Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If not a side-saddle, then how? (Sort of split from 870 setup thread)

If not a side-saddle, then how? (Sort of split from 870 setup thread)

So I have a 14" Benelli M1 SBS, but I think the idea largely remains the same:

So many in the 870 thread seem to be against the side saddle. So then how are you reloading/administering your shotgun? I'm thinking specifically in the instance of home defense because outside the house I think the rifle is the clear winner. My M1 holds 7 rounds if chambered and ghost loaded. I keep it loaded with the Federal LE 1321B load as recommended by DocGKR. Hopefully that should be enough to end a home invasion threat, but if not and/or if I decided I wanted a slug instead, how do you recommend loading the gun if not from a side saddle? Or, is it just assumed that if the fight lasts longer than the capacity of the shotgun that you should retreat and retrieve a rifle? Assuming that for home defense it's unlikely that I'll be wearing pants/belt/shell caddies.

Thanks in advance!

(gratuitous pic of my shotgun)
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Most of the "no side saddle" theory I see tends to be towards the "you won't need a reload in a shooting anyway" side of things. Having no relevant experience, I can't say I disagree. But, in the event I take my shotgun on the road, I like the ability to have some alternate ammo selections on the gun, and so the velcro-style side saddles appeal to me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My first question would be, can you find me a home invasion that wasn't resolved one way or the other in 7 rounds or less. I'd say it's rarer than Powerball winners. Much rarer.

I think you'll find the objection most have to side saddles is the "snagability" of them. I keep a shoulder holster slung over my headboard at night. My pistol, spare ammo, and flashlight is there. I can throw it on quick, don't need pants (nude gun fight for the win!), etc. If I were really concerned about spare shotgun ammo, I'd probably figure out a way to have a vest handy with reloads on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If I were really concerned about spare shotgun ammo, I'd probably figure out a way to have a vest handy with reloads on it.
    Naked wearing a bandolier of shotgun shells!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

If you're not going to have spare ammo on the gun, set a box of ammo with the gun on your nightstand.

Shoot one, load one.

Run out of ammo, you ought to have a handgun close by, right?

I mean really... What home invader(s) want to get into a prolonged shotgun fight at close range... Especially when you can aim at the door and blast anything coming through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

If the extra ammo is not on your person or on the gun at the start of the event, it probably won't be of any use to you. A seven round Esstac cut in half will give you two 3-round saddles that are great for slugs. If you're serious about the switching to a slug thing, ghost loading makes things more complicated than they needs to be IMO.

Whatever you use, I would find something better than a box of shells laying around, something that index the bases. If it gets that bad, loading a shell backwards will really screw things up.

Not every M1 will run reliably with a Surefire Forend and a Sidesaddle.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/colle...12ga-micro-rig

Set it up with one strap as a bandoleer style instead of chest rig style.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    If the extra ammo is not on your person or on the gun at the start of the event, it probably won't be of any use to you.
    Exactly. These are "come-as-you-are" events, if you could go and get it, why would you come back.*

I think that Newhall is a fairly compelling argument for additional ammunition on the gun.

If I could find a "sleek" way to do it, I'd have a spare magazine on my carbine but some how I suspect that 18 rounds will probably be enough.

*Channeling Tom Givens
    Last edited by John Hearne; 09-28-2015 at 08:50 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I'm a big fan of 4 rd side saddles. 6 is just too much of a good thing, but the extra four really doesn't get in the way, ime. I prefer the tac star or Wilson's. Brass up. Slugs only. I love shotguns.

I am currently using the 5 round Ares velcro cards and like them. Brass up. Always.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

User Tag List