Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Interesting. So far my first purchase for upgrades are going to be:

1. +2 Mag tube by SGTech/WC
    2. XS Big Dot epoxy for pedastal FS.

Next decision tree is stock and mounting option. Still torn about how to mount a light but I have a good enough solution at the moment so no rush. Stock I will probably go Magpul; only question is whether or not to get the fore-end + rail too.

I'm a nobody Neph but I like your thinking & where you seem headed.

Biased no doubt re. the MP stocks but good choice there & glad to see you're not getting all wrapped around the axle on the light issue, you'll solve that conundrum down the road.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 07-18-2017 at 07:13 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    I'm a nobody Neph but I like your thinking & where you seem headed.

Biased no doubt re. the MP stocks but good choice there & glad to see you're not getting all wrapped around the axle on the light issue, you'll solve that conundrum down the road.
    Thanks.

Just ordered:
    1. the XS sight
    2. the WC/SGTech +2 tube - left side sling loop (incl. new follower and spring)
    3. SGTech enlarged safety. Would have gone with the VC Part but Midway didnt have it in stock and Brownell's thinks I can't order a +2 tube in CO (They are wrong). I'm sure the SG part will be fine.

Also snagged a black Remington synthetic Youth stock on Ebay for $25. Figured it'd be a cheap way to see how I like the shorter LOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    For me, yes. I have both the XS big dot epoxied on one of my 870's and one with the XS 870 barrel. I hit far more consistently with with both slugs and Fed. FC buck with the XS rifle sights on the barrel. FC buck and Brenneke Home Defense tactical shoot to the same POA at 15-25 yards with the XS 870 barrel. The Big Dot is better than just a bead on pedestal, and it glows, but I prefer the actual sights. My light on the fore end lights up the front sight, so the glow in the dark feature is not as important for me. I live in the mountains too, and it gets dark at night so a light is critical.
    Is the rear drift adjustable or am I stuck with windage? I know there's no elevation adjustments.

I'm using Remington 8-pellet stuff, so I've got a bit wider spread than the FC stuff at ranges that matter to me, but I can certainly see how a rear sight would help with FC.

I have ten THDs around. I'll have to see where they print before selecting a slug, but my gut says that's the one. Not too punishing on recoil for what it is -- certainly better than my misadventure with Special Forces Magnums.

Site Supporter
    Interesting. So far my first purchase for upgrades are going to be:

1. +2 Mag tube by SGTech/WC
    2. XS Big Dot epoxy for pedastal FS.

Next decision tree is stock and mounting option. Still torn about how to mount a light but I have a good enough solution at the moment so no rush. Stock I will probably go Magpul; only question is whether or not to get the fore-end + rail too.
    This shotgun disease is contagious. I just ordered the Magpul fore end for my 870P and a new mag spring. I put the Magpul stock on a few months ago and really like it. I need to look into the Big Dot front site.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    This shotgun disease is contagious. I just ordered the Magpul fore end for my 870P and a new mag spring. I put the Magpul stock on a few months ago and really like it. I need to look into the Big Dot front site.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Glad to be a bad influence

OK, so give me the rundown on these surefire lights.

I know there are roughly 3(?) generations - the older Laser Products model, the 618, and the DSF-870.

What are people's thoughts on each? There's a DSF-870 on Ebay that looks basically brand new for $200 BIN... thoughts?

I know there are roughly 3(?) generations - the older Laser Products model, the 618, and the DSF-870.

What are people's thoughts on each? There's a DSF-870 on Ebay that looks basically brand new for $200 BIN... thoughts?
    I've got the newer DSF-870 which addressed the battery drainage issues some reported in the past. I don't get out with it a whole lot but I've been pleased with its performance over the past couple of years.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Is the rear drift adjustable or am I stuck with windage? I know there's no elevation adjustments.

I'm using Remington 8-pellet stuff, so I've got a bit wider spread than the FC stuff at ranges that matter to me, but I can certainly see how a rear sight would help with FC.

I have ten THDs around. I'll have to see where they print before selecting a slug, but my gut says that's the one. Not too punishing on recoil for what it is -- certainly better than my misadventure with Special Forces Magnums.
    Rear is drift adjustable.

Got lucky with THD slugs, my local hardware store started stocking them. What happened with the "Special forces Magnums"?

I own all three lights. I would go with the DSF-870.

The switches are easier to manipulate. They are also set up so you have fewer light "ND's". The weight is nice and light, the latest unit is relatively compact as well.

Best of all, it is configured to be easiest to operate with the "push-pull" method of recoil control taught by Rob Haught.

The oldest Laser Products (or first generation) is my second favorite. The 618 is my least favorite, and now resides on the shotgun I shoot the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    What happened with the "Special forces Magnums"?
    They're a Brenneke load, IIRC 1 1/4oz @ 1600FPS. Pain, misery, and bruising ensued. I also learned an important lesson about not wrapping my thumb around the stock.

User Tag List