Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

I personally would either go with an Aridus or just plain industrial Velcro from Amazon. I have used both, and have shotguns set up both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I personally would either go with an Aridus or just plain industrial Velcro from Amazon. I have used both, and have shotguns set up both ways.
    Like Serious I’ve also used both but the Aridus setup IMO is The Answer ........ if ya got the coin & if not then go velcro.

Site Supporter
    I’ve lost shells in field use with the Velcro tabs.

We switched from Tac Stars to Mesa at work. The Mesas are a distinct improvement.

I will try an Aridus one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    What is the recommendation for left side receiver mounted shell carrier?

I was recommended the Mesa Tactical Aluminum Shell holder.

What’s the take on these?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have. Velcro one from I don’t know who. HSGI maybe? I think mine holds 6 though (a mistake imo, it’s too long)
    https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/s...v2-95SS01.html

Mine is a safe gun. If I was required to take it outside and use it for real things, I don’t think I’d trust the Velcro system.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have. Velcro one from I don’t know who. HSGI maybe? I think mine holds 6 though (a mistake imo, it’s too long)
    https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/s...v2-95SS01.html

Mine is a safe gun. If I was required to take it outside and use it for real things, I don’t think I’d trust the Velcro system.
    I started w/ the Mesa long ago & zero issues w/ it over the years.

After moving from a VC 870 to a 1301T thought I'd save an oz. or two w/ velcro BUT didn't find the juice equal to the squeeze after using velcro in a DB/HIT's class.

Coon fingered Jackdog's SG w/ the Aridus setup later in that tuneup & now have Adam's product on both of my 1301s, an easy day IMO.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 04-09-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks, guys.

All these years I had a shotgun or three just collecting dust and I think a mosquito bit me just right and I’m now “interested”.

I think they’ll be fun and of value if I ever have to defend the place.

[emoji1431][emoji1431]

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

Thanks in advance.

Either the Aridus or the Vang Comp shell cards.

I use industrial strength velcro on the receiver of my gun and then attach the Vang Comp cards. Works splendidly and holds up to all the abuse my guns go through in my practice and in class.
    3/15/2016

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Shorter length foreend on the police model as I remember.
    This minimizes interference between the fore end and a shell carrier.

There are a number of differences between the Express and Police models, let me see if I can find the old Remington document I have somewhere.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Oils and Lotions SME
    From Remington: (note, it references Ilion NY as the build location, showing the age of this info)

The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market. It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality. All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences. It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models. Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.

While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police. To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance.

Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive triggerpull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express modelis longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tubewithout physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.
    Last edited by Aray; 04-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Thanks in advance.

I'm a fan of the Aridus Q-DC. It's expensive, but the consistency of presentation and retention is a big thing for me. And I confess, I'm still leery of any kind of adhesive given the kind of heat I see here in southern AZ. It's also nice how the spare carriers will fit in AR mag pouches (though to be fair, so do the velcro-backed shell cards). I've not used the Vang shell cards on any of my personal guns, but I know quite a few folks who have and report good results over years of use.

The old TacStar sidesaddles work, but they tend to lose shells held hull-down especially as they age and loosen up. The Mesa sidesaddles have a similar issue when the rubber tubing starts to age and wear.

User Tag List