Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'm a fan of the Aridus Q-DC. It's expensive, but the consistency of presentation and retention is a big thing for me. And I confess, I'm still leery of any kind of adhesive given the kind of heat I see here in southern AZ. It's also nice how the spare carriers will fit in AR mag pouches (though to be fair, so do the velcro-backed shell cards). I've not used the Vang shell cards on any of my personal guns, but I know quite a few folks who have and report good results over years of use.

The old TacStar sidesaddles work, but they tend to lose shells held hull-down especially as they age and loosen up. The Mesa sidesaddles have a similar issue when the rubber tubing starts to age and wear.
    This is exactly what I have seen also.
    Last edited by Aray; 04-12-2019 at 07:40 AM.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

The Aridus *looks* bulky as hell to me. Is it not?

I'm pretty sure I don't care about QD either, and if they made a direct-attach version maybe it'd also be less bulky?

For home use I'm fine with my Velcro (I think it turns out I have the Vang Comp version, but frankly I'm not even sure anymore). If I was a cop potentially out running around the city or wilderness I don't know that I'd have the greatest confidence in the Velcro-attach versions and might be willing to deal with the bulk of the Aridus.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The Aridus *looks* bulky as hell to me. Is it not?

I'm pretty sure I don't care about QD either, and if they made a direct-attach version maybe it'd also be less bulky?

For home use I'm fine with my Velcro (I think it turns out I have the Vang Comp version, but frankly I'm not even sure anymore). If I was a cop potentially out running around the city or wilderness I don't know that I'd have the greatest confidence in the Velcro-attach versions and might be willing to deal with the bulk of the Aridus.
    The QD-C is a bit bulkier, but not appreciably enough that it impacts handling of the weapon. It does make it a bit clunkier to Tetris into the safe with the other guns, and I would imagine it could be an issue with some cruiser storage racks, but the latter doesn't apply to me and the former is resolved by simply removing the carrier (which then makes it slimmer than a traditional sidesaddle)

I got an Aridus CROM today to mount my Crossfire. Curious to see how this thing does on a 12 gauge. I love the CROM so far, wish Brownells would’ve had the QD-C in stock too. Mesa saddle is enroute while I wait on that one, Magpul furniture will be next. I’m very tempted to try this out at JDC’s upcoming class since I’m garbage with shotguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I got an Aridus CROM today to mount my Crossfire. Curious to see how this thing does on a 12 gauge. I love the CROM so far, wish Brownells would’ve had the QD-C in stock too. Mesa saddle is enroute while I wait on that one, Magpul furniture will be next. I’m very tempted to try this out at JDC’s upcoming class since I’m garbage with shotguns.
    I had no idea those mounts existed (LINK)! I'll have to think seriously about putting my RMR on an 870 now, especially since it's not on any other gun right now. Please let us know what you think of the mount after you've shot with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I had no idea those mounts existed (LINK)! I'll have to think seriously about putting my RMR on an 870 now, especially since it's not on any other gun right now. Please let us know what you think of the mount after you've shot with it.
    If you do some Googling, there are a fair amount of promising reviews - I expect that it’ll perform perfectly. But hopefully I can get into at least a one day class and test for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've got one on my 1301:

Name:  beretta.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  108.9 KB

It's the best option for an optics mount on a shotgun going. It sits the optic at the same level as iron sights which means you can mount the gun normally and still get a solid sighting reference.
    3/15/2016

Oils and Lotions SME
    I have a CROM on an 870 with a T-1 and one on a 1301 with an RMR-1. Disclosure, I was a beta tester for both of them.

I beat these things every which way but loose, they are absolutely rock solid.

I agree with @TCinVA, there is no better mount on the market.

ETA: The RMR-1 failed short of 100 rounds. BLINK BLINK BLINK. I sent it back to Trijicon, it now has 200 rounds on the RMR without a problem, yet.
    Last edited by Aray; 04-16-2019 at 09:34 AM.

I was one of the 870/Micro CROM beta testers and thought it was an excellent mount. It fixes the issue I have with a lot of other shotgun optic mounts, in that it allows me to keep a more natural mount of the shotgun against my shoulder/cheek. Other mounts that I've used sit the optic too high, and make the shotgun feel less, well, for lack of a better term, less natural.

I also put it on the clock against some steel at 12 yards (I wanted enough distance that the sights really come into play, vs. just index-shooting up close), and ran some pairs from the low ready with the optic both on and off (using just the irons). I found a consistent improvement in both my time to first round hit, as well as splits. Now, on occasion I'd be able to get the dot on target and press off a shot before I had the gun mounted solidly, which slowed down my splits, but that went away pretty quickly as I got used to the new setup.

Photo of me AI-ing at a shotgun class a couple years back with the CROMed-out 870
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I was one of the 870/Micro CROM beta testers and thought it was an excellent mount.
    I never realized that LHS was you!

User Tag List