Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for Conceal Carrier ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I'm 99% sure you aren't a lawyer, and neither am I - but you should really consider the case of Varg Freeborn of Youngstown, OH and what he went through after a self defense case where his assailant admitted literally hunting Varg down. I have no faith in the courts to do anything in my favor from the get go, might be wise to do the same.
    Mr. freeborn is not really the best example. Although I am glad he has turned his life around, by his own admission he was an active participant in the criminal lifestyle. At best he was an extremely unsympathetic defendant at worst his case was self-defense in only the most technical sense.

Site Supporter
    Agreed, but the point of relying on courts to side with you, even in light of confession, was what I was trying to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My state has indemnification for civil liability in cases where it is determined that the defensive action was justified.

Guess what? I still opted to have liability coverage. I didn't work my whole life to risk throwing it all out the window for the annual cost of coverage.
    And what about if I were traveling out of state when the event arose? I'll happily spend a few hundred to know that all of my legal costs, and up to a million in civil judgments are covered...plus up to a million for bond.
    Your attorney isn't going to go to you, that's a given. Next best is an attorney that is local who is capable to represent you. That's what you pay for when you travel. A few hundred a year is cheap compared to trying to find an attorney to represent you 3 states away from home.

I used to winter in AZ/NM. I live in WA. I carried where I could and stashed a pistol when I couldn't. You can bet your ass I had a policy with a company that provided an attorney where I happened to be. I don't travel anymore but I still have the ins.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Domino Effect?

Things are not looking good on the legal plan front according to this blog post from Andrew Branca:

There’s BAD news this week for so-called self-defense “insurance” programs, but also GOOD news for all of you looking for some extra protection in the legal fight that follows your winning the physical battle of self-defense.

This week I learned that CCW Safe, a long-time and continuing Law of Self Defense partner and a leading provider of legal service memberships has been compelled to stop offering membership plans in New York and New Jersey. In fact, they won’t even be able to cover members from other states who might be compelled to defend themselves in New York and New Jersey.

Until now, CCW Safe has been one of the last of these programs still providing coverage in all 50 states. Sadly, now even they are being forced to step back from states that falsely describe these perfectly legitimate programs as “murder insurance.” CCW Safe competitor USCCA has also been compelled to exit these states, and of course these kinds of anti-self-defense efforts contributed to the utter demise of the NRA’s Carry Guard Program. Worse, it seems more likely that additional states will prohibit such programs than it does that states like New York and New Jersey will reverse their prohibitions.
    Last edited by blues; 12-13-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Ah, yet another reason to never visit NYNJ. Too bad my employer is based there.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Ah, yet another reason to never visit NYNJ. Too bad my employer is based there.
    How in the world can it be deemed to be illegal to join with others to pre-pay for legal defense services if one is charged in the wake of an act of self-defense?

If everyone is entitled to their day in court, why do they want to ensure that one can't afford a good defense? (Answer is becoming more and more obvious by the day.)

I honestly don't see how this can stand up to any judicial scrutiny. It doesn't prevent the government from charging an individual. All it accomplishes is making sure an individual becomes destitute in the course of trying to defend oneself from unwarranted charges.

How is it different from any other "mutual" business where individuals join together to create a pool of funds for their collective benefit.

I think it's time to seriously consider dividing the country into halves. One that wants and enjoys freedom, and one that would rather take its marching orders from the government.

I'm happy to move if we can make it so. I don't want to fight a civil war, just treat them like distant relatives that we prefer not to spend the holidays with.

(Of course other splinter groups will want their own section of the pie.)
    Last edited by blues; 12-13-2019 at 01:10 PM.

I have a membership in the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, which has a different approach than insurance. Maybe that's a way to circumvent these rulings in anti-self-defense states?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have a membership in the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, which has a different approach than insurance. Maybe that's a way to circumvent these rulings in anti-self-defense states?
    CCW Safe specifically states they are not an insurance product. (I'm a former ACLDN member.)

In any case, it's not indemnifying anyone against wrongdoing. Prison time is prison time and civil liabilities still need to be paid.

It's no different than any other insidious ploy to remove firearms and ammunition from availability to law abiding citizens, only this one attempts to threaten them with financial ruin if they need to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    CCW Safe specifically states they are not an insurance product. (I'm a former ACLDN member.)

In any case, it's not indemnifying anyone against wrongdoing. Prison time is prison time and civil liabilities still need to be paid.

It's no different than any other insidious ploy to remove firearms and ammunition from availability to law abiding citizens, only this one attempts to threaten them with financial ruin if they need to defend themselves.
    This is seriously fucked up. Although not surprising.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Will NY & NJ outaw auto insurance that covers accidents when speeding, driving recklessly, or under the influence? Or how about homeowners insurance that covers people who leave ice on their walkways or fail to lock the gate around their pool? And what about malpractice insurance?

User Tag List