Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

I like the looks of the Inforce rifle lights for shotgun use. Anyone have experience with those?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I like the looks of the Inforce rifle lights for shotgun use. Anyone have experience with those?
    A friend of mine has one on his carbine and we have both been impressed. Where would you run it on the forend? I really like the looks of the surefire forend but its pricey..

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    A friend of mine has one on his carbine and we have both been impressed. Where would you run it on the forend? I really like the looks of the surefire forend but its pricey..
    I haven't tried it but I would think if you installed one of those CDM Gear BMT Clamps like in the shotgunworld thread link, you could mount it right where that guy has his X300 mounted on the left hand side just ahead of the forend. You may be able to mount a small rail right on the forend too.

My 870 is a Express Tactical. I replaced the MIM extractor with a non-MIM one and also replaced the carrier latch spring with this one. The extractor took a little bit of fitting but runs well now. I put a Wilson +2 mag extention on it too but that is it so far. I need to put more rounds through it and decide what I want to do about sights and accessories. These are fun guns and are tough as nails. Make sure not to baby the slide. They need to be run hard.

Shoot first then change things......Plenty of cops have done good work with 4 and 5 shot bead sighted shotguns over the years, not saying that's ideal or we shouldn't look for better.

I have a 12" Hogue stock on a work shotgun, it's okay with armor. I think it's easier to run a shotgun with a slightly bladed stance, not HK squared up and not Camp Perry bladed. Honestly I think some people take the short LOP to the extreme. If you want to try out a 12" Hogue shoot me a PM, I have one that has a cracked recoil pad, it's still serviceable and free.

I really don't like the new Surefire DSF. It's too slick and the wedge shape of the light housing can beat the snot out of you pump hand index finger. All Surefire forends are heavy. I like the GG&G forends with a TLR, but I don't think those forends are being made anymore.

Esstac 5 round side saddles are what I use, I'm OCD and 5 rounds in a box to a 5 round side saddle works out well. 3gungear side saddles are nice, but the guy that runs the shop is a total flake and his shipping times are eventually.

I'm in the lean and mean camp. I wouldn't even leave a shotgun out of the safe except my wife's CWP instructor made a big deal about shotguns for HD and she was all for it. So I've got an 870 in the bedroom. Longest shot in the house is less than 30'.

Sights-870 bead/ramp
    Capacity-4 rounds in the tube
    Side saddle-transition to 92F if 4 rounds doesn't work
    Light-old 3P in a cheesy clamp mount. Lights up the bead and is enough light to ID before BOOM.
    Stock-Standard length. I don't wear Level III armor to bed and I'm a big dude so it works for me.

The only thing I'd put money into would be a better light/mount, but this is a low probability of deployment weapon for me.
    Last edited by Hambo; 09-28-2015 at 05:26 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Anyone have a light set up with the magpul forend?

I am also leaning towards the hogue stock with 12 inch lop (I'm a small guy). Anyone recommend the magpul stock instead?
    I'm a fan of the magpul stocks. I like the way they balance the gun. I also like the stippling on the pistol grip for easier control.

Converted all of our dept shotguns- they're all at 13" LOP. The troops love 'em.

The last conversion, last week:

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    My 870 is a Express Tactical. I replaced the MIM extractor with a non-MIM one ... The extractor took a little bit of fitting but runs well now.
    ^^^This is truth. If you do not check the extractor for fit when you install it, you could wind up clear across the country, prison-filing your extractor on the concrete out front of your hotel room in the middle of the night.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Now that I just finished cleaning my 870, there is one thing that I would really recommend upgrading and that is the follower. The plastic followers and shot buffer do not play nice together. I use Nordics, but Vang and Brownells also make metal followers that seem fairly resistant to getting gummed up with buffer.

So the 870 I have on the way has the bead/pedestal. I saw that xs makes an easy to install night sight front for it. Any thoughts on those?

User Tag List