.

Now that they've brought it back as a Centennial, I need to get one as a trainer for my 432PD and just try and learn to live with the buck wretched trigger.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Seriously. If that revolver has a trigger like my 63, it will be good to go.

User Tag List