Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance for Conceal Carrier ?

Insurance for Conceal Carrier ?

Hello Guys,
    I live in Illinois and recently got my conceal carry license and want to start carrying full time.

My question is what type of insurance should i get that covers legal fees, etc... in case i need to use my firearm ?

Thanks

It's not "insurance" per se, but http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/ is the organization in which I place my confidence. Membership in it was recommended to me by Massad Ayoob.
    Last edited by Wendell; 09-28-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Spend that money on a training class, range time and practice ammo.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not an insurance rep, check local listings, etc. etc.

Instead of specific insurance, I'd take a look at an umbrella policy if I were worried about liability. Umbrella policies will cover your liability over and above caps on auto, home owner, and things not covered by other policies. It's usually pretty cheap on its own, but you must carry maximum liability on your other policies which can increase the cost more than just the policy dues.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Spend that money on a training class, range time and practice ammo.
    Dumb answer to a very legitimate question. Nothing you suggest he do is going to help mitigate the high likelyhood that he will need to pay for a lawyer if he shoots someone.

And depending on where in Illinois he is, the likelyhood that he'll need to pay for legal counsel AND make bail after a shooting can be right at 100%

I'm surprised this topic is not covered more, I thought that there would be a ton of resources.

So far I've got:
    1. NRA insurance
    2. Armed Citizen Network
    3. USCCA

Did anyone actually had to use any of those ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Dumb answer to a very legitimate question.
    You need to work on your interpersonal skills a bit more.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Nothing you suggest he do is going to help mitigate the high likelyhood that he will need to pay for a lawyer if he shoots someone.
    What's the likelihood he'll need to use his weapon?
    Given the very low odds, is it better to toss away "insurance" money or "invest" that money into some training (including use of force LAW training) in case the day ever comes?

Guess which I recommend.

If your budget is unlimited, insure your heart out.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 09-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    What's the likelihood he'll need to use his weapon?
    Given the very low odds, is it better to toss away "insurance" money or "invest" that money into some training (including use of force LAW training) in case the day ever comes?

Guess which I recommend.

If your budget is unlimited, insure your heart out.
    It's not the odds, it's the stakes. Same reason we carry the weapon in the first place. If I didn't have FOP, I'd have someone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's not the odds, it's the stakes. Same reason we carry the weapon in the first place. If I didn't have FOP, I'd have someone.
    I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll comment once further and quit....

IMO, if I had to choose between insurance and taking a good class on when it's legal to use what level of force in my locale, I'll choose reducing my liability exposure by increasing my skills rather than by tossing away money on a lottery I'm hoping to never win.

And I'll second the suggestion of checking on the cost of an umbrella policy. My umbrella excludes liability arising from my doing anything illegal (so knowing the law mitigates the risk), but otherwise covers acts of self defense. Of course, that's just personal liability, not necessarily legal defense costs.

Peace.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 09-28-2015 at 05:12 PM.

User Tag List