Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    One of the few applications where XS's Big Dot doesn't annoy the bejeezus out of me.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The XS is much easier to pick up and it'll help alleviate some of the shooting high problems that happen with the bead and pedestal. The drop in the heel of the stock is set for a barrel with a vent rib, which sits a bit higher than the bead and pedestal. A lot of folks end up patterning about 4" high at 15 yards with bead and pedestal. The big dot will add about .1" to the bead height and will help move the patterns down a couple inches.

So I'm thinking
    -xs front (cheaper than sending the gun to a smith for something else)

-gun is coming with a +2 extension but if I don't like the balance I am considering a +1 from wilson. That will be nice because it comes with new spring and high viz follower

-Gonna try out the esstac shotgun card. Pretty cheap on skd and I like purchasing from them.

-Thinking I am gonna take the plunge and get the surefire. They can be had for $240 on ebay.

-Someone is sending me a 12 lop hogue to try against the stock. If I dislike either, I may grab a magpul stock.

*this is what I am thinking but I am going to shoot the gun first and make these decisions later. Only thing I know I want for sure is a light since this will be the gun I will most likely use in a home defense scenario.

breakingtime91, I have a Surefire DFS-870 that has been mounted on a shotgun but never really "used" if you are interested. I'll PM you the price.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So I'm thinking
    -xs front (cheaper than sending the gun to a smith for something else)

-gun is coming with a +2 extension but if I don't like the balance I am considering a +1 from wilson. That will be nice because it comes with new spring and high viz follower

-Gonna try out the esstac shotgun card. Pretty cheap on skd and I like purchasing from them.

-Thinking I am gonna take the plunge and get the surefire. They can be had for $240 on ebay.

-Someone is sending me a 12 lop hogue to try against the stock. If I dislike either, I may grab a magpul stock.

*this is what I am thinking but I am going to shoot the gun first and make these decisions later. Only thing I know I want for sure is a light since this will be the gun I will most likely use in a home defense scenario.
    Some people don't like the weight and price, but for me personally I could not dream of using anything other than the surefire forend. In my experience, it is best integrated system and is so much more comfortable and user friendly to operate than sticking a WML onto a railed forend. The bulge where the light sits makes a natural shelf for your hand that makes shooting with the "push-pull" technique easier. Plus, it is very comfortable to keep the light on while cycling the action should you need to.

I thought the esstac 7-round cards were good, but a bit too long. The loop tends to get in the way and stick itself to the velcro backing. I like the 5-round Ares cards better. Brass up. Always.

Currently running a Wilson +1 extension and like the balance it provides.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Some people don't like the weight and price, but for me personally I could not dream of using anything other than the surefire forend. In my experience, it is best integrated system and is so much more comfortable and user friendly to operate than sticking a WML onto a railed forend. The bulge where the light sits makes a natural shelf for your hand that makes shooting with the "push-pull" technique easier. Plus, it is very comfortable to keep the light on while cycling the action should you need to.

I thought the esstac 7-round cards were good, but a bit too long. The loop tends to get in the way and stick itself to the velcro backing. I like the 5-round Ares cards better. Brass up. Always.

Currently running a Wilson +1 extension and like the balance it provides.
    I'd agree. I have an inforce on my patrol rifle, but it seems like it'd be a PITA to run with a pump shotgun.

Ya, I have an apl on my carbine (12 o clock) and love it but the surefire seemed like an easy choice. Thanks to someone on this forum (love this place) I bought one for a very good price. I am thinking a 5 round card will be the limit of what I want. I look forward to playing with it and decided if the +2 is where its at with the surefire forend or if something lighter may be better.

Haha this thread makes me want to get a shotgun too. Gotta wait though, since I made a deal with myself to spend a year on my CZ and put money towards range, ammo and training, and get/build an AR for my "fun budget." Next year will probably a glock or something I'd like to transition to for carry, so that means I'll be able to learn from your experiences and get a shotgun in 2 years. Are there any trainers you have your eye on that run solid shotgun classes? The only one I know of is Tom Givens, but I'm sure there are more but I'm just ignorant in this area.

I want to take a class with Nyeti, not only because of his expertise with the shot gun but also his experience hunting/taking down bad guys in the states. Tom Givens is also on my list!

It kind of strikes a friend of mine weird that I want to use a 12gauge as my primary home defense tool, especially because my experience with an M4/AR. I didn't really have a good answer for him besides that I think the shot gun is an absolutely devastating weapon, especially in the distances that will be encountered within my home. It's also good to have two long guns in the house, god forbid I have to use one and it gets locked away as evidence for awhile. Much rather have that be a gun worth $600 then my AR and it would be nice to have an AR in case the guy has friends who come back later (Thanks Chuck, that comment gave me a lot to think about)..
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 10-01-2015 at 09:35 PM.

The sky is the limit on what you can do to 870s. I disagree that you should absolutely avoid the express line like the plague, but there's a number of upgrades that should be considered absolutely necessary. The last year I've put in an above average amount of time in with a shotgun and taken a few classes (two with Chris Fry, one with Steve Moses, Tom Givens, and Steve Fisher each.)

If you've got an express, absolutely polish the chamber with a cleaning brush and fine steel wool attached to a drill, as well as replacing the MIM extractor with a machined one. There's a few springs that should be replaced too. These are very inexpensive things to replace and should be considered mandatory.

There's not a single factory follower out there that's worth a crap that I've seen. Remington, Mossberg, Beretta... All terrible. I've used S&J, GG&G, and Vang Comp. They all feed and load WAY easier and smoother. I prefer the S&J: it's bright green machined delrin... Delrin is SUPER slick, the bright green is much easier to see (easy to tell between it and a shell), and it is easy to feel the difference between it and a shell. It's cheap too, I think I paid $20 for the follower and a new spring. This should also be considered mandatory (whatever follower you choose).

A better safety on the 870 is also REALLY high on my list. You need to be safe, and taking the safety off quickly is important. I've played with the Wilson and have the Vang Comp dome safety on mine... I prefer the VC. I think it's around $15... It's a no brainer.

More ammo is good- shotguns run dry REALLY fast. Wilson and Nordic are probably the best bets for aftermarket extensions. Shell carriers are personal preference, but extra ammo is good. I prefer them on the receiver, others like them on the stock for balance. I've never had an issue with them on the receiver and its faster to load from.

I don't care for lights attached to the forend. I've tried a number of locations and setups and they all beat the hell out of my hand under recoil. At this point my preference goes to a barrel/mag tube clamp with a rail section. I'll use a scope ring to mount a handheld light with a clicky switch.

The Magpul stock is the best shotgun stock ever designed by far, and I really haven't seen anyone disagree.

At home defense, across the room distances, sights aren't that important... A bead can with, ghost rings can work, optics can work. Practice will be more important.

Regardless, invest in dummy rounds. These should be considered mandatory, especially for a pump. Practice loading and running the action. A lot. Then do some more. Brownells has a box of 25 for around $25-30. I've tried a few kinds and those are overall my favorite (they are clear and loaded with birdshot, but have a spent primer and no powder, so the are a realistic weight.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SpyderMan2k4; 10-02-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

User Tag List